1,145 results
All reviews golf course golf break golf club round of golf in great condition course evening meal claret jug hotel bar bar prices travelzoo deal tea and coffee reception area buffet style lovely grounds the ground floor pro shop one night stay
Selected filters
Reviewed May 17, 2019

I initially had some worries around our golf trip to Wychwood Park in May this year due to a few reviews I had read but all in all we have a very nice time. The positivies for me were the friendly staff in the Hotel and in the Pro Shop itself. The Claret Jug bar was lovely and with our discount tokens for beer the prices were more than reasonable. The Restuartant was very nice and breakfast was the best thing about it. Evening meals were from a set menu so were a little bit boring but we could live with that.

The restaurant staff were very helpful and one of our group was a Vegan, they made extra effort to proivde different dinner options for him which was appreciated.

The golf course was very nice but a challenge, especially for the high handicappers in the group. If a group of you are travelling together then take plenty of balls, the 7th hole Par 5 in particular takes some getting used to.

On the down side the Hotel itself is in need of a little bit of an overhaul. I undertsand there is a refurb starting which is due I would say. The rooms were basic but for us they were fine. The shower however was a bit of a problem as it kept flooding the whole bathroom.

Once the refurbishment has taken place this will be a fantastic Hotel and Golf Venue. We had a very nice time and I would recommend the place but maybe wait until the refurb is completed.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Robert G, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2019

Many thanks for the thorough review. Refurbishment is completed in Autumn 2019 however first tranche of bedrooms are available from mid June.

Look forward to welcoming your group back in the future

Rob

Reviewed May 6, 2019

Room on the ground floor which was very helpful to us with mobility issues.
Pleasant room, but a little outdated but a refurbishment programme is starting so it has great potential.
Reception staff were very welcoming and efficient on arrival.
Bar staff very good, and panoramic views spacious bar area enjoyable.
Restaurant team were exemplary very attentive service, and helpful with dietary requirements, I can see this team going far with service awards.

Room tip: Ask reception in advance and they will try to accommodate you
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Robert G, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2019

Many thanks for your feedback which i will share with the team. Your positive comments are most welcome and we look forward to welcoming you back to Wychwood park

regards

Reviewed May 1, 2019

Stayed overnight for a company function , which included a threee course meal. on arrival staff were very helpful at reception. Our room was a very poor standard, broken, scratched furniture, worn out carpets, shabby bathroom with very little toiletries. I can honestly say I have stayed in better budget hotels!! Drinks from the bar were very overpriced. I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and the presentation of the evening meal was certainly the most interesting I have come across, I think Gordon Ramsey's kitchen nightmares should be called in, the roast lemon chicken had no flavour of lemon at all, and the meal was most certainly all out of a freezer. The function room was great and staff were very helpful and dispite all of the negatives, we had a good night. I notice on the company facebook page extensive rennovations are starting this week.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Robert G, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2019

Hi

Many thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us. As you point out. our refurbishment programme has just started and should finish toward the end of the year. I shall share your comments with the team.
Despite your extensive culinary knowledge, I can confirm that the sweet was the only 'bought in' item.

regards

Reviewed April 29, 2019 via mobile

We had an overnight stay for a company presentation evening with 3 course meal.
The staff throughout were excellent, friendly and helpful!
However, the room was very dated and tired, stained surfaces in the bathroom, varnish peeling of the furniture, dust on the chairs and in all in all in need of a good upgrade.
The meal served for the function was not good at all for a 4* hotel. The main course of chicken was the most bland meal I have tasted in a restaurant. A chicken breast, a few warmed up (I suspect frozen) carrots and beans, and 3 small potatoes with a very thin tasteless gravy, and vey little seasoning! Disappointing for the people who organised it! The actual event was a great success and the staff were very attentive! Bar a bit over priced even for a hotel!

Trip type: Traveled on business
Robert G, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2019

Many thanks for your feedback which will be shared with the team and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. Our food is fresh and prepared in our kitchens.

On a positive note, we started our £3M refurbishment programme on 29th April which will have a positive impact on the property, as per your observations

Reviewed April 28, 2019 via mobile

Arrived mid afternoon for an overnight stay to attend a works function at the hotel. Arrived at the reception and was ignored while the receptionist spoke to fellow staff members for several minutes. Finally checked in and given the room key, when we went to the room we were met by very old fashioned decor and a very wobbly bed side light. After getting ready for the party we were shocked to see the carpet absolutely sodden, on checking the bathroom floor was dry and the towel we put on the floor while we bathed was relatively dry so we could only assume it had come through the wall or elsewhere. We then went to the party the meal was cold but on hot plates and even though the menu must have been agreed it was interesting to have a Ploughman’s as a starter. For a mid range hotel drinks were expensive as an example a glass of Prosecco was £8.50.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your feedback and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us. Not acceptable to be ignored by our receptionist however can't get to the bottom of the sodden carpet, we continue to investigate. I will review the Prosecco price however am struggling to understand the coll meal. I watched as the plates entered the convection ovens and after 10 minutes the food is ready to serve. It should not have been cold, apologies again

On a positive note, we started our £3M refurbishment programme on 29th April which will refresh and impove our guest journey and experience