“Nice Hotel but could do more”
Review of Aparthotel Goldey

Aparthotel Goldey
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed there before and the staff were great, and knew that I had to stay in this hotel because of the great memories I had when I last stayed. Great thing is that this did not disappoint. Came in with a nice welcome gift in the room and had a great view of the river, the area around the hotel is really nice. You can borrow the bikes, which I did to go into the Square to buy some things. Love to stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Firstly, i would like to say that i have NEVER EVER written a bad review about any hotel or restaurant on trip advisor. You can actually check my past history at tripadvisor. This hotel has compelled me to write a negative review. We stayed here in June and were totally disappointed.

Positive of the hotel:
- Good view
- Friendly and helpful girl ( i think Natalie was her name) at the reception

Negatives of the hotel:
- not value for money - i say this because the hotel charges you 250 CHF / night which is extremely high compared to the service they provide. Also, there are other hotels in the city which charge the same/less for a city in the hotel with a similar view. The only view you miss from the city centre is of the canal. I would not entirely blame the hotel for this as all the hotels/restaurants in Interlaken are very expensive due to it being commercial tourist place.
- it is not in the city centre.
- very average breakfast ( compared to the other 6 hotels we stayed at in the other cities of our trip who served us 100's of types of fruits,breads and cheese. People serving breakfast were not friendly.
- On their website they say that there is FREE wifi connectivity throughout the hotel.The wifi connectivity was NIL. You get NO wifi in your room and you have to come down to the LOBBY to use the wifi which also shuts at 10 or 11 pm, which means you have to sit on the staircase if you have to use the internet. We had an argument with the hotel manager over this. All she had to say was that YOU WON'T FACE THIS TROUBLE WHEN YOU COME NEXT. Instead of this she kept on defending herself and the services. We even told her that you should make people pay for wifi because we have done that at a lot of places in the past. Her argument was that " we provide wifi for pleasure not for business" . But ma'am let me tell you that if we didn't do business we would not be able to afford a place which charges 250CHF per night for a room. And also, there no NO wifi whether it was for business or pleasure. Being a business owner you definately cannot cut off from your business, Hoe you understand that ma'am.
- There was no one on the reception/Lobby after 9 PM ( this means that it is not a hotel !!!!) We stayed at Motel One ( A complete motel- it's a chain in Europe, which charged us only 70 euros per night ) - it was not the best but it had someone 24 hours at the reception atleast and we didnt feel that we overpaid at that place. If you call yourself a hotel, then you should provide with HOTEL LIKE services. And let me again mention that CHF 250 is a huge amount to be paid per night and we stayed here for 3 nights.
- there is no automatic cooling or heating system. The argument to this from the manager was the best." THEY WANT PEOPLE TO OPEN WINDOWS AND INHALE THE FRESH AIR" . and what about all the insects in the room after that ??????? This again was pathetic and not expected out of a "HOTEL" ! and friends let me tell you it gets really hot at times in Interlaken. I cant imagine what will happen to people who visit Goldey in July/August !!!
- Bathrooms are really cramped/small.

One other reason i was so highly disappointed was because i had really high expectations from this place as i had read fantastic reviews about it and i really felt cheated, sad and hurt when i left. To that extend that i would never want to visit switzerland again.
I would highly recommend people who travel to switzerland and want to go to jungfrau to stay in a place like gridelwald or lauterbrunnen instead of interlaken. And there are many good places to stay in the city in Interlaken too but definately not goldey !!! Again, you are free to check all my past reviews of any hotel or retaurant on trip advisor !

Room Tip: sounth side facing room .
10  Thank anarmodi
Reviewed June 29, 2014

We first visited the Goldey back in 1997 and, when we decided to return to beautiful Interlaken, it was an easy decision to come back to this fine hotel. The Goldey is actually in Unterseen, but a quick walk over a pedestrian bridge crossing the Aare River, and you're in Interlaken. From there, it's just a few more minutes into the classic old resort town center, filled with upscale shops and lots of eating places. From the Goldey, it's also a 15 minute walk in opposite directions to Interlaken's two train stations. The view from the hotel is truly charming. Our room overlooked the Aare and the town. Two hills (We'd call them mountains here in Connecticut) slope away to the left and right, perfectly framing the great Alpine peaks in the distance. It's gorgeous, except for the presence of the hideous Hotel Metropole, a drab concrete tower which thrusts itself into the foreground of this otherwise delightful tableau. I'm amazed that city planners allowed such an anachronistic structure to be built in a town that otherwise has such consistent architectural appeal. But, I digress. Back to the Goldey. Our room was simple and sleek. The bathroom small but adequate. When we arrived, the bed was covered by a thick duvet. This is standard for most European hotels and probably makes great sense in the winter. In summer, not so much. I asked at the desk if we could get a top sheet and light blanket instead and the request was cheerfully and promptly satisfied. The staff at the Goldey is terrific. Their English is excellent and they offer excellent advice and service on things like train schedules and nearby attractions. Breakfasts are excellent, highlighted by delicious homemade breads and jams. We also had dinner at the hotel one night, to a set menu, and it was terrific. In all, the Goldey is a wonderful hotel. It's not cheap but nothing in Switzerland is (June, 2014 price: 280 Swiss francs B&B, or about $314 per night for a south facing twin room) and everything about the place works at a high standard. It comes with my highest recommendation.

3  Thank EuroWhenever
Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here for a week and I could not fault the hotel. We had a room with a river and mountain view on the fourth floor, the views were lovely, the bed comfy, the room was clean. The welcome basket of fruit was a nice touch. The staff could not be more helpful and friendly and we had the half board option which had a set menu each night. I am not a big meat eater and they were always happy to replace the meal to something just as tasty and well presented.

The hotel is a 20 minute walk along the river to Ost station or 10 minutes to West station and about 5 minutes across the river to the town. A perfect hotel for a perfect holiday. We would use this hotel again

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the river view. The train passes nearby, but you soon forget its there
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

The location is perfect. View is very good. In centre of both east and west train station.
The staff is very friendly and helpful and makes you feel at home.
Breakfast is very good with lake and mountain view in front.
Would recommend this hotel

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Hotel Goldey at the first look gives you the feel of an offbeat property which might have an interesting experience on offer. I must say it is a bit more than that. Located along the enchanting river in Unterseen, Goldey presents the picturesque view of the Alps through Interlaken. I was so glad that we were upgraded to a room with a sit-out facing the Alps and the river. The sight of para-gliders landing in huge numbers was something of its own kind.

We stayed here for a couple of nights and the service was very homely. The front desk lady was always ready to help and guide us for short an long visits. The rooms were kept spick and span. The breakfast was quite wonderful and so were the evening Tea and cakes. As we always had other meals outside so I can't comment on the food apart from that.

The place is close to 15-20 mins of walk from the Interlaken station and we took that road minimum 6-8 times for several outings, but trust me we were not complaining as the walk by the river was something we really enjoyed. However if the climate doesn't support then it might be a bit taxing and so another medium must be taken. Also if you are going for the first time then either carry a map or have a look at Google so that you can walk down easily.

Room Tip: Take a room facing the river for an amazing view
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suvra Kanta R
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed with my husband, 2 other couples and a single person in this hotel from May 24 until May 30th, 2014. We enjoyed our stay. The hotel is clean and well situated. There is a possibility to have dinner if you reserve the meal until 18h00. The parking is plenty and free of charge. I was most happy with the staff as they were very helpful with special requests and with finding out information about excursions, etc. They provide free afternoon tea, coffee and cakes. We appreciated this gesture. I can, therefore, warmly recommend this hotel and would not hesitate in coming back. Maya

Room Tip: I recommend the south (river Aare) facing room for an extra charge
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 518Maya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Unterseen
Hotel Beausite
Hotel Royal St. Georges Interlaken - MGallery Collection
Hotel Bellevue
Hotel Bellevue
#13 of 39 in Interlaken

Been to Aparthotel Goldey? Share your experiences!