“Such a wonderful honeymoon!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Eikenhof
Ekala Guest Farm and Eco Tours
Ranked #1 of 3 Eikenhof B&B and Inns
Milan, Italy
“Such a wonderful honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at Ekala in July 2013 for 5 days and it was really a great experience. Such a warm hospitality! It seemed to be at home. The rooms are comfortable and the meals prepared by Linda were very good. We had few tours with both Malcolm and Janet: Soweto and Johannesburg Tours, Lion park, Pilansberg Park and a 3-days-Kruger park tour. We had great time with them and learnt so much about Southafrica. If you are looking for something different, go to Ekala!
We will never forget this trip!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Federica M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had three days in Johannesburg after 4.5 weeks of touring in Africa. I found this place on trip advisor with great reviews, all the great reviews were right. I was a solo traveller and quite concerned about being in Johannesburg. I arrived very late at night and Malcolm was at the airport to pick me up, his wife Janet stayed up to offer tea and coffee when we arrived at the property. This set the tone for a very welcoming and comfortable stay. I booked 3 day trips with Malcolm and Janet. They were fantastic. They are so knowledgeable and passionate about their city and country. There was no tight schedule to follow which allowed me to take the time I wanted to look around at the various places in Soweto and Johannesburg that we visited. Linda, their daughter, runs the guest house and is a fabulous cook. It was a perfect end to my holiday. Thank you Malcolm, Janet, Linda & Leo for making me feel part of your lovely family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Annette_from_Aust
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Highlight of our summer world tour. I highly recommend this beautiful guest house. Malcolm designed this purpose-built 15-room lodge with lovely angles, pool, gardens and a welcoming atmosphere. Very comfortable beds, excellent facilities and ambiance. They really take care of you at Ekala. Linda is just a superb cook and with apparently no effort the Malcolm/Janet owners/guide duo make things run smoothly. I felt relaxed yet we were on tour constantly; that is a feat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

If you want a beautiful located accomodation, excellent, homemade food and friendly hosts, that's the place to go ! We spent some relaxing days there and enjoyed every minute. The tours (underground mining; Johannesburg) were fascinating and Malcolm gave us a new view of "his" town and country. He is an excellent guide with a huge knowledge.
Elsbeth & Urs

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Knowing that I only had 2 days available to spend in Johannesburg before journeying on to the main focus of my travels, I wanted to be able to make the most of my time. Based on the strength of the TripAdvisor reviews, I booked 2 nights at the lodge including airport transfers and private tours because I felt it would be the easiest, most convenient, and enjoyable way to maximize my experience and minimize any wasted time. I am generally a very independent traveler, so I was a little out of my comfort zone, but TripAdvisor has never let me down.

I often see raves about the friendliness and hospitality of the people at hotels or guesthouses, only to be slightly disappointed not to share that experience- possibly because I can be shy/independent/etc. But from the moment I was greeted at the airport to the moment where I genuinely exchanged goodbye hugs, Malcolm Janet and Linda made me truly feel like a member of the family. They were kind and helpful, without ever being subservient. Despite being a notoriously picky eater, I was raving at Linda's cooking; I even tried- and enjoyed- foods I wouldn't have normally touched! To put it succinctly: I simply cannot imagine better hosts.

Malcom and Linda were also excellent tour guides; I got to see a lot of Johannesburg and some of Pretoria during my stay. I would have seen more, but my camera lens broke mid-day and Janet was obliging to detour so I could eventually buy a new one. I really appreciated their help, as it would have been a huge disappointment to have been unable to take any photos with my best camera for the rest of my trip.

The guesthouse itself is truly a gem; so lovely and comfortable. It didn't hurt that the sky over Ekala happened to greet me with the most lovely rainbow upon my arrival. I am not typically much of a dog person, but the dogs there really made the place feel more homey. I also enjoyed seeing the farm animals, especially the baby lambs. I probably could have enjoyed just spending a day at the guesthouse and relaxing if I'd had the time.

If you are reading this review, you are most likely considering staying at Ekala. Do it- you won't be disappointed! If I ever return to Johannesburg, I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Truly the best B&B we stayed in during our world tour. Warm and relaxing welcome. The rooms are tastefully decorated, the breakfasts and meals varied and very tasty. Thanks to Janet, Claire and Malcolm for their help and information about the country. Nothing more to say it was perfect!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

What a wonderful find in Joberg! We could not have been more delighted. From the pick-up at the airport to our departure, everthing was perfect. The Farm was spotless, cozy, and welcoming. Linda's excellent chef skills were like the cherry on the sundae. Wholesome, organic, and well prepared, she attended to our specific dietary needs and exceeded out expectations. We would fly back there for my husband to have more of her home made vanilla ice cream. Superb!! Janet spent two and a-half days with us touring Pelanisberg in their private car...Knowledgeable of animal locations, coupled with her eagle eye, we saw everything there was to see except for a leopard. Perfect!! Malcolm showed us the city and all of its sites. Leo was helpful with his technical skills. Linda transferred our digital pics to a disk for safety sake. We highly recommend this utopia to anyone who enjoys perfection!! Thanks to all!!

Room Tip: The Ekala Guest Farm is quiet and private. We had the guinea hen room with private bath. The room...