“Nice enough - conference visit”

Wychwood Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed at Wychwood Park for a conference. The public areas (reception, bar, restaurant) are nicely presented, clean decor and politely efficient staff. Bedrooms ok, similar to a Premier Inn or similar with quite a firm bed.

My mine criticism would be that for a hotel looking to attract the business market, the WIFI though free is incredibly slow. An upgrade here would be very beneficial.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Rooster81
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased you found the front areas nicely presented, clean decor and politely efficient staff. I do note the concerns about bandwidth wifi speed, this seemed to slow up for some reason 2 weeks back and as a result ordered an upgrade to make it very much quicker. Believe it or not this takes 2 months to kick in from the service provider however once in place will address your concerns. I hope to welcome you back in the near future. Nathan.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went as part of a party of 16 on a golf trip in early October. Whilst i accept the comments about the rooms being a little tired they were clean and only for sleeping in. Having visited a number of different hotels as part of golf trips over the years I have to say the quality of food and service at Wychwood was as good as any we have previously experienced. It was also good to be served by people who were smiling. The golf course is in good condition but is a difficult course which provides a serious test of golfing ability. Finally we have been previously a number of years ago and would say the food and service at the present time is very good. Finally as part of the deal we were given a 20% discount of bar prices which made them competitive with pub prices and resulted in us spending more time in the golf club bar, a good move by the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Dear Geoff m
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased to see your rooms were as expected however pleased to see the food was as good as you have had on all previous trips away.
I am pleased the staff looked after you and were smiling throughout.
The golf course is as good as it has been in many years and is a true test of your game. I look forward to welcoming you and your fellow golfers back soon. Nathan.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Room was very disappointing. Very basic - Premier Inn are better. TV was a relic from the 80's with poor reception. Furniture cheap and again basic. Mattress bowed to middle and obviously very old. Shower again looked very old and didn't shower properly. Such a disappointment and not befitting such a wonderful location. Evening Food was very good as was the bar area. Requested Poached Eggs at breakfast which took an eternity to arrive despite there being only 5 covers in at the time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear SteveL
Thank you for your recent review.
As with previous responses, the bedrooms will be upgraded at some point in the near future which will address your points including the televisions. I was pleased to read your evening dinner and service was good and I will look into why poached eggs took so long at breakfast with so few customers at the time. Regards, Nathan.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Golf course is great, golf staff very good. Golf buggy ran out of juice on 12th hole, a phone call and 5 minutes later we had a replacement. Excellent. We arrived in the morning in the 19 th hole. Ordered coffee, forgot our order. 20 minutes passed and we had to remind them. Then they brought 2 sets of food to our table, nothing we had ordered. Eventually our sandwiches arrived, white should have been on brown and brown should have been on white.
Evening in the restaurant , we ordered wine to go with the dinner. After a 20 minute wait, we had to chase the wine. Eventually it arrived, was placed on the table, with the message " someone will come over to open it in a minute". Another 6 - 7 minute wait, a girl arrived and opened the bottle. No explanation. The problem was finding a bottle opener. Steaks arrived, ok, nothing brilliant, sauce was good. Ordered dessert, Manchester tart was good. Cheese and biscuits disappointing. Cheese came straight from the fridge, cold and hard. Not a room temperature ripe cheese to be seen.
Staff were very young and helpful, but inexperienced.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear David T
Thank for your recent posting.
I am sorry there were so many small service issues during your stay, I will follow these up with the respective managers in each area so they are not repeated. regards, Nathan.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have stayed at Wychwood Park now probably a dozen times and have never had a poor stay. I have always found the team there helpful and obliging. The food for a large complex is certainly more than acceptable, there is certainly some thought and effort in what they do. The rooms are are always clean and the facilities within the room and hotel as a whole more than meet the needs of the groups that I have stayed at the hotel with.

To top all this off the golf course is a very very good layout, every hole is different and a test of any golfers ability, hence holding Tour school qualifying and other important events at the venue.

I really do find it hard to fault the venue

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear pdmm42
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to read of your loyalty having stayed on so many occasions. I am pleased you enjoy your stays and will ensure the comments on staff being helpful and obliging, always being clean and the food having some imagination are passed on. The golf course this year is also the best it has been. I look forward to welcoming you on many more stays. Nathan.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed at this Hotel with my wife, as part of a Group on a Seminar/Golf package. Nothing to commend the Hotel over and above others of a similar type I've stayed at. All clean and tidy - reception, public areas, and room. Room compact and satisfactory, with 3 qualifications. Firstly, if you don't like firm beds, then this is not the place for you - although the beds are super-king size. The mattress was ultra-firm and unyielding. Not comfortable to sleep on. Secondly, the courtesy tray of tea and coffee was woefully under stocked. And thirdly, the quality of the toilet rolls left a lot to be desired. I've stayed in probably thousands of Hotels in my many years of travel, and there is no doubt in my mind that the Wychwood Park falls down spectacularly with the courtesy tray and toilet rolls. I just cannot understand why a Hotel Manager should want to award him/herself points for cost control (literally, just a few pennies) at the expense of customer satisfaction. To skimp on a few sachets of tea/coffee/milk/sugar, and use toilet rolls, paper thin, purchased from the cheapest market-place which could be found, is plain daft.
Hot water is pretty instant, and the shower is good. Lighting also OK, and plenty of heat available for a cold evening.
Restaurant food average. We dined as a group, and unfortunately, my wife's main course, although pre-ordered, wasn't delivered with everyone else's, which meant that she received hers after everyone else had finished. So she had to pass, being understandably unwilling to eat by herself. Not good. In fact, downright unprofessional and unacceptable. Breakfast selection satisfactory, without going overboard. Staff generally friendly and helpful. Bar charges set at the usual exhorbitant amounts for a Hotel of this type. £4.00 for a bottle of water is rip-off.
If you're at Wychwood Park where you stay in the Hotel, but attend a function on the first floor of the Golf Centre located about 300 yards away, be aware that if the weather is inclement, and are not prepared to use a car to get from one to the other, you could end up wet through, wind-blown, and bedraggled. The investment in a covered walkway between the two - expensive as it would be - would be a real plus for guests.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be the same, so cannot comment.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear David B
Thank you for your recent review.
May I apologies for some shortfalls during your stay. Our in room beverage tray follows the De Vere Venues offering however our extensive energy / coffee stations in the main Atrium offers further items you could have used, such as fruit, biscuits etc. In these areas there are also water fountains with chilled and room temperature water with cups to be used free of charge. I am sorry the night in question your wifes dinner choice was not ready as pre ordered, unfortunately someone in your party changed their mind or forgot what they ordered and took your wifes Red Snapper leaving us with a spare Risotto they had ordered and did not take. The replacement dish on the busy night did take time to re cook from fresh and reiterate the apologies given on the night. I will pass on your comments to central purchasing regarding toilet roll quality for any changes they wish to make.
We are always reviewing improvements to the Venue and connecting the two buildings is part of the discussions however we do have a constant supply of umbrellas at both front doors for guests to use. Nathan.

Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Booked into this hotel back in April for a friend's wedding in August. Hotel was picked by the bride and groom as nearby their venue and details for booking with special rates on their invites. We travelled from Ireland and decided to stay the night before the wedding also. On arrival we were greeted at reception by Emily. I instantly knew there was a problem. After some tapping a kkeyboard we were told there was a problem and there was no room for us. We were advised we could be booked into the Ramada hotel as an alternative (a large group of wedding guests were already in the bar waiting for us to arrive) which was 5miles away (and further than the wedding venue) and we could be shuttled forward and back . As we complained this was not acceptable we were advised it was £5 cheaper as if that made up for the inconvenience. After being told there was no other option we asked to speak to the manager. The duty manager (who also appeared to be the bar man) arrived to reception with hands dirty that he couldn't shake ours. We were told the hotel runs like an airline and over books in anticipation for no shows. He then said, and I quote 'It's a cruel world and this time you're it'!!!! He was unable to offer us any reduction on what we'd paid and offered a bottle of wine as out only compensation which I did not accept after his comments. We accepted we'd have to move hotel (at this point another couple from the wedding were also being moved) so we organised with the duty manager (now a different one) to have all our taxis and from the Ramada paid for as well as taxi to the wedding venue as we were 'doubling up'. We spent the first night in the Ramada (not a hotel comparative to the one we booked nnot a standard I would ever have booked and not worth £60 a night) and returned to check in once again to Wychwood and arrange our onward transfer to the wedding venue. Emily (who was present the previous night during arrangements) was here again and was refusing the deal that was made the previous night. This caused further arguments and upset the morning of a wedding. Eventually all was settled. Each taxing driver that collected us told us our story was not unique and this happens all the time. The hotel itself (rooms etc) o couldn't fault but the service was something I've never experienced! The staff in from receptio, bar to management all seem under experienced. Our original on duty manager struggled the last morning with how to deal with wedding guests (from another wedding) sleeping out front of the hotel with hotel bedding. It had become comical at this point time. The whole experience put a bad start to our weekend and upset the bride who had recommended the hotel. We were not offered a discounted price for our stay except the £5 we saved in the Ramada!!! I would not recommend staying here at this price for the budget experience it truly is.

• Stayed: August 2013
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear amyniluing
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am sorry to hear of your poor stay I will look into this with my team.
Regards,
Nathan.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Crewe Hall
ABode Chester
ABode Chester
#16 of 45 in Chester
Premier Inn Crewe Central Hotel

Been to Wychwood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!