“Great Hotel, superb location”

Wychwood Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I stayed here for a night recently and found it a great place to relax after a long day. The bar was large and had plenty of seating, the conference facilities are first class and the only slight negative was the handling of a problem with the delivery of my food in the bar. The food itself was great and good value for money.

If I was a golfer, this would be a fantastic location for a mini break.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Pacebos
Thank you for your recent review.
Good to read you had a great stay and a perfect break for a mini golfing break.
Pleased you were able to relax and found bar and food to your liking, I will follow up with the bar team on food service.
Look forward to seeing you back soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Spent two nights on Buy a gift deal, very good value
Good size comfortable rooms, excellent buffet breakfast all in beautiful surroundings.
Pleasant helpful staff ,altogether a wonderful break in a very nice part of the country

Room Tip: Rooms at the back have lovely views across the golf course
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear David T
Thank you for your recent review.
I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Venue and found the staff pleasant and helpful.
I have to agree a lovely location to explore from.
Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Just spent a very enjoyable 2 night groupon deal here with friends. The reception staff were friendly and accommodating and had kindly already placed us in rooms opposite each other. The hotel is obviously a popular venue for golfers and for conferences but we were made to feel equally welcomed. The rooms were a reasonable size and the bed firm but comfortable. We all agreed that the showers were impressive but the T.V's do need updating. We all enjoyed our meals, particularly my wife. She has an intolerance to salt and was very grateful to the chef who checked all ingredients in her food to overcome this problem. A free bottle of wine to compensate for a mix up in booking was also gratefully received. Breakfasts were equally tasty and having the various elements of the meal at different parts of the dining room cut down any bottlenecks at busy times. All the staff we met were both friendly and helpful particularly Rebecca and Sharon. A return visit is already being talked about.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear Sandbar60
Thank you for recent posting.
I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and are looking to come back already.
Good to read you found the staff friendly and accommodating at the front desk, restaurant and chef especially Rebecca and Sharon.
As mentioned in previous reviews our new televisions arrive 7th July and the new beds a month later.
After a previous review it was good to see that the breakfast buffet stations were easily located and reduced any bottlenecks.
I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stopped here July 2014

I wouldn't say this is a flagship De Vere.

The approach to the hotel is lovely, there is a golf course etc.

The small things start to appear immediately.

At the entrance chrome fountain, with streaks of moss up it.

Dust and cobwebs on the cable on the lights in reception, tired and damage paint on the corridor walls. 1 out of 2 Coffee machines out of order in the reception area

Reception desk very shoddy and worn out.

Check in: One member of staff at check-in, polite but very slow. Another member of staff went around behind the desk and asked ' Can I help anyone who doesn't need checking in?' he said this to to a cue of people carrying bags.

Room: Clean and tidy but no more special than a Travelodge even the TV wouldn't be out of place in a Travelodge. My colleague said that in her room, the bed looked like it hadn't been made. The pillows were incredibly hard, leading to a very uncomfortable nights sleep.

WiFi: free but its a pain, on a computer you fill in your details once and you are in. On a smart phone you have keep reregistering, painful.

Restaurant/Bar: Went to the restaurant and was asked to eat in the bar upstairs as they were keeping it for an event, fair enough. Went upstairs to order from the bar. They seemed to be understaffed as food service was very slow, but all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

They would do things like bring the meals (from down stairs) one at a time. They bought my meal (a pricey but stingy portion of Fish and chips) but no condiments. I asked for ketchup and it took so long I had to ask at the bar where the waiter had gone to. When he turned up he said that the chef wouldn't let him bring the ketchup until the other meals for our table was ready. In the mean time my food was getting cold.

Food quality: Nice sized fish, but it had that frozen texture about it and a very small portion of chips bought out on a trendy plank of wood, a plate would have been better. The batter was crunchy but greasy. My colleague had the same greasy finish on his battered squid. How ever it tasted OK, but I would expect better at a local chip shop.

Breakfast: A good buffet selection but needed to be a bit hotter, the food was just on the warm side. They did however have gluten free bread so top marks for that.

Check out was quick and efficient from the same over worked receptionist.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NigelBaller

Dear NigelBaller
Thank you for your recent review.
One of our 4 coffee machines was out of order on tuesday and an engineer called with a 24 hour turnaround, I am sorry this inconvenienced you but each of the energy stations has 2 machines and in addition we added flasks of coffee at busier times during the day.
As in previous reviews the new televisions arrive in less than a week and beds a month later, some of the other works you raise will be covered by those projects.
Will look into bar and restaurant team who were on the night you stayed so they can be more organised in the way they approach each shift.
Pleased you enjoyed the food and breakfast with the provision of gluten free bread.
Good to read the check out was friendly and efficient.
Hopefully see you back soon.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Having read the reviews, maybe we should not have gone to Wychwood Park as it does not cater for people who just want a nice break away for a couple of nights. It's purely for business/conference accommodation & facilities. I will start with the positives as it wasn't all bad.
The Hotel is in lovely surroundings which includes a golf course (if you like golf) & a gated community of exec houses. We did get a good deal for bed & breakfast for 2 nights in a double room. Like many have mentioned, there are many tea/coffee "stations" throughout the Hotel so we were never short of drinks. The drink stations also provided cold water and various types of hot drinks and cold milk. Free newspapers and free wifi were also available in the foyer. The Hotel foyer is clean & there is plenty of seating.
Now for the bad news. The reception was clinical and efficient as opposed to friendly and confident, a minor problem you may think, but a lack of warmth among the more senior staff was palpable. We booked in for Dinner that evening and went to our room. At first glance the room was clean with a very large bed. The chair was strangely placed outside the bathroom, with an ironing board and iron placed on the wall. The bathroom was clean and in good condition/modern. No better than the newer Travelodge's. One tiny bar of soap & an equally tiny "shot" of shampoo/shower gel was also provided. The towels were fresh & white & there was plenty of toilet paper & a box of hankies.
That was at first glance but at first "feel" we were hit by a wall of heat. The windows were open but no air at all was circulating. OK it was a very warm day in June, but we would have thought a modern Hotel would have air conditioning.
We decided to have a siesta after our long drive but within seconds the bed was too hard by far. It was also 2 beds pushed together. I am no lightweight and the mattress did not yield when I lay on it. The headboard was for a normal double bed but this was a third bigger and the space around the bed was limited. I decided to move the armchair by the window to get some air but there was none to take in.
We had a cuppa (that was the last of the tea bags gone) and put on the TV which was annoying as they words were half cut off, the heads of people were cut off and the batteries kept falling out when we changed channels. By this time we decided to ask to move. We had done this before, no questions asked in a few places, and we are aware that a lot of Hotels put the people using deals into the same rooms. We had a view of the car park & reception in 131.
My partner went to reception and asked to be moved due to lack of ventilation and uncomfortable bed. He was told in a very passive-aggressive tone to use the fan provided and that all rooms were the same. Something we realise now is part of the script. The fan provided was in the cupboard, a desk fan with as much power as blowing on a baby's cheek!
Not happy, we went down for Dinner, an informal affair and until we sat down, a set menu. 2 courses for £20 or 3 courses for £25. It was at this point we almost fell off our chairs at the wine list prices! We love Rioja - almost £10 each for a large glass each. We decided to get one as "we're on our holidays". The large glass was a normal size glass and the food was
bland. The lady we paid, presumably some sort of manager as she wore a jacket & the others didn't, was hot & flustered and complained that we hadn't swiped our card at reception & the system should be changed were everyone should be told to do so on booking in.....we stopped listening after this and paid the extortionate bill.
We then went to the bar were 2x G & T's cost over £13! We did get Bombay Sapphire but a bottle is £18 so we almost paid for a bottle for them! Not happy we sat outside and had no more drinks that night. We're not big drinkers but a couple of days away usually involve eating, drinking, interesting things to do and comfort - not here. There was nothing else to do so we went back to the room.
Going to bed was very uncomfortable and therefore we didn't sleep well at all. Apart from the bed being so hard, the fan was next to useless and there was no air circulating.
The next morning we showered ( quite a good shower but due to the glass door not fitting snuggly to the bath edge, we soaked the floor!!!) went for breakfast feeling very tired and achy, not to mention grumpy. Breakfast was a bit farcical, as we sat down, then as we couldn't see anything else, we went for the full English. It was only at the end we realised there was meat & cheese. The breakfast was bland, bland, bland. We then saw people with juice and wondered where they were and where were the cereals, bread/toast etc?. We had to ask after 10 mins for some tea & coffee, which was brought to us by a very harassed looking waitress. On the way out we saw the juice "station".
We were hoping that since the Hotel was so far from anywhere, we would stay there for the day.Also as we were so tired after the terrible night we would have a lie down. We had a very fitful hours sleep and felt exhausted. We went for a walk in the grounds for some fresh air but after a while we were bored stiff. We love the outdoors but theres only so much "country" in a golf course. We sat in the foyer and had coffees, people watching and generally trying to relax without falling asleep. We didn't want to use the wifi as this is what we do at home & work. We wandered aimlessly to our room then got ready to go to the bar at 4pm to beat the rush and watch the England game. To our surprise we were told the bar was opening shortly, an hour earlier than usual for the match. Very unusual for a Hotel bar. We took our places by the TV & ordered our meal while the place was empty. It was cheaper than the restaurant, but the match had started and the seating area had filled up by the time we received our meals. The portion size was large but again it was bland - even the chilli was bland, no heat & no use of seasoning - seems this is a problem with your chefs - do they taste their food?
We realised there were lots of groups of people, business speak was all around us and a group of 50 turned up for a bbq. I suppose if we had read the reviews we would have realised the Hotel does not cater for couples or families. After the match we sat in the foyer outside the bar, people watching, especially a large group of young people - possibly a Prom night or Graduation party. They were based downstairs but everybody had to trapse upstairs for every drink, no bar downstairs.
We went back to our room without a drink that night. Again we didn't sleep much and were tired and grumpy. I decided to have a continental breakfast as I'd seen the meat and cheese. We got juice this time, then booked in & sat down at a table which was dirty, no cutlery, one cup used, . the other tables were the same... I cleaned the table myself and we got our own cutlery off another table and a clean cup. Then I went for meats & cheeses only to find chorizo and a couple of types of cheese, no utensils to pick it up with and brown or tomato sauce (ketchup) not what I call continental. I picked it up with my fingers and got myself some tomatoes from the hot choice and a hash brown. This made it a bit more palatable. My partner decided to have a full english again as he couldn't be bothered rooting around for stuff. There was no bread to be seen, but I asked a man where he got his toast and he directed us around the corner where the was a table with cereals and then further on a table with bread and self service toaster. I decided to have a bowl of rice crispies, only because I hadn't had them for years but the method of serving them caused a large spillage and the waitress had to stand by to catch all the cereal as the bowls were either too small or the cereal dispenser gave out too much. Ever wished you hadn't bothered!
We eventually got back to our table & again had to catch a very harassed looking waitress & ask for tea & coffee. We went back to our room then, showered, dressed and out by 10. When asked if we had enjoyed our stay, I replied well the bed was way too hard, we were told all the rooms were the same though when we asked to move - she replied that this was true but that they were awaiting a refurbishment soon so hopefully things will improve. Again since reading reviews we realise this is too part of the script and has been since atleast 2010! We won't be going back to find out. I can think of a couple of other things to moan about but won't. Some of this may seem petty but when you realise you're just being fed the "official" script you lose any sympathy for staff and you don't care about the consequences of your complaints.

Room Tip: Because we were told all the rooms were the same we can't comment. However there are rooms with...
6  Thank dancingcat66
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear dancingcat66
Thank you for your recent review and I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations.
We are set in some tranquil grounds and with so much in very near proximity by car I am sorry you did not venture out.
Upgrades/ refurbishments which are managed by our central office have already begun with orders placed for brand new flat screen televisions - due for installation from 7th July closely followed by new beds in every bedroom a month later - this represents a very large investment.
Further projects are also due however this will not include air conditioning.
The breakfast operation has several stations and all are not located together, so on busy days we avoid queues - we don't go out to hide anything as all is out for guests to take at will.
I am pleased you enjoyed the free energy coffee stations, newspapers and free wi fi.
We may be a business / conference centre with some great golf however the Claret jug is open all day from 8am until close and is a great relaxing place to go to have a drink or even take to the patio watching the endless golfers come in and we have been screening every football match and all the re runs through out the day.
I am sorry you have decided you won't be back.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We drove down from Scotland to visit family before the start of our Holiday, as we had lived in this area most of our lives and friends had recommended the hotel.
On arriving at the hotel I was very impressed with the outside we walked into the hotel and the host on reception was not very welcoming. We felt that we shouldn't be staying in the hotel.
She checked us in and directed us to our room.
The room was very tired - dirty cups on the tray and a TV from the 80's.
We had booked the Sunday night deal which included dinner , as we were early we went to the bar these areas are kept really nice, we were the only people in the bar so when my husband came back and my glass had lipstick I was not very impressed, the bar lady did change the glass no problem.
We went down to dinner which the waitress was really friendly the food was excellent, we only got offered the one drink and as there was a large group of golfers in the restaurant so felt they took all the time of the staff up.
Even though we had booked for breakfast we did not go as the restaurant was full of the golfing party again.
Checking out was a better experience the lady on the desk did actually try to build a rapport.

After staying quite frequently for business at the Herons reach hotel in Blackpool, we expected better it was like night and day.
We would not stay again, we did fill in the comment card which apparently is read every morning by the manager but even though we provided an email address still not heard anything back.
We stayed on the 1st June.

2  Thank hogan36
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear hogan36
Thank you for recent posting.
I am sorry the welcome was not as good as the great send off.
As previously mentioned in other reviews the televisions are to be upgraded in next 2 weeks so not long to wait.
I am pleased you found the food excellent and the staff friendly.
I read all comment cards which I receive and from these I look at what needs to be checked and changed with weekly and monthly trends also being reflected. Receiving thousands of these I can not get around to responding however take on board all comments.
I am pleased you use Herons Reach Village hotel however this is very different to us being a De Vere Venue which is focused on conference and training facilities.
Many thanks for comments. Nathan

Reviewed June 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed here using a Groupon deal. We were accompanied by another couple and all four of us thoroughly enjoyed our two night break. The hotel has an impressive location with very nice surroundings and a popular golf course on site. Complimentary coffee and tea available from machines in the reception area is a good idea. The rooms are reasonable, although the old television could do with updating, but the bed was comfortable and the shower over the bath was very good. What we were most impressed with was the attitude of the staff, those on reception, especially Rebecca who was friendly and helpful, as well as the dining room staff including Sharon, who was most welcoming and saw to it that we received our complimentary bottles of wine as compensation for having to change our dates due to a booking error. Also the chef was most helpful to one of our friends, who had special dietary requirements, spending some time to ensure that her meal did not contain elements she would not be able to eat. The 3 course evening meal was excellent and breakfasts were equally tasty. It is a hotel we all would definitely consider visiting again soon. Thank you to all the staff there.

2  Thank Island_Hopper51

Dear Island_Hopper51
Thank you for recent review.
Many thanks for helping us out and moving dates and really pleased you enjoyed your stay.
It was good to read you were impressed with was the attitude of the staff especially those on reception, naming Rebecca who was friendly and helpful, as well as the dining room staff including Sharon. In addition it was nice to hear Chef came out and engaged with you to ensure the correct dishes were cooked for dinner.
Thank you for the excellent comments on dinner and breakfast.
As with previous responses the new televisions arrive in less than 10 days so this will be the first of the projects we hope to undertake.
Hope to see you all back soon.
Nathan.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Crewe Hall
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club
The Park Royal
The Park Royal
#1 of 3 in Stretton

Been to Wychwood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!