“Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #2 of 5 Near Sawrey B&B and Inns
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Spent 2 days here, lovely hotel set in a stunning location with beautiful views from the downstairs rooms we went into. Our bedroom was on the 2nd floor, small, compact and clean as was the shower room. Nice view if you stood on a chair, opened the skylight and looked out. Enjoyed 3 course dinner on the first night. Very limited choice but tasty and to a very high standard. Portions were rather too large and we couldn't eat everything unfortunately. Not a great atmosphere in the dining room or bar area either. They could perhaps do with slightly more modern music rather than jazz. Staff pleasant and friendly. Outstanding views from the terrace and tea room next door. Downsides - wardrobe door was wonky and I stubbed my toe several times on the doorstop which was right next to the toilet. My husband who is 6 foot and well built struggled with the lack of space in the bedroom. Wish I had rung the hotel, told them it was our 5th wedding anniversary and offered to pay more to upgrade. Shame really.

Room Tip: Reading the other reviews, I wish I had rung up the hotel and paid more to stay in a larger room. We...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Karen C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Sawrey House Hotel. I hope you enjoyed our beautiful part of the world while celebrating your 5th Wedding anniversary. It is a shame you didn't upgrade to one of our Lake View or Four Poster rooms for your special occassion as they are much larger than our Standard Double rooms, which, although well appointed to the same high standard as our other rooms, are ideal for those on a budget and still wanting to enjoy a beautiful hotel in a stunning part of the Lake District. Our menu, whilst small does change every day, so there is lots of fresh local dishes to choose from for those staying a couple of nights or more with us. The issue with the wardrobe door was fixed as soon as it was brought to our attention but I'm sorry it wasn't picked up by the housekeeping team in the morning. Overall I trust your stay was enjoyable and you found the staff friendly, and attentive and you left having enjoyed your short break with us.
Best Wishes
David and the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Czech first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have just got back from a 2 night bed breakfast and dinner, and what a lovely hotel, from our room, the staff and food we could not fault anything. We had the Grizedale four poster room over looking the lake, the bed was so comfortable that we didn't want to get up. We must also compliment the chef the food was unbelievable I ate thing I had never eaten before and his home made shortbread was scrum shush in had to buy some to bring home.
David can we just say thank you so much and see you next year for our 8th anniversary.

Dear sly2604,
Thank you for taking the time to review your short break at Sawrey House Hotel. I never get bored of reading when our guests have had such a perfect stay with us and found the hotel, staff and food so faultless. Unfortunately Callum's shortbread biscuits are far to tasty and I seem to have a perminant pile of them sat on my desk for me to much.. it's a tough life!! I will, of course, pass all your comments on to my team and we will all be looking forward to welcoming you back for another visit to Sawrey House very soon.
Best Wishes,
David and the Team
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on the 14th march for bbd and Bb second night. It was a deal from wowcher so well worth the money, paid extra for a larger room and to stop on the weekend, which I thought was worth the extra.
Room was lovely, at the very top of the house, with a view overlooking Beatrix Potters hill top house. Small Bathroom, flat screen tv, free wifi, tea and coffee making facilities, with biscuit made by the chief,nice touch I thought.
Went down to dinner, beautiful meal,very well cooked and presented, excellent!
Didn't stop at hotel for drink, thought a short walk to the pub would be nice, so not really sure of the prices at the bar.
Didn't have a great nights sleep, beds are a bit hard for me, but rooms are kept warm and very clean.
Breakfast on both mornings was superb, with everything you could think of, and a lovely hot menu too.
Beautiful views of the lake, and countryside, with a tearoom on the side.
Location is breath taking and using the ferry it's about 10 mins drive to bowness.
Fabulous stay and I would recommend, would never have thought of going here if I hadn't seen it on the web.

Cotswolds
Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have just returned from a few days in the lakes & were lucky to have found this delightful hotel. We were given a warm welcome & taken to a delightful room with a view that money cannot buy, probably one of the best we have ever had. Directly looking over the lake with the mountains in the background just breath taking. The staff were so helpful & attentive nothing was too much trouble, we were only booked for bed & breakfast & wished we could have spent more time to stay for dinner. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Everything about the hotel was perfect, stayed in the deluxe 4 poster bedroom. All the staff were polite and attentive and the building itself is gorgeous. The photos really do not give the place justice, the food in the restaurant for dinner is 100% worth trying as everything is cooked and presented perfectly. Cannot wait for our next trip.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank KatieandGareth14
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night, wish it had been more. Could not fault anything about this hotel. Gorgeous setting with wonderful views. Room was very comfortable with a view overlooking the lake. Everything was spotless and the staff were friendly and welcoming. We will definitely be going back!

4 Thank Janet H
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

We had out wedding here in December, and it was the most perfect time from beginning to end. My now husband and I arrived on Thursday night to be greeted warmly by one of our 3 member staff team, that would stay with us throughout the whole weekend. Our room was beautiful and we enjoyed our relaxing time before the rest of the family arrived. When everyone else arrived on Friday, they were all more than happy with the gorgeous country house and their rooms, the fire was roaring and staff were so attentive to us all. They tried in every way to accommodate each individual need. The food throughout the weekend was gorgeous and plentiful. Breakfast was a huge variety, made to order and set us up well for the day. We had a little hiccup with our wedding music and one staff member even went home to get us a new CD, thank you so much Toni. Our wedding itself was perfect, the room set up beautifully and exactly how I'd imagined and the staff were on hand to attend to our every need. Every guest commented on the food and how perfect and lovely the whole weekend was and that was all thanks to the staff and the beautiful, picturesque location. I cannot thank the staff enough as without you it would not have been the same. It was lovely to have a small, yet very efficient and attentive staff team, as that added to the intimacy of our small wedding. I cannot recommend this place highly enough. It was an amazing weekend and wedding, for a very reasonable price, and us and our families all plan on returning. It was perfect, please consider this as your wedding venue if you are looking for a perfect, flawless, intimate event with fantastic staff. Thank you so much to our staff from that weekend and all at Sawrey House, you made our wedding perfect and memorable for all the right reasons.

Stayed December 2013
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Ees Wyke Country House
Ees Wyke Country House
#5 of 5 in Near Sawrey

Been to Sawrey House Hotel? Share your experiences!