“What a disapointment.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Near Sawrey B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“What a disapointment.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked 7 nights here after reading the reviews but I feel like we went to the wrong hotel.
The hotel itself is lovely and well positioned.
However the best feature is the view from the breakfast room which is half obscured by thick fawn curtains. What a waste!
Our room was very comfortable and the view lovely. The shower came apart in my hands on the first day but was fixed. The sink did not drain properly and the big patch of mildew was wiped off after about day 5.
However at no time in the whole week did anyone ask us if we were enjoying ourselves or if everything was ok. In fact the only person that interacted with me was the lovely young lady that doubled as cleaner and waitress.
I had intended to voice my opinions on checkout but one again after paying out hundreds of pounds we were not even asked if we had enjoyed ourselves.
The first morning I went down to the sitting room I had to clean away the previous nights dishes before I could use the table.
The hotel also has 2 very large but quiet Labradors.
The food was very amateurish. I appreciate that as the mother of a chef who works for one of the UK's top chefs I have high standards. The toast was white on one side and cooked on the other, the muffin was raw and the scrambled egg rubbery. The final insult came on the last day when they had clearly substituted Golden Syrup for Maple. The consistency is completely different apart from the taste. Also the pancake was liquid at one end. I did not complain at the time as I had intended to have a chat at checkout but that opportunity never came.
On a happier note the food at the Tower Bank Arms at Sawrey provides good tasty home cooking.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fangnaf
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear fangnaf,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am indeed disappointed to read about your visit with us during your time in the lakes and have looked into the issues you mentioned personally. I found your review rather damning and also rather unfair on a number of points and having discussed the issues raised with my team found that your demeanor during your stay was rather standoffish. All our team members (who are usually very friendly and interact with all our guests during their stay) had at some point tried to engage with you, but all got the distinct impression you didn't want any interaction with them. As for the 'shower coming apart in my hands', this was actually just the top of the bath/shower selector which I personally fixed for you in about 5 seconds and as for the sink not draining properly, this was simply the fact that you failed to operate the plunger properly, again which I showed you and you had no further issues with. As for the 'previous nights dishes', these where indeed 2 tea cups that were left by guests the previous night. As they wanted to stay up late, these 'dishes' wouldn't have been cleared away until the following morning, however, there were 5 other clean tables to choose from. As with the other negative points that you mention in your review, I do indeed wish you had brought these to our attention. There was a member of the management team on duty every day and you were checked out by one of the owners, surely the perfect opportunity to raise any issues? All in all we are a very friendly and approachable team, but if we don't know something is not to your satisfaction, how can we do anything about it? It is also a shame that you didn't mentioned all the positive things we did for you, including giving you clean towels for every day of your 7 day stay with us, the complimentary robes that are not standard for your room type, the card and chocolates we gave you for your anniversary, organising the champagne and chocolates from your friends, extra bottled water free of charge each day instead of just the one for your arrival, extra biscuits for your tea tray, again, free of charge and the private use of the bar area each morning whilst using the internet. We try to look after all of our guests as best as we can at Sawrey House and I'm pleased to say that we succeed the majority of the time, however I am sorry we failed to satisfy you on this occasion.
David, Toni and the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked this hotel about a fortnight before our stay and as we had not previously visited this area of the Lakes, after reading previous reviews we thought we would try this lovely hotel.
First impressions were very good and one of the owners Toni, greeted us, checked us in and made us feel very welocme.
We had only booked Bed & Breakfast, but having read the menu decided that we would book a table for the evening and were very pleased we did. After a drink in the bar, we were taken through to the dining room where the food was excellent and topped off with coffee in the lounge where they have a nice log burning fire.
The bedroom was nicely furnished and decorated and had great views overlooking the lake.
As for dinner the choice and quality of the breakfast was great and set us up for the day.
We would certainly (in fact already have) recommend this hotel for a nice quiet relaxing break in the Lakes away from the hustle and bustle of Windermere and Ambleside and we certainly intend to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear ErnieWright,
Thank you very much for your lovely review, it is always such a pleasure to read positive reviews knowing that our guests have left happy and wanting to return. We are thrilled you had such a wonderful time with us and found the hotel to your liking and trust you managed to make the most of your time in the Lakes whilst staying with us. I am delighted to read you have already recommended us and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Gateshead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is our second visit to this hotel. The first was after a close family bereavement and just what we needed the second was more recent and exceeded our expectations. To me when you walk into this hotel you leave all your cares and worries behind. It has a relaxed ambience that lends itself to relaxation. We had a lovely room with a lake view, immaculately clean and everything we needed on hand. Breakfasts are superb with plenty of choice and freshly prepared. Evening meals interesting and imaginative. What I particularly like is the attention to detail in the food, decor and from the staff, The only teeny tiny gripe i have is in relation to the hotel parking. On our arrival and also the following day we found it impossible to get a space in the hotel car park We later discovered that people visiting the National trust property 'Hilltop[ are allowed to park there when the NT car park is full.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear GatesheadCheekychops,
Thank you for taking the time to review your second stay at Sawrey House Hotel. It is always a pleasure to welcome back regular guests and we are delighted you enjoyed another great stay with us. I will be passing on all your praise onto our team and we will all look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future. As for the parking issue, please accept my apologies, I have reminded the National Trust about leaving spaces for our hotel guests and will be erecting designated 'residents only' signage very soon to deal with this issue. Thank you once again for your lovely review and we look forward to another return visit from you.
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just had a great week in the Lakes; cycling, walking, birdwatching and general sightseeing, often at National Trust properties. Our week was made all the more enjoyable by staying seven nights at this hotel. We had a front facing room (5, the Grizedale) with a magnificant view towards Ethwaite Water. The room is large with all the usual, and expected accompaniments; speciality tea, coffee, large flat screen television and plenty of drawer and hanging space. Mineral water and biscuits were only provided on arrival though! Room and en-suite were very clean but the T roll holder needed tightening up on the wall. All staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive.

We opted for the DB&B every night and were, apart from a couple of deficiencies from the kitchen, well pleased. On one occasion the duck breast was on the tough side and on another the boned Quail did contain bones, but niether warranted complaint. These aside the evening dining was excellent. Also worth noting is that canapes and coffee with petit fours are all included. Breakfasts were wonderful, a very wide choice of both cold continental or English, or full cooked English with fish options or any combination. Breakfasts really did set us up for the day.

The guest longe and bar are comfortably and friendly and all parts of the hotel are maintained and cleaned to a high standard. The house is, I think, Victorian but has been refurbished with a tasteful mix of old and new.

Had we stayed here for only one night and been unlucky enough to have been served up the tough duck and bone-in Quail, plus a loose T roll holder, we would maybe have had some reservations about the place, which a few reports do seem to have. However, staying the week allowed us to sample the full potential that Sawrey House can deliver and we would unreservedly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Unclemort54,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sawrey House. We're delighted you had such a great break in the Lakes and found our hotel to your liking. I have discussed the issues raised in your review with the team and, as always, we will be striving to be even better in the future. We have also started putting our freshly home-baked biscuits into our rooms daily, so you will now be able to enjoy our chef's delicious biscuits every day of your stay! Thank you again for your review and your lovely comments and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Liverpool, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful, in lovely surroundings. We had the dinner, bed and breakfast package. The food was wonderful, as was the room. A great place for a romantic getaway, with brilliant service to boot.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank molluscstar
Dear Molluscstar,
Thank you for deciding to stay at Sawrey House for your wedding anniversary, we are delighted to hear that you had such a perfect time for your special day and delighted you found our hotel so good. We hope you consider us again for your next romantic getaway in the lakes!
kiingswood surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having read previous reviews we could not believe how bad the food was,we did not have a good meal in five nights, we were so disappointed that we did not have dinner on two nights even though
we had to pay for it, we had far superior food at two local pubs. The list of complaints is endless
but just a few examples, Mussels overcooked and very salty, a Sunday roast as recommended
as the chefs special so all four of us ordered it was completely inedible, beef so dried out and tough
you could not cut it with a steak knife (we ordered rare a were assured this was possible),
yorkshire puddings that were so solid and dry they would have made good cannonballs, soggy roast potatoes and overcooked veg.
Duck breast ordered pink, overcooked and tough. Rib eye steak cooked medium rare as requested but poor quality and full of gristle, soggy onion rings but the chips were good,
overcooked smoked haddock overcooked Quail, etc etc etc. Either the chef was on holiday
and the gardener was doing the cooking or they need a new chef.
Was there anything good about our stay, yes,the rooms were comfortable and clean, the views from our rooms overlooking the garden superb, the staff friendly and helpfull and overall the breakfast was good but none of this is much good if you cant get a good meal in the evening.
I still cant understand why we had such a bad experience after so many good reviews, we are not picky, habitual complainers or trouble makers, all we wanted was a pleasant holiday and
good food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank william C
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear william C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is indeed disappointing to read that your experience of our restaurant was so poor and I offer my apologies to you now. As you mention, we have many excellent reviews, in fact 94% of reviewers class us as excellent/very good, so receiving such a low score is very upsetting and extremely rare. Due to the nature of your review, I have asked Callum, our Head Chef, to respond to you personally and his response is as below.
Kind Regards
David Bulmer - Owner

"In response to your review, firstly I would like to apologise that your dining experience with us was not as you would have expected. As the Head Chef. I take all comments on here very seriously and very personal.

Your Mussels are cooked with traditional cured back bacon so this maybe why you felt they were salty but I can assure you no salt was added. It's a shame you never mentioned this until the following night, as I would have been able to replace this dish for one more to your liking.
When your roast dinners where sent back, I immediately tried it and agree the beef was unusually tough and this is why I offered to change your meals for you and you were compensated with a bottle of wine. The roast potatoes are cooked in a seasoned goose fat and this makes them moist and rich, but I apologise that this is not how you personally prefer them.

As for your steak, I am surprised you found it poor quality. The fat in the centre is supposed to be there in a Ribeye. You were offered a new steak but said no and continued to eat the one you had. Never the less, I am sorry you did not enjoy it. We have a good working relationship with our butcher and think his quality is outstanding and consistent. We source all our produce locally to provide quality and 100% traceability.

I was under the impression your third night with us was fine, your table was checked and you said that everything was good, so again can only apologise that you changed your mind and said you had not one good meal.

You decided to try the local pubs on your last nights and I regret that you felt you had to do this. We would have been happy to have cooked for you in a simpler style and take pride here at Sawrey House to taylor menus and dishes to our customer's needs, including any dietary requirements. We take great care in everything we do, from our daily changing menus, homemade breads to our handmade chocolates and petit fours. We make everything from scratch using only 100% fresh produce and this is why it upsets us that you have not had a good experience.

On a positive note, I am glad you enjoyed the breakfasts. We cook everything to order so it can not be fresher, and I agree that the views are simply stunning.

I hope this response was of some help and thank you for taking the time to review us."
Callum Harvey - Head Chef
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

It is a bit of a shock to return to town and to living on a main road after having spent a wonderful week at the Sawrey House Hotel in Near Sawrey, Cumbria. Firstly, it is a beautiful house, with pleasant bedrooms and a most comfortable sitting room. The house is Victorian in period, but with all the modern furnishings and comfort one could wish for. Breakfasts are superb, with a good choice. Dinners are available for those who wish to book them. The service is exemplary and everything is so clean. It is warm, and care is taken with changing of bed linen and towels at frequent intervals. The staff are very welcoming. An added joy is the terrace and the beautiful gardens. We sat one evening watching the mist rising from the fields by Esthwaite Water, hearing the cries of sheep that eventually vanished in the fog, with the light of the dying sun diffused through the mist. It was magical. In the morning - what joy to eat your breakfast looking out across the garden and watching the rabbits play on the croquet lawn! And you are in Near Sawrey, home of Hill Top and Castle Cottage where Beatrix Potter lived. The descendants of her sheep (Herdwicks) are in the fields. We are looking forward to making another trip as soon as possible!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the car park but you could get one overlooking the garden if you booked ea...