“I would not stay here again!!!”

Bras d'Or Lakes Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 St. Peter's B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. When we arrived, we were greeted by a cold and somewhat rude person who was apparently the manager (we found out later). The room looked clean. However the bed and the pillows were so uncomfortable that we could not sleep at all. The matress was uneven and the springs where poking out. The pillows were uneven as well and the filling was clumped together. The next morning, before heading out, I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk and she said that she is going to look into it and will change our room.therefore I packed everything before leaving. When we arrived at night the manager was there and when I told her about our concern she just shrug her shoulders and told us that since we were not there and our stuff was not packed!!!! she could not change the room (I bet that she did not even check the room) When I told her that our stuff was packed she shrug her shoulders again and started doing something on her ipad!! At some point she even told us that if we are not happy, we can leave (it was 10pm at night!) We were more unhappy about her attitude and behavior rather than anything. We travel extensively and issues with the room happens but I have never came across a hotel manager who is that rude and behaves in a way that she does not care at all.

Room Tip: If you want to stay here ask for a king bed. Apparently those are better!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank panjegoli
Rhoda G, Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I remember this case very clearly. When you arrived at the inn you were not happy with the view from your room and you wanted to be moved. We were full and I had no other rooms available. Understandably, you were upset with me. The next day you you spoke t o my assistance. She passed the message onto me. I phoned down to your room but there was no one there. By the time you returned that evening(about 10 PM), once again I had no rooms left to move you. Seeing how upset you were I offered you our staff room. This was not accepted. Then I went to my office and phone around trying to find another location for you. I found a hotel which still had an opening and asked you if you'd like to change hotels. I offered to refund you your room cost.. Sorry that I couldn't find a solution for you.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

While the staff are very friendly, Rhoda who seems to manage the inn and restaurant lacks the level of customer service one would expect of a 4 star resort. She was curt upon our arrival and dismissive and rude the following evening. We arrived for dinner the first evening at 5:00, were served promptly by a very nice young woman, but waited until 6:15 for our meal to arrive. It was however, one of the best hamburgers I have had.

The second evening, we arrived for dinner and this time were told that reservations were required and there was no room for us at all that evening. Given that their restaurant is the only higher end restaurant in town, we would have appreciated knowing in advance that reservations were required for dinner. Our mistake for not asking I suppose, but it was the manner in which she turned us away that was offensive - very abrupt and condescending. .

Overall, a nice, clean place to stay for a night or two but I believe their website oversells the property and amenities. While we enjoyed some time reading on the dock, their propery is not one that you want to hang around all day. It is small, with just 4 chairs on the dock and some kayaks, a peddle boat and canoe. We found a fabulous beach neaby in Point Michaud though! I have no doubt that the meals are excellent, but it takes more than great food to round out a resort experience.

We have spent the last week touring around Cape Breton (B&Bs, small inns) and have found everyone to be very friendly and helpful. Hopefully, those will be the memories that we will take home with us and we won't let one sour apple spoil things.

2  Thank CJZuzu
Rhoda G, Manager at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thank you for your honest opinion. We are delighted to hear that the wait staff was to your liking and that the burger was one of the best you have ever had. Sorry that you didn't realize that reservation are recommended in our very busy restaurant. I do remember you coming to the buffet. but unfortunately we were sold out.. You expressed your dissatisfaction in a very loud voice stating that you would never return. I bite my tongue and just said, "Okay". Although we try our best, obviously some days are better than others. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Glad that you enjoyed the rest of Cape Breton.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful lakeside setting and comfort of this inn whose owners and staff were delightful as well as welcoming. Our room was quiet and cozy. It was pleasant to enjoy a late afternoon glass of wine down at the dock before sitting down to a really excellent dinner of planked salmon in the lovely diningroom. Highly recommend this inn and restaurant to all.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is our second time at this Inn. The staff is personality plus, the rooms are very clean, the view of the lake is great and to top it all the food is more than delicious. Last year we dropped in on Thursday night to be entertained with very pleasant keltic music. This year we landed on a wednesday night and enjoyed a young piano player accompanied by a saxophone player. We would recommend this to anyone who also enjoys nature as there are walking trails along the canal with amazing views of boats and other pictoresque views.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Beautiful resort, clean rooms ,great food and friendly staff located in a small town by the water. This is our second trip to this resort and will not be our last. Very relaxing atmosphere.Be sure to visit the christmas store "Glad Tidings " near by. It has three rooms of beautiful ornaments, crafts and other nick nacks. The owner is very friendly and helpful with any information on the area. We love this area.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We arrived without a reservation, but thankfully that was not an issue. We didn't get a king room which would probably had a nicer view, but the room was very clean, with a very comfortable bed, and spacious enough. The meal in the dining room was excellent. Lovely setting, carefully and freshly prepared entrées, and a good wine list. Even though we arrived somewhat late (just before closing), we were served very well. This is s very nice hotel in a small village with exquisite views of the lake. Great hospitality and service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brasdor, Owner at Bras d'Or Lakes Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. So happy that we were able to accommodate your needs. We love it when people get to enjoy the great food prepared by our hard working chefs. Be sure to tell your friends so they too can enjoy the great food. Tell them to make a reservation because lately we've had to turn people away because we were full. Hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

Well, we stumbled on a well-kept secret in St. Peter's, (Cape Breton) Nova Scotia called the Bras d'Or Lakes Inn. If you like the outdoors and log-cabin style, this is the place for you. It's quaint, rustic and overlooks the Bras d'Or Lakes. We especially liked the 'bedrock-style' chairs that were in both the dining room and the bedrooms. They were beautiful just like the Inn itself. And the food was something that really surprised us. My husband and I had heard the food was good but it surpassed anything we had expected. It was 5-star all the way and the service was equally great! And we can't say enough about the friendliness of the staff and of the local people. There are also various excursions you can partake in that they are either affiliated with or can give you information on. Our children bought us the sailing excursion package and we had such a great time that we would do it again in a heartbeat. If you are planning to travel to Cape Breton, I highly recommend that you stay at this Inn.

Room Tip: They have some rooms with king-size beds which is what we had.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sail0rsusie

Thank you for taking the time to write a very nice review. So happy that you enjoyed the wonderful gift that your family provided for you. It was a great idea to extend your stay and make it a mini vacation. We all need to learn to relax more and enjoy this precious time here. Our staff works very hard to please our visitors both in the dining room and the hotel. Everyone who has gone on the sailing trip has loved it. We look forward to your next mini holiday.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Peter's
#1 of 3 in Port Hastings
No photo provided
Yellow Seabird B&B Inn
#2 of 3 in St. Peter's

Been to Bras d'Or Lakes Inn? Share your experiences!