“"I Don't Know What This Costs, And I Don't Care!"”

Casarena Restaurante
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is designed so each seat features majestic views of the Cordillera de los Andes. Enjoy a leisurely lunch of Mendocinean cuisine & premium wine pairings.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

That was my stepmom's statement during the meal two nights ago.

Chef Mun put on one of the most amazing meals I have ever had, in a beautiful setting, with some fantastic wine pairings, and it was actually fairly reasonable for the price.

The dinner is set up at Casarena Winery, which is about a 30-minute cab ride from downtown Mendoza, in Lujan de Cuyo. It's a beautiful estate, and the dining room is spectacular, with a nice 14-person table set up for a wonderful dinner.

To have this amazing experience, you have to email them directly, but once you get there, you forget the rest of the world exists. We started with some Casarena sparkling wine outside, then went up to the dining room. The meal was five courses, with wines paired for each. Far and away the highlight for me was the Malbec-cooked Wagyu filet, with wasabi mashed potatoes, but that's not to take away from the rest of the meal, all of which was amazing.

We sincerely could not have asked for a better way to finish our first trip to Mendoza. Unequivocally recommended.

2  Thank Pfdr17

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Mun is both a fabulous destination for food and for the sheer experience. The setting is amazing. You arrive at this beautiful winery just as the sun is setting and sip your sparkling wine while gazing at the vineyards. Mun and Cary are gracious hosts and make you feel very much a part of their venture. The food is simply outstanding. The soba noodle dish would be a stand out on any menu in any great restaurant in NY or LA. The other courses more than kept up. It was simply an incredible meal. The wine pairings were excellent--I am now convinced that I need to find a Pinot Noir to enjoy with sushi! Do not miss out on this while in Mendoza! Thank you, Mun and Cary, for an incredible night!

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Mun's restaurant/dining experience at Casarena Winery and Vineyard was more than I could have asked for. After three months of studying in Argentina, the food was the most flavorful I had tasted. We were greeted by Cary with some unlabeled sparkling wine and then sat down for a tasting menu created by Mun and paired with wines from Casarena. The table and dining room were spectacular, barrels of oak surrounding the diners. We started with Mun's version of a Chinese chicken salad that was light and delicious. We then had a cold soba noodle soup that was one of the most unique dishes I have ever tasted. The third course was three different types of sushi, my favorite being a crispy rice with spicy tuna, topped with a jalapeño (a rare find for Argentina). This was paired with a special pinot noir that was created just for this specific dish, incredible. Then we were served beef, of course, but it wasn't your typical parilla beef. I appreciated Mun's creativity and respect of Argentine cuisine, while incorporating his Asian background. We finished with a green tea ice cream. Overall, the meal and the company was fabulous. If you go to Mendoza and don't do this you are crazy! This is a must see and do - simply amazing.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I had a memorable evening at Casarena Bodega y Vinedos with delicious food, perfect wine pairings, and some really interesting company - though for me, only one dish of the five was truly remarkable.

We arrived quite early and were greeted with a glass of fizz outside the restaurant. The main front-of-house representative was really friendly and entertaining and chatted to everyone. The general serving staff were slightly less uber-slick but charming, and seemed to get into their stride as the evening went on.

There were about 40 people spread across 3 tables. We got talking to two ex-pat couples currently living in BA, so it was really interesting to chat to them and hear about their experiences. The restaurant aims to create the ambience of a dinner party, and I think it is very successful in this. I think the majority of people there were English speaking, so non English speakers, and certainly non English and/or Spanish speakers, may struggle.

All of the courses were delicious and the only really small criticism I could make is that the steak course was slightly tepid rather than warm (maybe it's supposed to be like that - but I would have preferred it warmer). There were a few imaginative touches throughout the meal, such as chilli in the sushi and each dish was very competent - if not completely innovative; for example the green tea ice-cream was brilliant but nothing new. However the second course, a Korean soup, was a complete knock-out. There were so many interesting flavours and textures and it was like nothing I have eaten before. The wine pairings were perfect - I almost didn't notice them, and I mean that as a compliment - they didn't compete with the courses, just enhanced them perfectly. And I didn't think I would ever say that about red wine with sushi!

The total bill was about £40 per person (for everything) which I think was incredible value, albeit I am used to London prices.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

If you're in the Mendoza area and have had your fill of carne, give the parillas a break and go to Chef Mun's experience at Casarena.

You are greeted by gracious hosts with espumante in the foyer of this beautiful bodega. Then on to the beautifully set dinner table inside a stunning barrel room.

The dinner was exceptional, with unbelievably well balanced spices and ingredients, all paired very well with Casarena's delicious wines.

Chef Mun and Cary were wonderful hosts who took the time to get to know you throughout the meal.

Definitely do not miss this experience!

FYI, you must make a reservation in order to go. Also, recommend taking a remise if you don't plan to drive yourself; it's off the beaten path a bit. Plus you be drinking quite a bit of wine so better to have someone else do the driving!