“Friendly and welcoming”

Taprospa Tissa
Ranked #48 of 77 Tissamaharama B&B and Inns
“Friendly and welcoming”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our stay here was made to feel welcome the staff couldn't do enough for us
The room was clean and comfortable and the view from our room was absolutely beautiful
Thank you to the management and his staff for all their kindness, they all made us feel most welcome
I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel appears almost 'closed' in fact it would be better if it was!
Arrived for only one night stay (thank goodness!). Staff not welcoming as in previous hotels - indeed our driver had to ask for someone to get our bags - which so far on this trip is most unusual!
Room below average for classification - grubby although beds clean and good pillows.
Told we could not have alcohol due to full moon - actually we walked around corner and were served beers no problem in other hotels - indeed the real reason was probably because the bar in this place was totally out of order! See pix.
Staff appear to be living in bedrooms, building work not finished by lake - pool great. Hotel seems to be being used as a 'club house'. Suggest management get a grip and introduce common basic standards - will never consider coming to any of this groups hotels ever!
We have stayed in various locations so far - and are having the best holiday in wonderful sri lanka. the temple festival last night was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed November 2012

Travelers are raving about these Tissamaharama hotels

zurich
Reviewed October 25, 2012

It was not my first stay at the Taprospa Tissa and since I have been spoiled by the staff during my first visit my expectations were quite high when I returned this October.
And my expectations were not only achieved but even exceeded! The friendly manager and the ever smiling employees saw to it that I wanted for nothing.

Taprospa Tissa is a charming hotel with an fantastic view over the Tissa lake from the verandahs of the rooms and the restaurant as well as from the infinity pool.
The rooms are very nicely decorated, equipped with ac, tv and fridge. The garden with the beautiful old trees and the infinity pool is very well kept.

Understood that my room was always cleaned properly but they even arranged for the pool to be cleaned early in the morning before I went for my first swim.
The food was very delicious and I could taste some new Sri Lankan dishes I didn’t know before. The chef yet gave me the recipes for his chicken curry and sambal so I will be able to prepare them myself at home.

The manager not only arranged the usual safaris to the nearby national parks for me but also helped arranging my trips to the ancient sites of Maligawila and Buduruwagala.

I enjoyed my stay very much and I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the ground floor are very nice, especially no 1, 2 and 3
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Yorkshire
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed for 1 night when visiting Yala ( which is great) . This place used to be called the waterfront and got dreadful reviews and I'm sorry to say things have not got much better. We got one of the refurbished rooms ( 1,2 and 3). The setting is lovely overlooking a lake and with a super almost infinity pool although the grounds are a bit grubby and rather unkempt. The room was a bit of a joke. I walked in to the bathroom and the tap came away in my hand. The bedside lamp , clock and safe didn't work, the fridge had no shelves or anything in it and the food was a grim set menu of chicken or fish with chips. The staff tried but the new manager stood around doing very little when a brief walk around would have picked up these problems. This place could be so good with some decent management and a bit of investment in effort and better catering.

Room Tip: Rooms 101 /2/3 are newer
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great view of the Tissa Lake from the hotel. You can just spend hours in the pool staring at the distant horizon over the lake and gazing at an ancient sthupa. Food is buffet style but ok. Rooms need a little more teething but other than that good. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank UdiWickz
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We must have been lucky to have got one of the newest rooms, so the floors as well as furniture and bathroom were freshly renewed and even smelled new. The food was absolutely good for a European, and the drinks were cold. All of the rooms have a wonderful view of the lake, so do not forget to take pictures in the evening - amazing sunset is guaranteed. We took a safari trip which is quite a short way from the hotel, and this was one of the best impressions throughout the whole trip!

Room Tip: Make sure you have something to spread on your skin against mosquitoes, they were quite wild and had...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed May 6, 2012

A beautiful small hotel, with great views over the Tissa lake - quiet, peaceful, and homely. On the night we stayed, we were the only guests in this 15 room property, which is under new management, and were warmly greeted by the manager. We were rather later than expected at the hotel, explaining to the manager that we had a delayed start to our day because we had some business to attend to in the morning, and didn't have our own computer with us. The manager immediately offered us a laptop that we could use, and furnised us with the Wifi password. It seemed no request was too much for the very willing and helpful staff.

The rooms are lovely, and very well fitted with modern showers. Outside there is a nice verandah with a couple of chairs overlooking the infinity pool and lake - very serene.
We also had dinner there, and although the menu wasn't great in terms of choices, the staff went out of their way to help. We wanted some fried cashew nuts to nibble on, and although they did not have it, someone ran down the road, and procured it for us.

Now that is what's called hospitality. All the food that was brought to the table was also well prepared and very tasty.

There are a few minor operational improvements that could be made. For example, the swimming pool shower tap is a bit temperamental, but again this was attended to by the pool attendant. It made no difference to our enjoyment of the place however.

The view from the pool is fantastic. It was a great choice. I had initially contacted the Jayasinghe Holiday Resort, which is

located off the main road a little further towards Kataragama, whose prices seemed over-inflated compared with Taprospa. Taprospa however, is located near the old Rest House on Courts road with the Tissa Tank (lake) as its backdrop.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family