Beech Hill House
Hotels.com
$100
Lakeside Hotel(Newby Bridge)
$272
All reviewsthought of everythingsewing kitwelcome basketgrange over sandslocal pubdog friendly accommodationpoop bagsbiscuitswalk in wardrobedog ownersdog treatssmall fridgethree roomson arrivalenjoyed staying heredog bowlguests staying
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The food can't be faulted nor can the room apart from there was only 1 easy chair, and the t.v. wasn't working properly. I asked about the t.v. and Jenny tried but said the channels had been changed and she would send Stuart up. When he didn't arrive we didn't bother them because Jennys' son was very ill at the time. We had been warned that the steps were slippery my partner fell and I slipped, I feel that with all the products on the market this could be treated and made a lot safer.
We cut our stay short, I felt very sad and let down as I had been so looking forward to going there and had really built it up to my fiance.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susan A
Jenny0053, Owner at Beech Hill House, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

We are saddened to hear our guest didn't enjoy her break with us, but she arrived with a very swollen face caused by an abscess, which she said was extremely painful and this may have had a bearing on how she felt about her stay.
What a pity our guest never thought to ask for a second easy chair, as we could have easily given her another.
On occasion, even though we provide an instruction sheet, if our guests don’t understand how to work the television we are happy to help. When our guest asked for help I showed them in great detail how to find the channels, a couple of them had just changed that we were not aware of, which sometimes happens with FreeSat, so I showed them how to choose the ones they wanted, and how to control the volume. In passing, I mentioned that if I couldn't sort out the television then Stuart, my husband would, as he knows more about the technical side of things than I do. Our guests were both happy with what I showed them and before leaving the room I asked them to let us know if they had any further problems and we would come and help. I didn't say I would send Stuart up because our guests were happy with what I’d shown them. If I had mentioned this, then he would have come up. We heard no more from our guests regarding the television that evening, nor the following day, so understood they were now able to work it okay.
My guest knew my son had been very ill before she arrived because she follows the work we do with the rescued greyhounds on the internet and, on occasion, I mention my family. Having been in the hospitality industry for over forty years, my son being ill would have no bearing on the professional way we run our bed and breakfast.
Sadly, we were not aware our guests had slipped as they never mentioned it while here. We've had the wettest year on record and we've tried our best to keep things safe for everyone. We have a special coating for the balcony, but we are unable to apply it until it dries out, hence the reason we warn our guests to be careful.
We were quite shocked to see our guests leaving early, and thought at first it was because of the pain caused by the abscess, especially as we were unaware of anything else being wrong. We were also very surprised to receive a letter from her asking for a refund of her last night’s stay, especially as the key to the balcony door in their room had been broken in the lock requiring the unit to be replaced before another guest could stay.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Beech Hill House exceeded our expectations. Jenny & Stuart were the perfect hosts and the room was perfect in every way, lots of extra touches in the room and a welcome sherry greated us on our arrival. Our 3 dogs settled in straight away in fact they didn't want to come home either.

We would recommend this lovely guest house, the rooms are very spacious, with sat TV/DVD player along with plenty of DVD's to watch if you want or plenty of books if you just want to relax and read.
The sitting room provides games, it is the perfect place to sit and relax. and access to a laptop if you need one plus free wifi .
The breakfast is the best I have ever had and the choice you get is fantastic they also offer a breakfast tray that you cam have in your room if you prefer.
Enjoyed staying here so much we have booked to go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank punkyjane
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Beech Hill House was absolutely fantastic, Janet and her husband definitely went the extra mile to make us welcome, there were loads of little things such as dimmer switches in the room and bathroom, which we appreciated. Sleigh bed was so comfortable I could have slept there all weekend! Would definitely stay again, and we are fussy customers.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ade62
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at Beech Hill House in November 24th/26th, we used it as a base for our visit to the Dickensian Christmas Festival Ulverston Cumbria, its a dog friendly B & B run by Jenny and Stuart lovely friendly couple nothing was too much trouble for them, even when I'd lost my phone and had to go back after we left, Stuart helped me find it in the room.

We had the Garden room, as we had our chocolate lab Tyler with us, it was spotlessly clean there was a glass of complimentary sherry on the table for us, bed was very comfortable and the room comfortable, spacious, lots of storage, TV, Wifi, plenty of tea/coffee sugar and milks + biscuits, there even a tv guide, There was Lots of choice of dvds ,books, magazines, shower was great lots of hot water, even Tyler was given his own bed :)

Breakfast had lots of choice of cereals, fruits, fruit juices,bread, plus full English breakfast which was cooked exceedingly well :) yummy

Jenny told us all about the local area and dog walks/nature reserve

There was even a torch provided to use, for safety for walking along the dark road to the Derby arms pub which is a short walk away and great for an evening meal, there's also a small shot close by

Room Tip: We choose the garden room as we have a dog and we also smoke so could go outside without passing through the B & B room has its own access
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank davenjulie
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Booked for Christmas eve and Christmas day, as my son lives in the village and the rest of the family were all staying with him. Saw some OK reviews BUT the place was GREAT. Owners were very friendly. The room was very spacious with a good sized bathroom and came with TV/DVD, hundreds of DVDs and two welcoming glasses of sherry. We had breakfast in the room boiled eggs , cereal, toast and so much more. Eggs were fantastic with lovely orange yolks. Do not have a dog, but they are very welcome to stay (the B&B is a greyhound sanctuary). Will definitely go again.

Room Tip: There are three rooms we had the one with a double and single beds. There might be traffic noise from thr main road to Barrow, but being christmas we heard very little.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple