“Great centrally located, family hotel”
Review of Downings Bay Hotel

Downings Bay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Downings
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Downings Bay Hotel is a very family-friendly hotel. The staff are warm and welcoming. The adjoining bar serves great food all day. The breakfast is typically Irish with lots of cereals, bread and fruit also on offer - we went for the full Irish fry though a great start to the day.
The family rooms are spacious and airy. All rooms have a kettle for making tea or coffee.
This is our third year staying in the hotel and I am sure it will not be our last.
The hotel also offers access to the local swimming pool and kids activity centre (soft play for toddlers, trampoline, slides etc for older kids).
All-in-all a great hotel.

Room Tip: the room directly above the kitchen can be noisy and warm - try to avoid that one.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Downings Bay Hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel. Room was lovely and clean. Reception is dull but very adequate. Bar was dead. We didnt book this place online but saw a sign for it with a picture of a swimming pool. My wife got ready for the pool, asked at reception and was told out the main door, up past the GAA pitch and turn left- the public pool. Best to take the car, she was told! Still a pleasant hotel and no conplaints otherwise.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Eoghan O
Reviewed August 18, 2013

While staying ay Melmore in our caravan decided to have tea here with friends. On arrival the bar was extremely busy and all tables taken. We asked if we could eat in the foyer and on being advised that we could, we selected two tables at a private area at the windows. The food was lovely - steak and Guinness pie with vegetables, chicken stirfry, chicken escalope and a kids meal of sausage and chips, the staff pleasant. We had a main course and sides only but at 97 euros for 7 adults and a child thought this was reasonable. Would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed one night here as part of a motorcycle rally. It was a bank holiday weekend and there was a festival on in the village so the whole place was very busy. We waited a bit for a table to order food, having ordered we had to wait a while for the food to arrive but as I said they were very busy. The food was excellent and very good value. We had a few drinks then strolled to the beach which has to be seen to be believed.
Plenty of craic later in the bar and a great night was had. The hotel had plenty of staff on to cater for the crowd though. The room we had was bright, airy and spacious, very clean and modern. Staff in the hotel were polite and friendly and gave us a great welcome.
Breakfast was very tasty indeed and served in good time even though the restaurant was busy. I have no complaints at all about the hotel and look forward to going back in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TravellingCouple64
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Downings in our motor home this weekend and ate both nights in the bar at Downings Bay. Staff were very helpful and friendly, and the food was good and plentiful. I had stir fried chicken both nights as it was so good,. My husband had the steak and Guinness pies which he has raved about ever since. There was plenty of meat in it and beautifully cooked. Only downside is keeping an eye for a free table, but on the second night we asked to eat at the bar, because finding a free table was an art in itself!
We'll definitely go back.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed in hotel for one night. Room was fine no particular issues with that. No real off street parking. Had €60 for two meal option which was alright but seems it does not take much to put kitchen under pressure. This was more obvious next morning. A few events in town for the weekend and breakfast was very slow. It would be better to have self service option in morning instead of waiter service + no porridge on menu!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My friend and I recently stayed here for one night. The hotel itself is fine, our twin room was spacious with a large bathroom. We had food in the bar which was lovely, but in sharp contrast the breakfast was disgusting - I had the "full Irish" which on that particular day consisted of really poor quality meat and mushrooms that you could bounce off a wall. The waiting staff were pleasant but, again, unfortunately I can't say the same for the staff at reception... Upon arrival, our greeting wasn't particulary warm, and when we were leaving we were not even asked "was everything okay" or "did you enjoy your stay?". The greeting upon check out was "checking out? Card or cash?" I waited to see if, at this point, we would be asked how our stay was but it didn't happen. When I got my receipt for payment I asked "are you on TripAdvisor?". The reply was "yes we are, why is there a problem?" At this stage, I was going to give my feedback but I felt I would have received a defensive response so I felt it better to say nothing at that moment. Being a person from Donegal myself, I am always very proud of how friendly and pleasant people from Donegal are - needless to say I was disappointed with the initial and final greetings at the Downings Bay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bredabre01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Downings
Beach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portnablagh
Mulroy Woods Hotel
Mulroy Woods Hotel
#1 of 1 in Milford

Been to Downings Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!