“A great place to unwind.. even in low season”

Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I travelled in low season so you have to expect that most places on the backpacker route are going to be quiet. I did however find that the accommodation was excellent, simple but clean. I was lucky enough to stay in one of the cottages which was very comfortable, but also saw the new double rooms which looked exquisite and I think are excellent value for money.
Dinners & breakfast were delicious, great value with very generous portions.
The staff were brilliant, very helpful and interesting to chat to which I think is really important when there aren't a lot of other travellers around. They seemed genuinely interested in socialising with the guests and went out of their way to assist me with getting on activities.
I would highly recommend both the cultural tour and the horse ride (despite not really being a horsey person).
Wouldn't hesitate to return!!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I came to Cintsa because I wanted to do several of the lodge's activities, including the mountain biking and township tour. Sadly, all of the lodge's guides were at the tourism conference in Durban, so none of these signature activities were offered, meaning we had to make our own fun with a few self-guided activities. Considering Cintsa's relative isolation, I feel that it was irresponsible of the BP staff to not inform us of this important detail when we made our reservation. That said, the beach is beautiful, the river is nice for a paddle, the lunch is tasty and the bar gets pretty busy.

One other point to mention- my friend had money stolen from her wallet inside the lodge's safe. Also, while Cintsa is apparently partly community owned, I still found that the Bucc's team was largely split along racial lines between office staff and cleaning/grounds staff.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The beach is very nice but the lodge is very poor equiped and dirty.iI could be nice if you don't take care of the room cleaning and you don't need commodities as Wifi or TV at the room.
Breakfast was also very poor.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Joan R
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Had a good couple of days at this backpackers on my way down the coast.

It is very isolated however in high season this would not matter.

Reception staff could be more informative in regards to trips and more willing to help you book them.

However the bar staff were excellent and very funny especially Shaun!

I would say that even though it is off season more care could be taken of the hostel, a lot of lunch options were not available and there were no coast to coasts.

The horse ride they offer is well run in regards to safety. Try not to book on a windy day though.

Fantastic beaches and views from the hostel!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The location of buccaneers is absolutely stunning but what made it so great were the staff! Everyone was so welcoming and really made you feel at home. The food was really good and the rooms were clean with beautiful views. Two nights wasn't long enough and I can't wait to get back there as soon as I can.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

Really nice backpackers with great views of the beach. Really nice bar area and good buffet style food. Small communal kitchen. Stayed in an ensuite cabin which was lovely, really big with a terrace overlooking the beach. very short walk to the beach which is beautiful and has monkeys in the trees! Would definitely recommend would love to come back

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
BuccaneersCintsa, Owner at Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Thanks for your really lovely review
We are so thrilled that you had such a lovely stay with us!
and we really look forward to having you back in the future.
kind regards
The Buccs Team

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

The location of this hostel is simply stunning. The views will blow you away and the beach is a short walk away.

On my first night here I stayed in one of the safari tents, as the dorm was full, which was OK though quite noisy and not great value for money. I also cut my foot open on a rock walking there as the path is really badly lit.

The dorm rooms are OK not the cleanest but alright. We had a slightly random experience when a man came into the dorm from the balcony at 9.00pm, asked which bed was free and then proceeded to sleep on top of the covers before leaving very early the next morning. Apparently he worked there but I have never known staff to sleep in the dorms before, especially not when they sneak in via the balcony.

The shared kitchen could definitely be better but if you don't want to self cater the restaurant does food every night and is apparently very good.

I met some cool people here and would stay again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

thanks for your review
We are pleased that you enjoyed our stunning location - however we are really worried to hear of your experiences with one of our staff coming into your dorm.
This is totally unacceptable and we really need to follow it up -
So if possible, would you be willing to correspond via mail with us, just to get a description of the guy, so we can ensure it not to happen again?
Also we are most apologetic about your comment on the lighting up the the safari tents and we are definitely going to get that looked at asap
-so- we hope that your next stay will be a better one!
kind regards
the Buccs team
The buccs Teamhat

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chintsa
Prana Lodge
Arendsnes Holiday and Conference Centre
Crawford's Beach Lodge
Crawford's Beach Lodge
#2 of 2 in Chintsa

Been to Buccaneers Lodge & Backpackers? Share your experiences!