The visit to Breadsall Priory was arranged via Golfbreaks for a party of 12 people that I had organised to go with this company for a Sunday to Monday break. We all arrived late on the Sunday morning for a snacks and drinks in the leisure area of the hotel. As expected, most of us were unable to check into our rooms at this time, although one or two couples did find that their rooms were available. The leisure centre was very pleasant and the food and drinks of good quality although as expected the prices for drinks were very high.
After playing the Moorland course, which we all enjoyed very much, we all checked in to our rooms which I think everyone was pleased with. They were spacious and had all of the expected facilities for a hotel of this standard. We all met for drinks prior to our dinner in a small room off the main bar area and we assisted by a very helpful lady who arranged drinks and provided dinner menus.
The dinner menu was wide and varied and was more than sufficient to cater for the requirements of all members of the group. Some of the items on the menu had an added supplement and this is where problems occurred. The service was excellent. A number of the party chose courses with a supplement, but there did not seem to be any record taken of who had ordered what. Additionally three of us separately order bottles of wine for the table whilst others ordered beers. At the end of the meal it became a bit of a nightmare sorting out who had had what and how it was to be paid for. Some chose to have the supplements put onto their room account and others chose to pay cash at the time.
To me it appeared that this process had not gone well and I was not surprised, as group leader, to find that my room bill the next morning contained about a dozen items from the previous evening that I had never had. I queried this at reception and a very efficient receptionist revised the bill quickly. At breakfast I found that others had received bills containing unexplained items, so I went back to reception and expressed my concern and disappointment that, as the organiser of the group, this had happened. The receptionist agreed to check all items billed to my group against the dockets that were held and later informed me that all of the charges had all been written off. It seemed clear that the lack of proper recording at the dinner meant that it had become impossible to charge people properly or account for items that no one had any knowledge of. This problem was dealt with very quickly and efficiently, but was not one that should be anticipated at a hotel of this quality.
We then played the Priory course before leaving. This course is excellent and golfers of any standard would, I am sure, enjoy playing this course. After the round we again had snacks and drinks in the leisure centre before leaving.
Overall this was a first class experience and a location I would be very happy to return to both for the golf and the accommodation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club is a magnificent Grade II listed, 13th century stately residence set in breathtaking scendery on the edge of the Peak District near Derby. History meets modern comfort at this spectacular location. You will be impressed from the moment you arrive. Close to East Midlands Airport, Alton Towers, The Peak District National Park and major motorway and rail links means you enjoy historic splendour while staying close to what's really important! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breadsall Priory, a Marriott Hotel And Country Club
- Marriott Derby
- Derby Marriott
- Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club Morley, Derbyshire