“Back Again”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orphir
Foinhaven Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Orphir B&B and Inns
nr Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Back Again”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Im back a few weeks now from Foinhaven and haven't rushed to write a review because I wrote a very extensive one last time. Came here just to really refer newer readers back to it, to find I could no longer access it. So here goes with a new review.
I would NEVER consider stayiong anywhere else on Orkney. I stayed in the upstairs self catering flats which were spotless, fully equiped and etremely comfortable and very reasonably priced.
It is situated approximately half way between Stromness and Orphir and handy for everywhere. The views are fabulous and I am breaking my heart because we have to go somewhere else next year on holiday.
Norman and Margaret our hosts were helpful and friendly, full of great advise about where to go. Orcadian history and language. Norman had me picking mushrroms for his breakfast all over Orkney. And now I am home I am still doing it. (Thanks Norman, that was a wee special gift)

Room Tip: Let Norman show you what mushrooms to pick and are safe to eat.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ra B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Milford, Ontario
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed for seven nights in one of the self-catering flats upstairs; views of the mist rolling in from the mountain over the loch, the sheep in the fields,t he water. The flat included free wifi and a generous selection of pots, pans, cutlery and crockery in the kitchen. Everything was clean and in good order. The owners were friendly, helpful and unobtrusive.

We'd stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barefootliam
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Went up to Orkney for a long weekend and spent 3 nights at this Bed and Breakfast. Lost count the amount of times stayed there as absolutely fantastic location. Waulkmill Bay nearby with a lovely beach. Rooms are spotless with everything you need ( better equipped than many hotels) with lots of cupboard space. Rooms are bright and airy. Tremendous range at breakfast time and eggs are a must as chickens are 400 metres away! Owners are local so a great depth of local knowledge to augment the information leaflets. Nothing is too much trouble so don't be shy in asking as they genuinely want you to enjoy your stay/holiday. There are also 3 self contained flats upstairs which again are lovely presented and very modern. There is amble parking areas at the front and side of the house. There are lambs in a nearby field which children have great fun feeding.I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this accommodation which is approximately 6 miles from Kirkwall so ideally located to visit various sites. Moreover it is very tranquil and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jim M
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have to start this story in how we found this place; we were playing it by ear in booking accommodations while in Scotland, choosing to book each day depending on where we were. This was not a problem for the entire time, EXCEPT when we were on Orkney Island. We landed in Kirkwall just as a big event was happening (we had no idea since the trip to Orkney was somewhat last minute) and we called about five different B&B's, hotels, and hostels, trying to find lodging. We ended up at Foinhaven and thank goodness we did.

Gorgeous B&B, immaculate, comfortable, the hosts were kind and knowledgeable. and the breakfast was incredible. I mean, I've had blood pudding, and this WAS blood pudding. Savory, delicious and absolutely an awesome fortifying meal.

We're planning on coming back to Orkney Island next time, for a longer stay, and we're definitely going to try to make Foinhaven our base!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank cherylph
nr Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I booked for one week in July in the two bedroom apartment at Foinhaven. Im not going to waste you time by telling you how fabulous it was, but on the premiss that actions speak louder than words, I will tell you that when leaving I left a deposit on the flat so we can go back for TWO weeks next year. Thank you so much Margaret and Raymond.

The things I wondered about:- You will not need towels, hand, bath or tea. Ample supply of washing clothes, washing up liquid, shower gel and a brand new scourer put out. There was a welcome pack of milk, butter, tea, coffee, sugar and bread. There was pots pans, electric wok, baking tins, scales... even a thermos flask. Electrically speaking there was a cooker, kettle microwave, fridge freezer, hairdryer, heater and a coffee cafetiere. The ironing board, iron and vacuum cleaner were not in the flat but easily accessible

Orcadians tend to use O2 for their mobile phone provider and they seem very happy with the coverage. I however use three and coverage was appalling, no signal at all in Kirkwall or Stromness however I had two bars on my iPhone in the apartment. The free wifi in the apartment wasn’t sluggish.

Neither my husband or myself are wheel chair users but I doubt these apartments would be suitable for them as access to the apartments is up a staircase, and there is no internal lift. Although once up there the doors are wide enough and everything is on the flat.

Situated almost equidistant between Stromness and Kirkwall this apartment is an ideal base to explore West Mainland and its attractions. Of the photographs I propose to submit with this review all were taken within 100 yards of Foinhaven, though it only appears in the one with the sheep. And three were taken from the window.

Room Tip: Listen to Margaret and Raymond if they advise you. They are wonderful people who only want you to ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ra B
USA
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I've been to Scotland four times and stayed at many bed and breakfasts there over the years, but hands down, this was the best place of all. Margaret and Raymond are lovely, helpful people who make your stay very special. They let us help out feeding the lambs, offered great advice about where to eat and what to do, cooked a very filling and generous breakfast, and generally made us feel at home. The location is great - you're just a short car ride away from everything. We enjoyed some lovely evening walks at the nearby Waulkmill Bay - sometimes we had this beautiful beach all to ourselves. The room was spotless and we had a great view from our window. The price was very reasonable. Hope to make it back there some day!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tarheels123
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Had a lovely stay at this brilliant b&b. Started our day buy looking out into fantastic views, followed by what I can only describe as the best breakfast. Fresh is not the word. Rooms are excellent, en suits. Comfy and homely. Min from one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. The owners are friendly and helpful. Great tips and stories. All and all a 5 start stay

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Peachy01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orphir
Stromness Hotel
Buxa Farm Chalets & Croft House
The INN Guest House
The INN Guest House
#1 of 2 in St. Mary's

Been to Foinhaven Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!