“Definitely will return”

Lakeview Hecla Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hecla Island
“Definitely will return”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We made our first quick w/e trip and definitely will return. We took our two dogs and paid only a small amt extra. The one restaurant/bar provides dine in or take out and many families brought ++ coolers full of food into the rooms and pool areas. The best appetizers ever and ask Adam to make your martini's- rival any! Indoor and outdoor dining/drinking, with delivery to the pools - with just a phone call. For adults - a large mineral pool, hot tub, steam room and indoor/outdoor pool. Could have spent all day! Everything was clean and staff friendly (a bit more of a welcome would have been OK but not a big deal). Bathroom was huge with tub a bit of step to get into because it was a large and deep soaker tub. Shampoo etc was from Bath and Body Works so nice quality. Then - there is the Provincial park with trails and a beach just out the resort back door. A nice hotel in an isolated location that has lots to offer and great scenary. I was very pleasantly surprised given some other reviews. Thank you

Room Tip: We had dogs with us so were provided with a ground floor room at the far end of the hotel. Makes sen...
1 Thank ChrisW154954

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I know spas, I am also a licensed Cosmetologist . . . I am a spa connoisseur . . . when someone needs to know where to go to enjoy a spa day I am the one that is asked. I know spas and I know how they should be managed. The Salka Spa is currently staffed with four 'estheticians' who are actually all apprentices, they all just graduated in June. So, as you are paying for your $230 mani/pedi the gal working on you is getting minimum wage. If I want a hair cut from magic cuts thats where I would go and I wouldn't expect to be charged an Edward Carrier price. When hair dressers apprentice it is illegal to have an apprentice without a licensed professional, so if the same applies this spa should have four licensed estheticians and it does not, there isn't even a manager on site. There is apparently a manager but she has been on holidays for a month, the spa has only been open for a month. The floors in the mani/pedi room are disgusting, filthy in fact and every counter top has an inch of dust, you can run your finger over it and see the trail left behind. I doubt the floors or the spa was even cleaned prior to re-opening but what do you expect when a bunch of 17 year olds are running it. I enjoyed this spa when it was run by the Clarion. Lakeview and Four Points obviously have no clue. We then went to the mineral pool which is no longer a mineral pool, it is just a pool with rocks on the bottom and full of screaming unparented kids. The entry says "18 and older only", I spoke with a gal in the spa and she said kids are in there all the time but no one manages it. We were told we could order lunch from the phone in the pool, the phone doesn't work and is covered by spider webs, looks like it has not worked in months. This entire hotel is lacking management, we ate at the restaurant twice and the food is excellent and the price point is perfect, there was a line up of people waiting to be seated and five staff were standing behind the corner eating. Obviously staff need to eat but maybe take shifts and do not ignore customers standing waiting to be seated. Again, management is lacking. Currently the gorgeous golf course is not managed by Lakeview, god help it if Lakeview takes it over because that will go downhill as well. Obviously Lakeview doesn't care what is going on here or they'd be responding to these reviews. So unfortunate as this resort has so much potential and is so beautiful.

6 Thank Princesstamtam55
WINNIPEG
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Overall this hotel was disappointing. If I hadn't received the discounted rate for a weekday stay I would be even more upset. The views, trails, and overall look and feel made up for some of the shortcomings. As with other reviewers I was disappointed with the many maintenance issues that I encountered.

For a hotel catering to weekday getaway packages for families using their water park as a draw, I think it would only be ethical business practice to inform customers at the time of booking that half of the water park is not operational. The hot tub was also out of order for the first 2 days of our 3 day stay.

The sleep number beds in the rooms are a nice touch but our leaked and my side of the bed deflated as I slept. They did solve the issue.

The air conditioning in our room did not work for the first day. They did solve this issue as well.

There was a place on our wall with brackets for a picture to hang but there was no picture. Just a small detail but speaks about the care of the property.

The safe in our room malfunctioned and I could not use it during my stay. They could not reset it using their diagnostic tool due to a software issue and they didn't have the updates for the "new safes" yet.

I got to know the maintenance man very well over 3 days, he was friendly and did his best but this is not the person I want to see every day during my trip.

The restaurant was hit or miss, the staff seems young and inexperienced. The food was very good for the most part but the hair in my fruit and the ice cold french fries were not.

Upon check out I was asked how my stay was. I nicely recapped some of the issues and the desk person just said "oh ok" and finished processing my bill. Apparently just a textbook question that they're required to ask. There should perhaps be some protocol for how to handle my type of feedback. I wasn't looking for a discount but a hint of empathy would have at least been nice.

They were glad to take my money with no real concern for any of the multiple issues that I encountered.

5 Thank Drew D
Winnipeg
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay and liked the changes
made to the resort over the last 20 years

There remains considerable opportunity for improvement

Lobby
the first thing that greets you is the smell of chlorine from the pools
The staff seems not to be happy you have chosen their resort
- no greeting
- no map of area - things to do
- no description of services available -eg free DVD's for guests

Accessibility
The accessibility for people in wheelchairs or using scooters or other mobility aids is not nearly up to today's standards
The resort lacks in accessible washrooms - I did find one at side of the lobby
area next to the Parkview room

Other than the automatic door to enter the hotel - expect difficulty everywhere else
No push button doors anywhere in the resort

Getting around the patio and the bridges is next to impossible with
uneven surfaces and curbs everywhere

From the parking lot to the hotel along the garden you will find
an uneven and narrow surface that almost tipped my scooter

The grades of the ramps in the hotel - code? - I don't think they would meet it

Rooms
Our room was attractive and functional
Fortunately it was a cooler time when we visited as it was impossible to cool the room
as the AC was not working. You could set whatever temp you liked and it stayed hot

The window does open a crack so overnight the room cooled a couple of degrees
I removed and cleaned the AC filter - takes about two minutes to rinse it out
I was disgustingly dirty - once rinsed it passed more air but the compressor
never kicked in

The tub could use some handrails on the walls as it is near to impossible
to step out of the spa depth tub if you are a shorter person
Beds were acceptable though not of the quality one would expect at a higher end
hotel
They have this strange air system to control the hardness of the bed
Sadly the screen on the remote for this is worn out so hard to get what you want

Flat screen TV and DVD player - check out the ATM like dispenser near the check in
Movies are free to guests -just need a credit card to get them out and to return them
- nice service and good selection (wish the front desk staff would have mentioned it

Rooms were very quiet - no noise from hallway or adjacent rooms

The Hotel is also Pet-friendly so lots of dogs on the pathways - nice to see

Restaurant
the menu is quite varied and the prices are reasonable
Breakfast was good, prepared very slowly for my wife, but in a reasonable time
when I arrived - Restaurant was not busy at either time - just steady

The food and service is inconsistent

We had dinner on the patio 1 evening and came back 2 hours later
and the table we used was still not cleaned - also not overly busy in the restaurant

We loved our chicken caesar pizza and the amazing resort made French onion soup!

On our second day I wanted to try another pizza - superb thin crust cooked in
a special stone oven - sadly I was told there was a problem with the dough
and it would likely make me ill so I had to make another choice.

I chose battered pickerel ( fish and chips ) - the fish was soggy underneath and the apparently
fresh-cut fries - oddly luke warm - When our server asked how everything was he suggested
he could microwave the fries for me ( that explained their odd texture and temperature)

My wife order "mini" stuffed yorkshires (an appetizer) She was presented with 3 giant
yorkshire pudding popovers that appeared burnt and were quite dry - ceratinly not mini

My second cup of coffee - so clear - you could see through the pot

We found the beer and liquor prices quite reasonable although the staff could not
tell you what brands of beers were available

We loved the family friendly changes made to the menu but feel the quality could be controlled
better with less choices and better trained staff

For an option - try the Lighthouse Inn - just up the road at Gull Harbour
Nice food and reasonable prices

Spa
Closed - not sure when they are open as the hours on the door indicated they
should have been open

The outside area next to the pools was unkempt including a broken umbrella stand
and garbage laying about

Pools
Hot Tub, Cold Plunge, Steam Bath - Adult Pool with area to swim outside

Kids area - waterslide and splash - lots of fun - high chlorine

Room prices were reasonable

We enjoyed our visit and will probably return - hopefully Lakeview will make a go of things
get a nucleus of trained staff and management and make some improvements to accessibility
in the resort and consistency in the the food services

1 Thank weshazlitt
Winnipeg Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a quick getaway for our 25th anniversary and Hecla Resort was excellent. The rooms were reasonably priced, especially considering the amenities offered. The restaurant also offered excellent value. We dined on the outside patio for both dinner and breakfast and it was so scenic looking out over the grounds and towards the lake. Rented mountain bikes for an hour - they are in excellent condition and well suited to the terrain. Very pleasant riding around the campground and around Sunset Beach. Walked the Lighthouse Trail after dinner and it was so beautiful overlooking the lake as we walked along the narrow strip of land out to the lighthouse. Really impressed with the variety of trails so close to the resort and how well maintained they are. (Didn't even get to the Marsh trails - will have to come back for another visit) Ended the evening spending an hour in the adult only mineral spa in the various pools which was totally relaxing. The next day after checking out, spent time visiting the old Hecla townsite. Can't say enough good things about this resort- there is much to do in very pleasant relaxed surroundings. Rooms were great, staff was good. Congrats to Lakeview for re-opening this resort. Will definitely return!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have to say right off the start that this resort could be so much better with alittle more detailed looked at. Hecla is a nice getaway if you are looking to leave the city and spend alittle time relaxing and enjoying the outdoors. We recently stayed here and came back with the impression of not sure if we would go back or not yet. To start off I have to say our king suite was awesome. We really liked the room layout having two kids with us was nice cause we could put them to bed and still have the living room to watch tv (or free movies to rent. Rent the movies early cause there is only 1 movie avail. per movie) we had a nice high window and the view was facing the lake (if you could see thru all the bird poop and spider webs) but the worst part of the whole trip was the carpet in the room. It was unacceptable! It was so dirty that we couldn't take our shoes off the whole time. When I complained at the front desk right after we checked in she just looked at me finally handed me a comment card. Nice customer service! The restaurant in the hotel was really good. Very slow but the staff worked really hard the whole time we were their and you could tell that they were very short staffed. We enjoyed the pizza the first night. Really good! The next morning we had breakfast and the flies in the restaurant were horrible!!!! We finally moved outside. Breakfast food was very good as well. The patio is really nice to sit on. Except dishes and food were left on tables from the night before. But the view towards the lake is really enjoyable. They could take a pressure washer and give the windows and patio a good wash down (wouldn't hurt) We spent the day at the beach (no one used the beach) abit rocky. Bring water shoes. We wanted to use the kids pool outside but apparently the outside was all torn apart due to piping issues. It would have been nice to been told ahead of time. We could only use the kids area inside and that I found was terrible. Broken chairs, pool towels just left from the day before, drink cans everywhere. And it was so hot and smelly in there. The adults inside was alot nicer but cause we had kids we couldn't use that area. Even the outdoor adults area was never cleaned up. Weeds everywhere, food dishes in the cabanas were left. No one really seemed to care. Our room the second night did not get cleaned until 5:30pm after asking if we could get our room cleaned. We just spent the day at the beach and wanted to take a quick shower before dinner. We left the room again and then it got cleaned. You could tell it was really cleaned fast!!!! No hand towels left. Garbage bag left, bathroom counter hardly wiped up, toilet paper roll left on the floor. This hotel could be so much better if they could just pull things together. I tried to talk to the manager when we left but he had excuses when I brought things to his attention. Ex. like the carpets he told me cause they were so over booked that the carpets could not get properly cleaned but next month they will all get cleaned. But what about the paying customer now? Does that not matter? He said they had the same problems at Gimli lakeview as well when they first opened. If they knew that then why was there problems at Hecla? Not very prepared to take on a hotel then. We spent two nights here plus all the food we bought at the restaurant. It wasn't a cheap getaway. But we knew that when we booked. All we asked for is a nice clean resort. I don't really think that is asking much. The staff at this hotel should be told not to stand at the front entrance and smoke. It looks bad. First impressions. Overall this hotel could be a really nice hotel/resort. Hopefully things will get better.

1 Thank Lisa F
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We Stayed here for 4 days and it is amazing outdoors indoors everywhere! However there are some minor issues like they need more employees, they need more lighting and the service could have used some smiles. But overall an Great Place to spend vacation

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Namex3

Been to Lakeview Hecla Resort? Share your experiences!