“Our perfect honeymoon nest”

Bras d'Or Lakes Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 St. Peter's B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Our perfect honeymoon nest”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

First of all, do not take attention to other comments, my wife and I had a really good time. Indeed, my wife and I chose to spent our honeymoon in Cape Breton, and what a good idea we had! We spent our first three nights at Bras d'Or Lakes inn. This inn was simply gorgeous, very rustic. You can feel a warm feeling as soon as you enter in the place. The rooms are smelling cedar which is really nice. The staff was really competent and nice, especially the chef who's, I presume, the owner. He allowed us a free ride on the lake with the rudder boat! The restaurant was in our top 10 so far. Indeed, the restaurant is recommended at "where to eat in Canada". We had for supper, lobster, it was very fresh and delicious, with salmon which was incredible as well. The staff was friendly and smily, we had no problem at all with them. I do not understand why people should whine about them, St-Peter's is a very quiet and small town, I guess as travelers we should just relax and take the locals beat, we had some nice dinners, taking our time to eat and talking about how gorgeous is Cape Breton. In short, we strongly recommend Bras D'Or Lakes inn, this is a perfect place to stay for a little romantic weekend trip. Thank you for reading this comment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rhoda G, General Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. Congratulations again on your marriage. You make a very nice couple. We wish you much happiness in the future. We were very pleased to hear that you were happy with your stay here. Most clients are happy and we appreciate you taking the time to write this responsive at this very busy time in your new marriage. Cape Breton is beautiful. The memories will stay with you forever!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Braintree, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My daughter booked her wedding at this hotel...we had the rooms booked ,the menu set ,and the deposit paid, then she got the call ..."Sorry but we DOUBLE BOOKED and you won't be having your wedding here !" Are you kidding me ..Sorry doesn't begin to make up for this kind of mistake ...The name "Mistake on the Lake " has been well earned !!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ruth c
Rhoda G, Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this review, September 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I take full responsibility for this mistake. I can only imagine how upset you must be. I would feel the same way. I wish I could make things right but I can't. All I can do is tell you and your family again that I am so sorry for making this mistake.
Halifax, NS
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We are a family of four and were travelling in Cape Breton for two weeks. We made a reservation at the restaurant many weeks in advance to celebrate a special occasion when on the Island. We arrived a little earlier than our reservation, but the restaurant didn't seem busy and after a short wait, we were on our way to be seated. On the way into the restaurant, the older lady (maybe the manager or owner) answered the phone and yelled at the person on the other end that she was working and very busy. She was extremely short tempered. I certainly hope it wasn't a customer but regardless, it was a very rude display in front of customers. We were seated at a nice table with a view of the lake. We received menus and water and then waited, and waited and waited. I had noticed a list of "specials" posted outside the restaurant but no one came to read them. After about 20 minutes, a waitress showed up and said "so do you know what you're having?". I reminded her that we hadn't heard the specials. She proceeded to read them from a note pad, and was clearly not the least bit familiar with them, as one meal came with "basmatic" (rhymes with "asthmatic") rice. The chicken dish posted on the list outside was absent from her list. Once she was done reading them, she returned to "so do you know what you're having?". I told her we might like to start with a drink, as there was a drink and cocktai menu on the table. I ordered from the menu, the Kir Royal. She had no idea what I was saying and I had to literally spell it for her. My husband ordered Gin and Tonic. Again, she had no idea what he was ordering. I told her we would need a few minutes to figure out what we'd order. She left our table and went directly to the reception area. I took a walk to read the specials for myself so I could figure out what they were. After about 10 more minutes, no drinks had yet appeared, no bread, no waitress. She was parked at reception. We stood up and walked out.

I must say that I grew up in Cape Breton and have felt the service was great anywhere we went. We aren't snooty "foodies". We just wanted a nice meal out. I have never walked out of a restaurant before, but this was unbearable. I don't blame the waitress. She was clearly not prepared to be serving tables. She had not been properly trained or managed and it must have been horrible for her. This place touts itself as fine dining, but perhaps it should scale back to a casual bistro and provide better (or any) service. It was an absolute frustrating and disappointing experience in an otherwise incredible trip. I highly recommend Cape Breton as a destination, just find another place to dine!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wspears
Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment. You did have a horrible experience. I was the rude person on the phone. It was not a customer but a tele-marketing company which calls about 5 times a day. As for the server, she is no longer in our employment. You were her last table. Hopefully your next visit will be much better.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. When we arrived, we were greeted by a cold and somewhat rude person who was apparently the manager (we found out later). The room looked clean. However the bed and the pillows were so uncomfortable that we could not sleep at all. The matress was uneven and the springs where poking out. The pillows were uneven as well and the filling was clumped together. The next morning, before heading out, I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk and she said that she is going to look into it and will change our room.therefore I packed everything before leaving. When we arrived at night the manager was there and when I told her about our concern she just shrug her shoulders and told us that since we were not there and our stuff was not packed!!!! she could not change the room (I bet that she did not even check the room) When I told her that our stuff was packed she shrug her shoulders again and started doing something on her ipad!! At some point she even told us that if we are not happy, we can leave (it was 10pm at night!) We were more unhappy about her attitude and behavior rather than anything. We travel extensively and issues with the room happens but I have never came across a hotel manager who is that rude and behaves in a way that she does not care at all.

Room Tip: If you want to stay here ask for a king bed. Apparently those are better!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank panjegoli
Rhoda G, Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I remember this case very clearly. When you arrived at the inn you were not happy with the view from your room and you wanted to be moved. We were full and I had no other rooms available. Understandably, you were upset with me. The next day you you spoke t o my assistance. She passed the message onto me. I phoned down to your room but there was no one there. By the time you returned that evening(about 10 PM), once again I had no rooms left to move you. Seeing how upset you were I offered you our staff room. This was not accepted. Then I went to my office and phone around trying to find another location for you. I found a hotel which still had an opening and asked you if you'd like to change hotels. I offered to refund you your room cost.. Sorry that I couldn't find a solution for you.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

While the staff are very friendly, Rhoda who seems to manage the inn and restaurant lacks the level of customer service one would expect of a 4 star resort. She was curt upon our arrival and dismissive and rude the following evening. We arrived for dinner the first evening at 5:00, were served promptly by a very nice young woman, but waited until 6:15 for our meal to arrive. It was however, one of the best hamburgers I have had.

The second evening, we arrived for dinner and this time were told that reservations were required and there was no room for us at all that evening. Given that their restaurant is the only higher end restaurant in town, we would have appreciated knowing in advance that reservations were required for dinner. Our mistake for not asking I suppose, but it was the manner in which she turned us away that was offensive - very abrupt and condescending. .

Overall, a nice, clean place to stay for a night or two but I believe their website oversells the property and amenities. While we enjoyed some time reading on the dock, their propery is not one that you want to hang around all day. It is small, with just 4 chairs on the dock and some kayaks, a peddle boat and canoe. We found a fabulous beach neaby in Point Michaud though! I have no doubt that the meals are excellent, but it takes more than great food to round out a resort experience.

We have spent the last week touring around Cape Breton (B&Bs, small inns) and have found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. Hopefully, those will be the memories that we will take home with us and we won't let one sour apple spoil things.

2 Thank CJZuzu
Rhoda G, Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you for your honest opinion. We are delighted to hear that the wait staff was to your liking and that the burger was one of the best you have ever had. Sorry that you didn't realize that reservation are recommended in our very busy restaurant. I do remember you coming to the buffet. but unfortunately we were sold out.. You expressed your dissatisfaction in a very loud voice stating that you would never return. I bite my tongue and just said, "Okay". Although we try our best, obviously some days are better than others. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Glad that you enjoyed the rest of Cape Breton.
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful lakeside setting and comfort of this inn whose owners and staff were delightful as well as welcoming. Our room was quiet and cozy. It was pleasant to enjoy a late afternoon glass of wine down at the dock before sitting down to a really excellent dinner of planked salmon in the lovely diningroom. Highly recommend this inn and restaurant to all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dieppe, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is our second time at this Inn. The staff is personality plus, the rooms are very clean, the view of the lake is great and to top it all the food is more than delicious. Last year we dropped in on Thursday night to be entertained with very pleasant keltic music. This year we landed on a wednesday night and enjoyed a young piano player accompanied by a saxophone player. We would recommend this to anyone who also enjoys nature as there are walking trails along the canal with amazing views of boats and other pictoresque views.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Peter's
Hearthstone Inn Port Hawkesbury
Hearthstone Inn Port Hawkesbury
#2 of 2 in Port Hawkesbury
The Iona Heights Inn

Been to Bras d'Or Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!