“Best so far in Hokkaido”
Review of Rusutsu Resort Ski

Rusutsu Resort Ski
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I have made three ski trips to Hokkaido so far and have skied at Kamui, Furano,Tomamu, Nukabira, Asahi Dake, Teine, Kokusai and Tokachi Mountains (no lifts) and the one I would recommend highest for most people is Rusutsu although I will definitely go back to Asahi Dake and Tokachi. For me the volume of off-piste power for the time at Rusutsu makes it my number one choice.

1  Thank GiantBird

Reviewed January 18, 2013

fantastic snow and good visibility to appreciate the views
short lift queues and long runs, the longest a 3.5 km intermediate run
enjoyed skiiing through the trees for a very japanese experience

1  Thank kkkt
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Rusutsu ski resort, Hokkaido has gave me lots of fun and impression. Soon after long tired trip, the resort served you free wifi with password before checking in. Though lots of snow outside, you could stay warm in Onsen. When dinner was served, everyone was surprised, lots of (again) seafood esp.king crab was served continuously until you gave up and a wide variety of Japanese food was waiting for you. During walking to your room, you could enjoy nice view of light ornaments outside the corridor just like walking in a fairy tale. Nice sleep after great dinner and good view, the room is bigger than usual modern Japanese hotels. The next day was greater, many kinds of activities made my day. I enjoyed the snow sledge very much, once in a lifetime!

Reviewed January 10, 2013

The lift and gondola line ups are really short at Rusutsu. There are quite a few flat spots in Rusutsu so if you are snowboarder, be prepared to hike a little.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our trip to Hokkaido won't be complete without hitting the snowboards or at least skiing. Given that I've tried skiing several times already, I opted to try snowboarding this time. So we booked lessons at Rusutsu Resort.

On arrival, we passed by the resort hotel, it was really nice and it seems the resort has quite a number of activities aside from snow activities. So it makes it great for kids too. Like it had a merry go around and a kids area. Great for family holidays. Our local guide in fact was bringing her family and young kids to spend the New Years here.

Anyway, we headed to the rental place to get our outfits and equipment set up. We were a big group so it took a while to get everything cause we had to be very specific with sizes, etc. There was only one staff at the receiving/cashier area, although there were quite a number of staff at each section of the rental place. I understand each had their roles, but it would have been more efficient if they could be flexible in terms of their functions, so that there is no bottleneck at the receiving point. Big lockers were available to keep our stuff and the area was kept really clean. Anyway, we finally got everything and our instructors also showed up waiting for us.

We headed to the snow area just below the "bunny hill". The instructors were very good and explained everything well. They spoke good English too and were very patient. There were 5 of us to an instructor. After some orientation and practice on the flat area, we were immediately asked to take the chair lift up. We were surprised and worried if we could do it, but eventually, we made it. I managed to snowboard down quite far after several tries, thanks to yoga for improving my balance, but each time I fell, I could not get up. Definitely harder to get up than with skis. I guess it's time to lose some weight, hahaha.

The snow was really very nice and powdery here, perfect for snowboarding. I can tell even if I'm not an expert. Now I get what the fuss is all about. I also visited Niseko on the same trip. I like the atmosphere at Rusutsu more though, it's less crowded and less commercialized. Very little wait at the lifts. We were actually surprised that it was fully booked, when we could not really understand it as the crowd was not as big as we expected. I guess for beginners like us, it's a great place, not intimidating at all. And although we didn't have small kids with us, we saw quite a number of kids skiing too in their little area.

2  Thank kormensandiego