“Nice hotel, a few minor niggles”

Wychwood Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
St Helens
“Nice hotel, a few minor niggles”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed here for a night in-between Christmas and New Year having booked one of De Vere's £19 room offers and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a very picturesque location and while it was indoor weather when we visited, I imagine you could have a nice walk around the grounds (which also has a gold course) if you wanted to.

Check-in was efficient and we had a ground floor room, which was comfortable enough, but a few minor niggles let it down such as there being no remote control for the TV (not a major problem as you could change channels in the old-fashioned way) and a small leak that appeared to come from under the bath when using the shower, making the bathroom floor wet. The room in general could possibly do with sprucing up, but it was in decent condition.

Went down for a spa treatment (back and neck massage) during the afternoon, a Xmas present from the missus, and it was very relaxing. Having never been in a spa before I've no idea how it compares to others, but the room was nicely decorated and I left feeling very chilled out. The lack of a gym and a swimming pool is perhaps the biggest downside of this hotel as I'd have loved to go for a swim too.

We ate in the hotel bar at night, rather than the restaurant which was a little pricey, and while the food was excellent (can recommend the sausage and mash) we had to wait over an hour for it. Unfortunately they'd somehow mislaid our order, but by way of apology we were offered a complimentary round of drinks by the guy who served us. Thought that was fair enough, a lot of places wouldn't offer you anything. Drinks aren't cheap, but they're about the going rate for a hotel, and the bar (which got quite busy) definitely needs a new pool table. There's one ball missing and the ones that are there jam in some of the pockets.

Didn't stay for breakfast, purely because the of the price. £10.50 (£9 if booked in advanced) is too dear in my opinion - would've cost us more than the room which is ridiculous when you look at it like that.

All in all, it's a very pleasant hotel in peaceful surroundings that serves good food. It's the type of place we'd return to for a similar one-night break when on offer, but probably not for anything longer. I've rated it very good as it was better than average, but would've selected 'good' if such an option existed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
WychwoodPark, Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your post and for your very useful and informative feedback regarding our hotel. We are delighted that on the whole you enjoyed your stay and once again offer our apologies for the small issues you encountered which hopefully we rectified whilst you were with us.
We will certainly take on board your constructive comments and action those appropriately. We would very much like to welcome you back to Wychwood Park in the future, look out for the special offers on our website.
If I can be of any further assistance do contact me direclty.
Regards,
Simon Lockhart (Operations manager)
slockhart@devervenues.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We booked one of DeVere's winter £19 per room offers. We had two nights here and it was superb considering what we paid. The room was very good, and despite what I had seen on other reviews here I had no complaints - quite the opposite in fact!
On the first night we ate out at a pub recommended by the hotel, and it was lovely. The second night we ate in the bar as the menu was very good - as was the food.
The rest of our time was spent between wandering around Nantwich (about 6 miles away) and in the spa/sauna etc.
all in all, a great way to unwind after Christmas!

1 Thank stockportsaint1985
WychwoodPark, Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Traveller
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your great comments regarding our venue and our staff.
Great customer service and fabulous food are at the heart of what we do best and I am delighted that these ensured your stay with us was memorable for the right reasons.
We hope to welcome you back again soon and if there is anything else I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanks again for a great review
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

I have just returned from a couple of days at Wychwood Park. January deals are good and compare with Travel Lodge prices however our bedroom was actually poorer quality than many Travel Lodges. The bedroom was an adequate size with a king size bed however the bed was soft and uncomfortable. Pillows were flat and lifeless. Old style Tv had poor picture with bouts of interference. It also produced a loud cracking noise several times throughout the early hours of the morning. The bathroom again was adequate in size but worn. Floor tiles were cracked and grouting stained as well as mould and blackening to shower seals. You certainly did not feel comfortable standing on the floor in bare feet.

On the plus side the room was warm and quiet. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast which was good with plenty of choice apart from decaf tea. Evening meal was disappointing. Salmon risotto was swimming in olive oil so I returned it mostly uneaten. Staff apologised but made no recompense.

I thought overall it was good value however would have been very disappointed if I had paid full price.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay. I’m disappointed to read that certain aspects of your stay fell short of your expectations.
The room that you stayed in has not had any refurbishment works done, however I will have my maintenance team look at the room following your comments. We are hopeful of a full bedroom refurbishment very soon and this will include new TVs for all our rooms.
I will certainly share your feedback on the food offering with our Head Chef and ensure this is taken on board for the future.
We would love to welcome you back to Wychwood Park in the future to show you what great service and food we really can offer. If I can be of any further help please do contact me directly on slockhart@deverevenues.co.uk
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed one night on a £29 per night offer. Very glad we hadn't paid any more.

Whilst the main areas are clean, tidy and modern, the rooms are dated and unclean. My main issue was with the mold, dust in the bathroom - any decent housekeeper could have improved this with a decent clean, and a new shower screen and re-grout would improve the room 100%.

Very glad to not have paid any more - next time will head for the local Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for one that's been renovated (if such a thing exists).
1 Thank Ailsa I
Dear Traveller
Thank you for taking the time to comment regarding your stay. I’m disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay.
The room that you stayed in has not had any refurbishment works done, however I will have my maintenance and housekeeping teams look at the room immediately following your comments. We remain hopeful of a full bedroom refurbishment very soon.
I do hope you will consider visiting us again in order to restore your faith in our venue and if there is anything else I can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me.
slockhart@devervenues.co.uk
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have family in the area and needed somewhere to sleep. This hotel came up at £29 per night on a special offer. We were impressed as the hotel belongs to the same group as our local Slaley Hall, for which we have heard a lot of praise. Impressive on arrival and helpful staff, but that is as far as I would go. The room was next to the laundry, so we were awakened early by staff with trolleys (despite the hotel being almost empty!) The facilities were just adequate,tattered wallpaper, no light at one side of the bed, not even a switch for the main light. The TV was ancient and had poor reception with lots of buzzing. Only two sachets of coffee and two teabags were on offer, although I was informed reception would provide more....most hotels provide a small selection of teabags, sometimes even hot chocolate. In the bathroom were one shower gel and one bar of soap (which did smell lovely). I have never before stayed in a double room which only catered for one! All in all I was fairly disappointed, as I had expected a high quality stay and it was just very ordinary, no better than a Premier Inn and distinctly worse than many small private hotels. The bed was comfortable enough and the area was quiet...until housekeeping started!

1 Thank briannewcastle956
Dear Traveller,
Thanks for your post and for the comments regarding our lovely venue and great staff. I am very sorry that the bedroom you were allocated fell below the standards you would expect from a hotel with our reputation. We are hopeful of a full bedroom refurbishment very soon but in the meantime task our housekeeping team with keeping them as clean as possible and free from defects. I will be certain to pass on your feedback and have the room in which you stayed looked at immediately.
I do hope you would consider visiting Wychwood Park again in order to fully enjoy our facilities and great service that we usually do offer.
If I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards,
Simon Lockhart (Operations Manager)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

arrived boxing day for 2 nights and were looking forward to a relaxing break. The setting and grounds around the hotel are lovely , however the rooms were very tired looking and in desperate need of a refurb.. A Premier Inn or Travel Lodge would offer better quality rooms.
We had a large bed but the mattress was very worn giving an uncomfortable nights sleep. The rooms are heated by an electric heater attached to a wall inches away from the bed. However ours didn't work properly and we had to tease it into life each time. the dials wouldn't stay on and it seemed as if there was an electrical short in the heater. the bathroom had the dreaded black mould around the sealant and a couple of the bulbs were out. I stayed in a De vere property a few years ago and was impressed but this one is not one of their best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carol W
Dear Traveller,
Thank you for your review of our hotel and facilities. We are very sorry that you were disappointed with the standard of your bedroom. The room you were allocated is one awaiting refurbishment which we are hopefully of conducting very soon. In the meantime we strive to keep the rooms as clean and free from defects as possible therefore I will have my teams look at this room straight away. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, we do hope to welcome you back to Wychwood Park again in the future.
If I can be of any further assistance please contact me direclty.
Regards,
Simon Lockhart (Operations Manager)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Excellent welcome , good food, very good customer service. Location was pretty good as just off M6. Attractive new build hotel, with a golf course ,that was in very good condition post the recent awful weather. Worthy of a stay.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Traveller
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and for your kind comments regarding our venue, our staff and our fabulous golf course.
Great customer service, great food and a sparkling clean hotel are the key elements that we strive to deliver and I am delighted that these ensured your stay with us was memorable for the right reasons.
Kind Regards,
slockhart@deverevenues.co.uk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Crewe Hall
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton

Been to Wychwood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!