“Good Food, Huge Portions”

Roosters Bar & Restaurant at Morley Hayes
Ranked #2 of 9 Restaurants in Morley
Cuisines: Bar, European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Good Food, Huge Portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Went for dinner with work collegues. Pint in the bar followed by a meal. I had a nice fish cake starter followed by the sausages and mash. It was very good and there was a lot. Although I enjoyed the starter I would pass the next time as a main and starter was just too much food. My companions enjoyed their lamb and pork mains and we all decided that a return visit was on the cards next time we were in town.

• Visited November 2012
Andrew A, Owner at Roosters Bar & Restaurant at Morley Hayes, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Our meals are renowned for the generous portions! However we do have a menu which offers smaller portions so hopefully next time you can still manage and enjoy two courses as the fish cakes are scrumptious!

Derby, United Kingdom
“Chris & Biba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have attended many functions over the years at Morley Hayes and have always been delighted with the atmosphere, service and price. Our recent visit Friday 2nd November saw us having a late lunch in the Roosters Bar at short notice. We were looking to go out for a quick pub lunch and was so comfortable with the surroundings we stayed nearly 6 hours and had a fantastic evening! Food was excellent and all locally sourced, very attentive staff with a great knowledge of the wine and food menus. Would definitely recommend a visit and definitely Going back soon!

• Visited November 2012
Andrew A, Owner at Roosters Bar & Restaurant at Morley Hayes, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Biba

Thank you for such a lovely review and it is so nice to hear what a great evening you all had. See you next time!
Derby, United Kingdom
“brill food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

excellent quality meat you can tell only the best is used but didn,t like being in a back room because no room for us in rooster bar, it was cold and had to ask for heating to be switched on at least three times, other than this morley hayes is best restarant around for quality and definatly worth a visit once christmas decs are out it looks wonderful

• Visited October 2012
Andrew A, Owner at Roosters Bar & Restaurant at Morley Hayes, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Janet
Many thanks for the review on Roosters Bar here at Morley Hayes. It is good to hear you had a most enjoyable time. We source our meat either from our own farms or from farmers within Derbyshire.
Christmas is a special time here at Morley Hayes and we do "go to town" on our decorations and it is nice to hear they are appreciated.
The back room I am sorry that it was cold - however we only use that as an overspill. We are just about to start building an extension to Roosters Bar which should resolve being short on tables.
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
“delicious food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

i took my best friend here for her birthday,the restaurant is great and the food is fantastic.i wounld recommend morley hayes to anyone who loves quality food cook to perfection,i just wish the potions were just a little bigger tho.well worth the money you wont be disappointed that's for sure.

• Visited May 2012
Andrew A, Owner at Roosters Bar & Restaurant at Morley Hayes, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and its great to hear you had a enjoyable time
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Delightful ambience, delicious food and first class toilets!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I was told many years ago that the way to assess a horseman was to check out the assiduousness with which the muck heap was managed! If you don't mind extrapolation, apply this to restaurants! If the loos are spotless, then you can usually be sure that the management team have applied their high standards from the top to the bottom, if you'll pardon the pun! When I walked into the sweet-smelling loos at Roosters Bar & Restaurant and spotted Molton Brown handsoap and handcream perched above a glistening handbasin I smiled, This, I thought was a sign of good things to come, and boy was I right!

My husband was addressing balls with his new golf clubs on their maiden outing in the superb driving range at Morleys Hays, and knowing that I was in need of recuperative coffee suggested that I wandered down to Roosters. Sometimes, the blissful laziness that accompanies morning coffee seems lost amidst the hurried modern cafe culture that characterizes our high streets, but at Roosters my requested was treated with graciousness and charm. I partook of a perfect cup of piping hot black coffee and sat sipping the warming brew while I indulged myself with Country Life Magazine interupting myself to peruse the even more interesting menu.

When an establishment makes a casual caller feel so welcome that they stay much longer than they intended, so much so that they exhort their dear husband to remain for a long leisurely lunch, they should be commended for having got things absolutely right!

My salmon sandwich was a delight: the fish was juicy, light and plentiful and the granary bread was malty, nutty and ultra-fresh; PERFECT! It's a mark of thoughtfulness for chefs to send out food with dressings served separately so that diners can control what they eat, and I commend Roosters for adopting this policy. I added just a modicum of zingy mayo to my sandwich which worked well for me. My husband's burger, wrapped in bacon and cheese and served with chips and a side salad brought a huge smile to his face. His beer was well served [Tribute, Cornwall] and my pot of tea was just as it should be: very hot indeed and flavoursome. We both decided to investigate the desserts menu: my fruit salad was tasty and fresh but lacked colour, being largely comprised of 'white' fruits like galia melon and apple and was served with either cream or ice cream, neither of which I wanted. My husband pronounced his hot Bakewell Tart and vanilla flecked icecream to be a toothsome delight.

Morley Hays is so much more than a great spot for golfers. Roosters showcases informal eating with style, imagination and high standards, and I'm really looking forward to another visit, not just for a fragrant trip to the Ladies!!!!

• Visited October 2012
Andrew04, Owner at Roosters Bar & Restaurant at Morley Hayes, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you so much for the great, amusing but highly complementary review of Roosters Bar here at Morley Hayes. Delighted you enjoyed your visit and hope your husband enjoyed addresssing balls on the driving range! Clean toilets are essential in any establishment and we do clean ours severel times a day.