“Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 5 Near Sawrey B&B and Inns
Liverpool, England
“Perfect”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Stayed here for our wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful, in lovely surroundings. We had the dinner, bed and breakfast package. The food was wonderful, as was the room. A great place for a romantic getaway, with brilliant service to boot.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank molluscstar
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Molluscstar,
Thank you for deciding to stay at Sawrey House for your wedding anniversary, we are delighted to hear that you had such a perfect time for your special day and delighted you found our hotel so good. We hope you consider us again for your next romantic getaway in the lakes!
David, Toni and the Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Czech first
kiingswood surrey
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having read previous reviews we could not believe how bad the food was,we did not have a good meal in five nights, we were so disappointed that we did not have dinner on two nights even though
we had to pay for it, we had far superior food at two local pubs. The list of complaints is endless
but just a few examples, Mussels overcooked and very salty, a Sunday roast as recommended
as the chefs special so all four of us ordered it was completely inedible, beef so dried out and tough
you could not cut it with a steak knife (we ordered rare a were assured this was possible),
yorkshire puddings that were so solid and dry they would have made good cannonballs, soggy roast potatoes and overcooked veg.
Duck breast ordered pink, overcooked and tough. Rib eye steak cooked medium rare as requested but poor quality and full of gristle, soggy onion rings but the chips were good,
overcooked smoked haddock overcooked Quail, etc etc etc. Either the chef was on holiday
and the gardener was doing the cooking or they need a new chef.
Was there anything good about our stay, yes,the rooms were comfortable and clean, the views from our rooms overlooking the garden superb, the staff friendly and helpfull and overall the breakfast was good but none of this is much good if you cant get a good meal in the evening.
I still cant understand why we had such a bad experience after so many good reviews, we are not picky, habitual complainers or trouble makers, all we wanted was a pleasant holiday and
good food

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank william C
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear william C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is indeed disappointing to read that your experience of our restaurant was so poor and I offer my apologies to you now. As you mention, we have many excellent reviews, in fact 94% of reviewers class us as excellent/very good, so receiving such a low score is very upsetting and extremely rare. Due to the nature of your review, I have asked Callum, our Head Chef, to respond to you personally and his response is as below.
Kind Regards
David Bulmer - Owner

"In response to your review, firstly I would like to apologise that your dining experience with us was not as you would have expected. As the Head Chef. I take all comments on here very seriously and very personal.

Your Mussels are cooked with traditional cured back bacon so this maybe why you felt they were salty but I can assure you no salt was added. It's a shame you never mentioned this until the following night, as I would have been able to replace this dish for one more to your liking.
When your roast dinners where sent back, I immediately tried it and agree the beef was unusually tough and this is why I offered to change your meals for you and you were compensated with a bottle of wine. The roast potatoes are cooked in a seasoned goose fat and this makes them moist and rich, but I apologise that this is not how you personally prefer them.

As for your steak, I am surprised you found it poor quality. The fat in the centre is supposed to be there in a Ribeye. You were offered a new steak but said no and continued to eat the one you had. Never the less, I am sorry you did not enjoy it. We have a good working relationship with our butcher and think his quality is outstanding and consistent. We source all our produce locally to provide quality and 100% traceability.

I was under the impression your third night with us was fine, your table was checked and you said that everything was good, so again can only apologise that you changed your mind and said you had not one good meal.

You decided to try the local pubs on your last nights and I regret that you felt you had to do this. We would have been happy to have cooked for you in a simpler style and take pride here at Sawrey House to taylor menus and dishes to our customer's needs, including any dietary requirements. We take great care in everything we do, from our daily changing menus, homemade breads to our handmade chocolates and petit fours. We make everything from scratch using only 100% fresh produce and this is why it upsets us that you have not had a good experience.

On a positive note, I am glad you enjoyed the breakfasts. We cook everything to order so it can not be fresher, and I agree that the views are simply stunning.

I hope this response was of some help and thank you for taking the time to review us."
Callum Harvey - Head Chef
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

It is a bit of a shock to return to town and to living on a main road after having spent a wonderful week at the Sawrey House Hotel in Near Sawrey, Cumbria. Firstly, it is a beautiful house, with pleasant bedrooms and a most comfortable sitting room. The house is Victorian in period, but with all the modern furnishings and comfort one could wish for. Breakfasts are superb, with a good choice. Dinners are available for those who wish to book them. The service is exemplary and everything is so clean. It is warm, and care is taken with changing of bed linen and towels at frequent intervals. The staff are very welcoming. An added joy is the terrace and the beautiful gardens. We sat one evening watching the mist rising from the fields by Esthwaite Water, hearing the cries of sheep that eventually vanished in the fog, with the light of the dying sun diffused through the mist. It was magical. In the morning - what joy to eat your breakfast looking out across the garden and watching the rabbits play on the croquet lawn! And you are in Near Sawrey, home of Hill Top and Castle Cottage where Beatrix Potter lived. The descendants of her sheep (Herdwicks) are in the fields. We are looking forward to making another trip as soon as possible!

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the car park but you could get one overlooking the garden if you booked ea...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lexietta
David_Bulmer, Owner at Sawrey House Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Lexietta,
Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review. I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful break at Sawrey House and found everything to your liking. I trust you made the most of your visit to this wonderful part of Cumbria and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Wales
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two nights and it was great in every way! The staff were friendly and very helpful. I had a single room and whilst it was quite small it had everything I needed. The only critisism is that I found the bed a bit hard for me! The breakfast was amazing with everything you could think of to eat! It set me up very well for a days walking! I didn't have dinner in the restaurant but the menu looked very good. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing hotel. I will certainally be visiting again! Thank you.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear cazj77,
Thank you for taking some time to review your recent stay with us. It's always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay so much and we are delighted you did too. We're thrilled you enjoyed our breakfast and you should indeed try dinner next time, you won't be disappointed! Don't forget to add us to Facebook or Twitter for all our great offers straight to your page, and we look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future!
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel was great in every way! The room I had was a single overlooking the car park, but it was just me on my own for one night so it was fine for my needs. The en suite bathroom was nicely done... again no complaints from me about the size becaue it was a single room. The best 2 things for me were the staff/service and the food. Both were brilliant! I recommend this hotel (and restaurant) to anyone looking for a peaceful short stay while in the Lake District area! I will stay here again without a second thought!

Room Tip: If you have a room at the front (car park view) remember to use the black-out blind.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Dear A J,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Sawrey House. I am thrilled that you found our hotel to your liking and enjoyed the service and food so much. The hotel is indeed in a very peaceful location and is ideally situated for anyone looking to avoid the hussle and bussle of Windermere and Bowness and I'm glad to read you would recommend us so highly.
Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Lancashire
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Lovely hotel in a beautiful location, good food, comfortable rooms and very attentive staff,although I must agree with a previous contributer, the young man at breakfast was not as efficient as the young lady who served us at dinner.
Lovely walks from the Hotel and the proximity to interesting tourist attractions including Hill Top, next door, and Wray Castle a few miles away makes a stay in this area a must.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms have a lovely view of the lake and gardens
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Lizzie85,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are delighted you found Sawrey House so good and managed to make the most of your time with us. We have addressed the concerns with our male waiter and all our staff are fully focused on delivering efficient and friendly service to all our guests, everytime. We hope you consider us Sawrey Hoouse Hotel again for your next trip to the Lakes!
Huddersfield
Reviewed September 1, 2012

The title says it all. We only stayed one night at the Sawrey House, but it was wonderful. We stayed in the luxury 4 poster room with the jacuzzi bath overlooking the lake and garden. It was all wonderful, the staff, the setting, the food, and most of all the amazing scones they serve at afternoon tea.
Thanks a lot!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Holidayheaven91,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Sawrey House Hotel. It's always a pleasure to read when our guests have had such a fantastic experience with us and we are delighted you enjoyed your short break too. We hope you can stay longer with us next time and dont forget you can sign up to our email newsletter to get all the latest offer straight to your inbox!
We hope to see you again very soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Near Sawrey
#2 of 20 in Windermere
Ees Wyke Country House
Ees Wyke Country House
#5 of 5 in Near Sawrey

Been to Sawrey House Hotel? Share your experiences!