“Golf and hotel stay - by Steve O'Keeffe”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Wychwood Park

Wychwood Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Golf and hotel stay - by Steve O'Keeffe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I don't often do reviews but felt that I had to following an excellent overnight stay at this hotel. A group of us (6 couples) had an overnight stay. We booked golf on the Saturday and Sunday and stayed overnight in the hotel. All aspects were first class. The organisation of the golf tee times, and the friendliness of the guys in the shop was super. The course has matured well since I last played it a few years ago, and is a true test of golf.

There is a separate 'claret jug' bar for golfers which is excellent to discuss what might have been immediately after the game, whilst watching sky sports (helped by Blackpool winning for once).

At night we enjoyed a sumptuous meal, in extremely ambient surroundings in the restaurant, followed by drinks in the bar. Our party of 12 were no doubt a bit loud, but we were found a table on our own, and hope we didn't disturb others. The staff could not have done more for us, with a brilliant blend of friendliness and expertise.

The rooms are well fitted out and the beds large, roomy and very comfortable.

Every credit to all the staff, whose attitude set this hotel apart, making the whole experience a truly memorable one. We only stayed for the one night, but returned feeling like we had enjoyed a real break,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Steve O

Thank you for your review and pleased you did take time to post this latest review. The golf season has arrived with many groups over the last few weeks or so I am pleased to hear the course played well and has matured up since last here. I will pass on to my team especially the golf shop staff your kind comments. I look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back

Nathan Smtih-Hilliard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I spent a week end in this hotel. Our first impression of the room was that it was on a similar par to a Premium Inn. Housekeeper was very friendly and tea milk etc replenish daily.
But the food was amazing I think this may have been the best food and service I have experienced. I could not fault it at all. At breakfast the Chef would do poached or omelette if you didnt like fried.
Visited Chester whilst we were there all in all very nice week end break would highly recommend

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent posting. I will pass on to my Housekeeper your nice comments. Your comments about the amazing food and obliging breakfast Chef is so nice to hear and the whole kitchen brigade will be bouyed by your comments. As you detail the Venue is ideally located to many places and can be used as a base over multiple nights. I look forward to your next visit.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I regularly stay at Wychwood park. The staff are really friendly and go out of their way to chat to me as I am a regular. The room decor is in need of an upgrade but they are always very clean. It can be pot luck as to which room you get in terms of noise levels but the staff will always respond to this if you are unhappy. The restaurant offers a good range of evening meals and you can eat in the bar if you wish. The nearest quality pub is about 2 miles drive if you want to get out and about. For breakfast there is an option of cooked or continental, both are good quality. For the price I pay for regular stays I know from experience that you cannot find better in the area. If you want to pay double and that is £100 plus for one night inc breakfast then of course there will be better options, but for budget cost of which this is, I certainly cannot complain!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear May P
I am pleased to hear of your loyalty and your repeat stays.
The team here are encouraged at every chance to engage with all guests and am pleased to hear this shines through. I am working with senior management to gain investment to some of the bedrooms including upgrading televisions to flat screens, the latter being under a long contract which may take time to change. Keep in mind the rooms you prefer and we can add this request at booking stage so on check in can pick this up.
The Venue does have the main restaurant as well as Bar Vista however there is the Claret Jug over loolking the golf course which also offers some great dishes.
We are very competitively priced with best rates on our website and are in a great location to be a base to many locations around us. I look forward to your next stay.
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed for the weekend to play golf and had a fantastic time. The hotel room was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. The staff could not do enough for you and the food was delicious. The golf shop and staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the clubhouse was very nice. I look forward to spending many more weekends there. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear YvonneG

Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review. All of my team will be motivated by your comments and I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back where we can repeat the fantastic time you had.

Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

I arranged an overnight stay for 12 people on Saturday and Sunday 9th and 10th March. From the minute we first arrived we were looked after by an excellent team of people. The staff in the golf shop were extremely friendly and catered for all our needs in terms of tee times and course management on both days. The course was in excellent condition considering the weather we have experienced this winter. The Claret Jug (golf bar) was warm and friendly and offered excellent food both before and after our rounds.The hotel was extremely clean and the rooms were bright and spotless. The main restaurant catered for our party of 12 making sure we had a group table for evening meal and breakfast. The food was excellent and could not be faulted on quality and cost. The whole experience is one that everyone enjoyed and we shall certainly be back to do it again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Graham.

Thank you for bringing your group to the Venue and am so pleased we were able to look after you all so well over your short stay. Your review will be circulated around my entire team today as it is a testament to all their hardwork. Many thanks and come back soon

Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I booked this hotel for a business night away, the grounds are new in appearance and well maintained, but a large lawn mower should take of that side.
The reception area was nice, modern and friendly with free coffees available, not Costa but for free, perfectly acceptable and appreciated.
I asked if they had a pool and was told no, nor was the Jacuzzi working, so all they had was a steam room to use, not what I expect from a De Vere hotel.
So after my long day, I was unable to relax in the hot tub or pool.
The free Wi-Fi was OK, but not super fast, but again for free, it was good enough.
My first room #5 was a horrible little room, in need of decorating, and some new furniture would not go a miss.
The person in the room above was walking around and I could hear everything, not a good sign.
After trying to get to sleep for roughly one hour, the electrical motor noise was unbearable, it turned out it was from the computer room next door and was some form of cooling or a/c that would be on 24/7.
At mid-night the very friendly and helpful reception men moved me to room 110, this was better, the bed was far larger and the decoration was much better, sadly, located on each floor is a fizzy drink dispenser, with a LOUD cooling fan, this was going to be on ALL night, the noise was twice as much as room #5 & could be heard down the end of each corridor.
This was now 12:15 AM & I got moved to room 142, the room was good, peace at last. The bed was a super king size and comfortable.
However, it must be said, this is not a plush hotel, room #142 was nice, but not luxury, unlike the decor at Carden Park & some other De Veres.
I brushed my hand towards the middle of the bed and felt something like crumbs, by this time I thought I would rather not know what it was and went to sleep.
I awoke at 6AM, freezing cold, the throw would not stretch, that was for show only plus the duvet was so thin and the heating off, I am not someone that feels the cold, but I did this night, so I got up and started work instead.
As I was about to leave, I pulled back the duvet to see what the crumbs were, sadly, my mind was taken away from this as I was now more concerned with the 4x hairs I found on the other side of the bed, 2x short curly ones and two longer ones, I can say without question, they were not mine, I can get out of bed and no one would know I had been in it plus is was 6' away from where I was sleeping.

In all three rooms tried that night, the TVs were old CRT TV's all the same, but I have taken 4x better TVs to the dump in recent years, again, very poor for a "quality hotel". Freeview was on offer, but very limited channels and poor reception, I ended up watching TV via I-player on my laptop as the quality & choice was so poor on their TVs.

I stayed in this hotel a few years ago, and it was dead in atmosphere then as it now, only a handful of residents were to be seen, I can only think this hotel is not used that much as it is too far away from anything.
I got the room for £40, I thought at a good price, but it only compares to a Travel Inn or similar, so to pay more would have been a rip off, it was not a lot better than the cheaper options, the cheaper options are normally next to a eating place or pub so offer more life.
If my wife & I had gone there for a romantic weekend, like we do, we would have been VERY unhappy, as someone else said, it is for business men, and lonely ones at that.
I booked this place as I wanted a nice relaxing night away after a long day, little did I know it would turn out to be such a disaster, the other Crewe options will get my business next time I am in Crewe.
I came here wanting to write a nice review as my last one at the Lea Marston, Birmingham was a poor one was well, but the UK seems to loosing its touch on providing a half reasonable hotel service there days.
If you want a nice De Vere hotel and the distance is not a problem, go to Carden Park near Chester, it is 100% better, it is a proper De Vere place, it is worlds apart from this place.
My wife & I stayed at Carden park in Sept last year and loved it.
This hotel is NOT fit to be in the De Vere offerings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from noisy electrical motors, possibly at the end of a corridor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KevGSmith
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for posting your response.
Please accept my sincere apologies for your stay not being relaxing as you would have liked. The are differing brands within De Vere as you highlight and Carden Park is in the Hotels division with Wychwood Park in Venues and there are clear differences between the two. What should not be different however is clean serviced bedrooms which afford a good nights sleep and I am sorry this was not delivered during your stay. Please be assured I will look into your comments in full and will be discussing this with my team to take immediate action.
In the meantime if there is anything further I can do please do hesitate to contact me.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Me and my family booked a day at the spa thinking we could have a relaxing day and treatments. On arrival we had to get changed into our swimming costumes in a disabled toilet, there are no changing rooms! We then had to leave our belongings on the floor of an understaira cupboard as there are no lockers! We asked a member of staff if we could have some slippers and were told that we couldnt, even though it said in the confirmation e-mail that slippers would be provided, we pointed this out so a staff member asked hotel staff who said they would not give us any slippers. We were given dressing gowns to wear, one of which had used tissues in the pocket. We went to use the 'spa' before having our treatments, if that's what u can call it, it's a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room, nothing else. This is advertised as a spa but it is not. I have to point out that it is the hotel that won't provide changing rooms or lockers (or slippers) The girls who work in the spa are great with customers, the treatments are brilliant and are at a good price. The manager that day was great, she organised a pre booked table at the golf club for us all to have a nice lunch together and even gave us a discount off our treatments. I would reccomend people to go here for treatments, but don't waste your money thinking that you will be going on a spa day.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank 852368
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for posting a review for Escape Spas on the Wychwood Park hotels web site. This Spa is not owned nor operated by the hotel and is managed seperate to the hotel as previously mentioned in other reviews. I will be certain to pass on to their directors the posting you have made and ask them to respond. The hotel will always do everything to ensure their customers leave happy and will always speak to guests directly as The Spa manager should have made clear to you. I will raise these concerns with the Escape Directors when we next meet as we do frequently in order to review and improve the combined service we offer to Spa guests.

Nathan Smith-Hilliard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Crewe Hall
De Vere Cranage Estate
BEST WESTERN PLUS Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel
Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Shrigley Hall Hotel, Golf & Country Club

Been to Wychwood Park? Share your experiences!