“What a great place for an adventure!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guerrero
Bahia La Tortuga Fishing Lodge
Oregon
“What a great place for an adventure!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This place continues to be one of my favorite fishing lodges. The service couldn't be better, food is top notch, and fishing outstanding.

This time I went down on short notice for a quick weekend away. What an adventure. Sailfish, a turtle rescue, topped off by shark fishing on light gear. FANTASTIC! Really, it was so good, that I booked a trip for 2016 just make sure that I would be able to bring my buddies down to experience this magical place ( even though I have another trip there in November!)

Lodges now days seem to be commercial, and impersonal. Not this one. John and Angela do everything possible to make sure each trip is unique and special. Hanging out in the palapa, trading stories, and taking in the fantastic view after an exciting day fishing is as good as it gets in life.

If you're looking for an adventure in Mexico that is different than any other, check this place out. Tell 'em I sent you!!

Room Tip: Any room is great!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank mpn7330

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Washington State
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I had been to Bahia La Tortuga, 6 months ealier, and fished with owner/operator John Lorenz. My/his goal was to tease up a Sailfish that I could attempt to hook on a fly rod. The first Sailfish that was "teased up", grabbed my fly as it passed the incoming teaser bait that was being furiously reeled in by John. I got a firm hook set, and the fight was on. About 20 minutes later, John's 1st mate released a beautiful Sailfish that pushed 90 pounds. My first Sailfish on a fly rod, on my first attempt. My trip was complete.
I had been booked for this latest trip, for over a year. I booked last December, for this January. I didn't know it at the time, but we would be fishing with a captain I'd never fished with before. John had a mechanical problem with his boat, and that kind of mixed things up a little. I was apprehensive, but John assured me that our captain was very good at what he does, and fishing had been very good the past few weeks. There had been a lot of Sailfish around.
My fishing buddy loves to use a fly rod, inshore, when the fish are plentiful. He's had some really good fly fishing for Bonito and Sierra Mackerel and so we had planned to spend our first day in shore. Well, we did catch some fish that first day, but the fly rod was never used because we never saw a single fish breaking the surface for bait. All of the fish we caught that day, we caught trolling with Rapalas or plastic squid.
When we compared fishing stories that first afternoon, with the other lodge guests, we found out that the off shore fishing was "HOT". Lots of Sailfish caught, and quite a few Dorado. So it was an easy decision to make, that we'd be going off shore the following day.
I have a habit, when writing these trip reports, of getting too descriptive and long winded. So, I'm going to stick with the basics and make this my shortest report to date.
Over the next 4 days of fishing, my fishing buddy and I caught (brought to the boat) 25 Sailfish and about 8 Dorado. We missed hookups numerous times, and had several come off, after the hookset. I had one break off, because I put too much thumb pressure against the spool.
I'd like to state that all of these fish were caught on our own gear, which is considerably lighter than the gear the captains carry and are accustomed to. I'd also like to state that we only put out 2 baits (two rods). One couple, who fished the same week we did, had a higher total count, however their captain was putting out 4 and 5 lines each day and he also hooked a lot of their fish for them. I'm proud of the fact that my fishing buddy and I did it on our gear, by our own hands.
The lodge looked better than ever, and although I didn't go down to the newly constructed palapa, on John's newly acquired lower beach front lot, my buddy said it's a very nice place to hang out.
The food was excellent, as always. The staff was courteous and eager to please. The weather was beautiful (hot, compared to where we'd come from). The ocean was mainly calm, and Sailfishing took place only a few miles from shore.
I'm booked for this coming December. John's business has grown to the point where it's necessary to book far in advance, for a visit during December and January.
For anyone reading this report, who has never been to Bahia La Tortuga, do yourself a favor and book a trip. Feel free to contact me, and I'll be glad to tell you about the gear I've used over the past 10 trips, for both in shore and off shore fishing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main lodge
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank tallnxee
milton wi
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We just came back from our second trip to John & Angie's lodge. We took our 2 daughters (18 & 13) with us for the first time. We all had a wonderful experience. Great fishing, great beach, great food and great accommodations. We loved swimming in the bay and hanging out in the new beachfront pavilion. Saw whales, dolphins and sea turtles. We caught 10 sails and 10 Dorado in four days. We came in early 2 days to spend more time relaxing at the lodge/beach/pool. Lots of fish were caught by others staying at the lodge with us. To summarize, within the 1st hour or our arrival, our 13 year old was already asking about coming back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank traveler pam
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Wonderful vacation, superb fishing and delicious food. What more could you ask for.
John, Angie and their staff have yet again provided a wonderful trip for me and my family. This is my fourth trip to the lodge and this year I had a group of 5 ( age range of 17-80!). We caught 28 sailfish and 12 dorado with some fish well into the trophy class!! This is the first time that I have not fished with John himself and I was very pleased with the quality of his other Captains. Very skilled and also very friendly with enough English to get by just fine.
Food terrific as always. This year I spent more time swimming in the ocean as John and Angie have added a beachside palapa. The beach is excellent with clear warm water. Saw whales at least half the days to add just a bit more fun as well. I am already booked for a second trip this year in October and again of course for next January.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank steven a
Florida Keys
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I just returned from my annual trip to Bahia La Tortuga Fishing lodge. First off, let me describe the fishing. I caught 31 sailfish and 14 Dorado. Do I need to say more?

As always, the food was excellent. The scenery is spectacular. I enjoy sitting in the lodge watching the sun set over the Pacific. I even saw a whale swim by.

The owners, John and Angie, his wife, will make you feel special. Great fishing-great food- and great folks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Billfisher_9
Delia, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

If you love to fish and want to enjoy tropical climate the Bahia la Tortuga lodge is somewhere you should visit. It is truly a piece of paradise. My husband and I were there earlier this year but the fishing was poor and despite John’s efforts we only were able to catch a rooster fish, one sailfish and some sierra mackerel. We were so impressed with the atmosphere, food and overall hospitality of John and his wife Angie and their fantastic staff we decided to return.
John and his fleet of fishing guides are uncanny in their ability to find fish, if fish are there, and see that you are able to bring them to the boat. Angie and her helpers keep the grounds and the lodge immaculate. Angie is a phenomenal cook and always presents the food like an artist. If you have special needs or requests every effort is made to meet them. Our second trip was like coming back to family. This time we caught 24 sailfish, 8 Dorado, 6 sharks and a marlin; all in six days fishing. We can only thank everyone at the lodge for a great time and say “We cannot wait to see you again next year!”
submitted by Bernadette Tabor

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bernadette T
Seattle
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Just returned from our 4th trip visit in 7 years- Bahia la Tortuga is nothing short of an exceptional fishing lodge in a tranquil town in Mexico . John, Angie and their staff have taken this jewel to a new level in terms of overall commitment to being the best value and fishing experience available. While its much simpler, this is way beyond what you will find in the larger resorts on Mexico.

We were welcomed back like family and found the lodge itself to be kept meticulously clean and updated. They have even added a small pool and a palapa on the beach lot below the lodge, while keeping the down home typical Mexico feel in tact. While the lodge itself is an unpretentious Oasis, Puerto Vicente is still a traditional pocket of life with reminders of Ernest Hemmingway-like simplicity.

Fishing was great- our best trip yet. Sailfish, Dorado, Roosterfish, bonito... Fished with John and mostly our long time friend Roady this trip but have fished with other local captains in the past. Boats are bit spartan but have the essentials and they all work hard to find and keep you on the fish. Some days are better than others but always have their heart in the game.

My sons and I are planning to come back again next year!

Room Tip: Rooms are all quiet, air conditioned and secure.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends