“An excellent golfing venue”

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Reviewed September 22, 2012

The visit to Breadsall Priory was arranged via Golfbreaks for a party of 12 people that I had organised to go with this company for a Sunday to Monday break. We all arrived late on the Sunday morning for a snacks and drinks in the leisure area of the hotel. As expected, most of us were unable to check into our rooms at this time, although one or two couples did find that their rooms were available. The leisure centre was very pleasant and the food and drinks of good quality although as expected the prices for drinks were very high.
After playing the Moorland course, which we all enjoyed very much, we all checked in to our rooms which I think everyone was pleased with. They were spacious and had all of the expected facilities for a hotel of this standard. We all met for drinks prior to our dinner in a small room off the main bar area and we assisted by a very helpful lady who arranged drinks and provided dinner menus.
The dinner menu was wide and varied and was more than sufficient to cater for the requirements of all members of the group. Some of the items on the menu had an added supplement and this is where problems occurred. The service was excellent. A number of the party chose courses with a supplement, but there did not seem to be any record taken of who had ordered what. Additionally three of us separately order bottles of wine for the table whilst others ordered beers. At the end of the meal it became a bit of a nightmare sorting out who had had what and how it was to be paid for. Some chose to have the supplements put onto their room account and others chose to pay cash at the time.
To me it appeared that this process had not gone well and I was not surprised, as group leader, to find that my room bill the next morning contained about a dozen items from the previous evening that I had never had. I queried this at reception and a very efficient receptionist revised the bill quickly. At breakfast I found that others had received bills containing unexplained items, so I went back to reception and expressed my concern and disappointment that, as the organiser of the group, this had happened. The receptionist agreed to check all items billed to my group against the dockets that were held and later informed me that all of the charges had all been written off. It seemed clear that the lack of proper recording at the dinner meant that it had become impossible to charge people properly or account for items that no one had any knowledge of. This problem was dealt with very quickly and efficiently, but was not one that should be anticipated at a hotel of this quality.
We then played the Priory course before leaving. This course is excellent and golfers of any standard would, I am sure, enjoy playing this course. After the round we again had snacks and drinks in the leisure centre before leaving.
Overall this was a first class experience and a location I would be very happy to return to both for the golf and the accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Aceputter

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Enjoyed a recent break in this lovely area of the country, Breadsall was well placed for visiting a couple of National Trust properties we wanted to visit (Hardwick Hall and Kedleston) plus a great day to Buxton and back. Our room was beautiful, nicely decorated and furnished, absolutely spotless, superior linens. I also appreciated the little extras: iron & ironing board, hair dryer, lots of toiletries. (note to the reviewer who called this hotel 3 star - last 3 star I stayed in had soap in a dispenser, and none of these facilities). We ate in the Tempo bar both evenings, the food was tasty, the portions generous and the service was speedy. The cost compared favourably with my local gastro pub. Breakfast on Sunday was busy, but we were asked to take a seat in the adjacent bar and did not wait long. A well stocked buffet style hot breakfast, with fried eggs, omelettes and waffles made to order. The grounds were stunning, what a lovely place it would be for a wedding or special occasion. I don't quite understand why someone has posted photos of linen bags, how else do you expect your room to be serviced?! Would recommend for both business in nearby Derby or for a leisure break.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2012

A nice hotel but agree with others - very pricey, also the breakfast was total chaos due to the golfers and a lack of staff, considering they must be fully aware of the number of guests staying I feel this was not accceptable. Have stayed a couple of times at the hotel but only because we needed to be close to relatives otherwise would have chosen somewhere cheaper and more organised

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This is probably one of the better Marriott Hotel and Country Clubs we have stayed at. The location is perfect, just 5 or 6 minutes from the Derby ring road. As you approach, you drive through the golf course and then come to the old house which has the main reception, restaurant etc.

As mentioned by other reviewers, most of the bedrooms are in a more modern block to the rear of the old house but even this block is stone built and blends in well with the location. Because the old house, new block and the leisure club are all built on different levels, there are a fair amount of steps to be encountered when moving around the building. Our room was on the ground floor of the rear block and the restaurant is on the ground floor of the old house. Our journey from the room to breakfast involved 92 steps up or down! This wasn’t a problem for us but if you have problems with stairs you may struggle. We did see a lady in a wheelchair in the restaurant so there are some lifts connecting the various levels but I would imagine that many part of the hotel will be “off limits” for the less able.

We found the hotel staff were, without exception, friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very high standard with prepared fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt, cold meat and cheese, a wide range of cooked food and eggs cooked to order and the usual range of bread, pastries and cakes.

In the evening, the main Priory restaurant seemed very quiet with only one or two couples in it. For two evenings, we ate in the Tempo restaurant which is attached to the golf/leisure club and were very pleased with both the quality and quantity of the food (we can recommend the chicken and salmon!). The first time, the food took about 30 minutes to arrive, on the other occasion about 15 minutes.

There are three car parks for the hotel, one by reception, one by the newer accommodation block and one for the golf club. We had no trouble finding a parking space but the car park by the accommodation block seemed to be full each evening. However, there were always spaces at the first car park by reception. As noted by others, you need to check in before unloading your car because you will almost certainly then have to drive round the rear of the building to the other car park to unload your car - or manage cases up and down all those stairs!

We had the standard room and it was fine. Plenty of room for two people with a decent sized bathroom as well. Décor not cutting edge but clean and well maintained. There was no air conditioning in the room but the windows open and we did not need aircon in early September.

We used the leisure club pool each morning - it is probably about 14 meters by 9 meters and the Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna all worked well.

All in all we were very happy with the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed our four days in Derbyshire and will certainly return here again for a short break.

Room Tip: Standard rooms in the newer part of the hotel are fine.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I generally like Marriott properties. Not necessarily luxurious, but high quality and good value for money. You get what you expect, which when you're traveling is no bad thing. So when I planned a mini golf break to celebrate my twin son's 13th birthday, the Breadsall Priory seemed like the perfect place. To be fair, the golf was great and Darren the resident pro was fabulous. However, the rooms and the food are in no way shape or form four star! In fact, I've stayed in three star hotels that are nicer. The rooms are small and dated, bordering on depressing. Here's more: Grout in bathroom missing and / or rusted, dirty windows, dirty laundry in the hallways and in bins next to the car park, dated and even missing furniture (our king bedded room had one lounge chair and an empty space where another chair once was). The food is expensive but poor. For example, the pizza in the Tempo bar was soggy and the curry was inedible. As for breakfast, you can expect greasy, undercooked bacon, limp hash brown potatoes and stale bread. If you do go, hold out for the freshly cooked omelette or waffle which are very good. Finally, a word about the service. The staff at the Breadsall Priory really do try hard. But the problem is they don't seem to know how to provide four star service. The painter will walk through the restaurant, brush in hand. The reception staff don't ask "How was your stay?" Maybe it's because they haven't been trained to ask this basic question or is it that they don't dare? (I guess that's why there were no questions asked when I told the receptionist II wanted to check out a day early.) Do I sound angry? You bet I am. The Marriott has let me down on what was supposed to be a special time for me and my family. I spent a lot and got very little. My advice, book your holiday somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Paula R
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The oldest Marriott in the world in stunning grounds near Derby, what an amazing looking building!
The rooms were quite dated though and some need to be updated and I'm not sure they match the incredibly high price tag.
We ate in the bar area as it was more casual after a days work and was disappointed by the quality of the food.
A few local beers were available by the bottle but nothing on draft which was also disappointing as the area is rich with local beers.
Verdict: not really worth the money unless you just want to stay in a very special old building.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I was part of a golf society playing several rounds over the Bank Holiday. The 2 courses at Breadsall provided a great challenge for us, the Priory course being slightly more difficult than the Moorland. Both courses were in fantastic condition and the views across the countryside from some of the holes were superb. I would recommend playing both courses if choosing a golfing break here rather than settling for the much-acclaimed Priory course only.
The hotel staff were very friendly and the facilities all that would be expected of such an establishment. Our room was spacious and very well maintained, as well as being close to all relevant facilities. Both breakfast and evening meal were superb, only criticism has to be the bar prices - not sure how a Jack Daniels and Coke and Whisky and Ginger warrants over £15. Overall, a great venue for a golfing break.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!