“Heavenly horse ride”

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Heavenly horse ride”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

EASY TO ARRANGE FROM THE U.S.

E-mail communications are easy because Bruce the owner is fluent in English. He lived in the U.S. for 15 years. I made a reservation for a two-hour ride (and no lodging) by exchanging two e-mails with Bruce. Payment was easy via PayPal. Bruce e-mailed a Word attachment containing a questionnaire (age, height, weight, riding experience, etc.) and I completed it in Word and e-mailed it back.

EASY DRIVE from Plitvice Lakes Nat'l Park, 90 min, scenic.

WARM-HEARTED HOST Bruce is naturally sweet, kind, patient, welcoming, sharing, and attentive, especially about safety around horses.

GREAT HORSE RIDE Bruce put me and my hubby on horses one at a time and had us walk around near the house to get acquainted. He gave us riding advice, especially the idiosyncrasies of each horse (what works to ask the particular horse to turn, how it tends to behave, etc.). Lovely landscape. Bruce offered info about the land, plants, seasons, history, and more anecdotes about the horses, my favorite! The horses were well behaved, very willing to work, eager to please. It was easy to ask them to lope (slow gallop) a few times.

GREAT LUNCH (see photos) after our ride, lunch was served to us on the house's balcony: freshly homemade quiche-like pie with stinging nettle and cow spinach freshly picked downstairs, freshly picked home-grown chives, ajver (pronounced eye-var, a Croatian condiment, seasoned red bell pepper and eggplant mush), excellent ruby-colored homemade wine, and Turkish coffee (with sugar, dark chocolate chunks, and walnuts on the side). The local organic cow's milk provided a new and wild tasting adventure: one sip made me feel like I was chewing on the cow herself! Let's just say it was strong and bold and not for the faint of heart.

FAIR PRICE the ride + lunch cost half of what it costs for a similar ride, but with no meal, in California!

LODGING we did not stay at the Ranch. Wish we had! Maybe next time.

GO THERE FOR RENEWAL AND INSPIRATION

My luminous experience at Linden Ranch keeps fueling my creativity. If you like horses and the idea of a valley in mountain foothills, sparsely inhabited, rural, natural, rejuvenating, then go!

Visited May 2012