“A quintessential, relaxing French rural get away”
Review of Au Petit Verger

Au Petit Verger
Ranked #1 of 8 Puivert B&B and Inns
Worcester, United Kingdom
“A quintessential, relaxing French rural get away”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Au Petit Verger in Puivert which is a beautiful lakeside village in the Pyrenees. Martyn and family could not have been better hosts, providing wonderfully fresh continental breakfasts and delicious French evening meals upon request. The rooms were sizable, clean and comfortable with en-suite. Puivert is a great location to explore the Pyrenees by car, bike or on foot and a visit to the Mediterranean is well worth a day trip.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gareth P
Martyn P, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Thank you for your visit and good luck with your forthcoming marriage. Hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

An awesome location on the edge of the village of Puivert with the castle behind you. Really well looked after by all the family. Superb place to relax, walk, cycle, sightsee or just get a tan. Truly French breakfast and evening meals available which are great.
We will certainly return.
Helen and Bede

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Summer262012
Book soon!
Portland, OR
Reviewed July 15, 2012

In comparison with other B&B experiences (and the handful of hotels I stayed in while hiking part of the Sentier du Cathar) this was a unique and ultimately satisfying experience. The room I had was spacious (it appears designed for four people) with a clean and pleasant bathroom and a window looking out toward the hills down the valley. The bed was quite comfortable. The proprietors, Martyn and Ann Pickering, are a pleasant young couple, English ex-pats like over half the hosts I stayed with, with three delightful (and very energetic) young children. In contrast to several of the other places I stayed on the trip, I was seated for dinner and breakfast alone at a table in a separate room; the children proudly took turns delivering each course of the meal - which I found quite charming. I was warmly welcomed into the living area to watch a football (soccer) match with Martyn, which was quite enjoyable. I am gluten-intolerant, and Martyn thoughtfully prepared a very tasty dinner without any wheat - and a totally satisfying omelette for breakfast. As often happens (I think I'm lucky in my choice of accommodations) I left feeling that these are people I would enjoy getting to know better. For the price, this B&B delivers excellent quality - and its location, right at the entrance of town, is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank David R
Martyn P, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
David thank you and sorry I have not replied before. The bit I like best is the 'young couple'. I guess it must be the lifestyle here that keeps me looking that way even if I can't really claim to be any longer!!
Skanderborg, Denmark
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Excellent location at the end of the Sentier Cathare stage from Quillan. Veryy friendly host, Martyn, who cooks excellent food.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank janhj
Martyn P, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
'Excellent location', 'excellent food', 'very friendly host' but only an average rating?
Scotland
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed here for one night during a walk from Comus to Quillan. I've stayed in some super-luxury B&Bs in the UK in recent years and this wasn't of the same type at all! It's an old-fashioned, muck-in-with-rest-of-us, family-run and family-style B&B. It met with my complete approval, especially the unexpected (but, to be honest, half-hoped-for) pleasure of a real English cup of tea when I arrived at the end of my 20-mile hike from Comus.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TheProfessor34
Vergerblue, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Hello The Professor34.

I think you visited whilst I was away so I'm pleased it seems the rest of the family looked after you really well. Many thanks for your kind comments and yes that it exactly what we set out to be. 'Home from Home'.
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed with Martin and his family for a week, a week of bike riding.

The hospitality was excellent, the rooms very clean and well appointed, we ate Breakfast and evening meals with Martin and the food was of resturaunt quality (and big in quantity), and he catered very well for my veggie Girlfriend.

Martin is a very friendly laid back Guy we had a very relaxing week, we were offered excellent advice about bike riding routes and were even supplied with some local riders to ride with.

Will deffo be visiting again

Room Tip: They are all fab, we chose the room with the view of Puivert!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pompey_Paul
Vergerblue, Owner at Au Petit Verger, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you Paul and Wendy, we enjoyed having you here as well. Paul you are easily the strongest, fittest cyclist we have ever entertained. Good luck with your race season. You are clearly well prepared!!
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2011

We have spent many short breaks at Au Petit Verger. We have always been made very welcome by the family and looked after in terms of hotel facilities, meals, guidance on walks and places to visit.

The hosts are bilingual in French and English and are happy to help with language and local burocracy should they be required.

The house is a beautiful old grand village house with original features and modern facilities. It is set in large gardens with an adjoining wood. The rooms are tastefully decorated in pastel colours in a French country style.

The village of Puivert is small and quiet but with a well stocked local shop and boulangerie. The lake is very pleasant for swimming and picnicking around. It is very safe for children.

There are many walks in the coutryside and nearby mountains. The scenery has to be seen to be appreciated. It is varied and very pretty.

We have stayed at all times of the year in hot sunshine and snow blizzards, during which the countryside takes on a magical quality. There are always things to do in any weather.

We will continue to visit in the future.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puivert
Hotel de France
Occitania
#7 of 8 in Puivert
Chambres d'Hotes du Lac Perdu
Le Relais des Marionnettes

Been to Au Petit Verger? Share your experiences!