“very helpful and great location”

Orizontes Hotel & Villas
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Pyrgos
Reviewed July 15, 2012

the staff here was superlatively helpful. food was good, and although not on the shore. the location is still centrally located with sweeping hilltop views. Wifi a little spotty but functional. Leonides the nightime host was the kindest, most helpful person you could meet. the arranged a late check out for me, and also had a scooter right to my door. can't ask for a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is a strange mixture of good and bad. The location provides for wonderful views around the island but it is built immediately adjacent to a small but busy road which is very noisy, even late into the night and from early in the morning because it serves the large village/small town of Pyrgos. Most of the rooms appear to face onto the road and as they are only on the first and second floor, are very close to it. When you arrive in the reception, you get the impression of quite a nice hotel due to the furnishings and reasonable decoration. Walking out to the pool makes you feel like you have arrived in quite a special place as it has a generally luxurious feel and stunning views of the island and caldera. However, entering the room that was provided was a massive disappointment. We were expecting a decent sized room with double bed and although we hadn't specified a particular room type as it was booked for us by the local host of the meeting we were attending, we were surprised to find two single beds pushed together in a very small room with a tiny bathroom and shower. The room furnishings were unattractive and outdated. The room opened onto a small balcony which was right next to the road as we were on the first floor.

We immediately asked if it would be possible to move to a larger room away from the road and made it clear that we didn't mind paying extra. We were told that the money wasn’t an issue but there were unfortunately no rooms available, yet the hotel was deadly quiet. We arrived at breakfast time and there wasn't even anyone having breakfast. I was immediately suspicious about this and did mention that the hotel seemed empty but was told that they were expecting a lot of arrivals. Miraculously, about 30 minutes later, the receptionist called to say he had found another room. I went to look at it as my partner was asleep due to travelling overnight. I was very pleased as it was a suite with a separate living room and with a quiet bedroom with double bed. The balcony off the bedroom overlooked the pool so it was away from the road and the views were stunning. I said that we definitely wanted to move and agreed to pay the extra (48 EUR) per night. However, I agreed with the receptionist that we would move a bit later when my partner woke up. This was no problem – according to the receptionist we could move whenever we liked.

Having secured a nice room and feeling very relaxed, I headed for the pool. About an hour later, I looked up to see some other people being shown the room that we had been promised. I immediately headed to reception to ask what was going on and was told that they had made a mistake - the room should have been blocked. The receptionist said that he tried to find me to inform me but didn't want to knock on the door in case of waking us. This was a blatant lie as he knew I was by the pool because I borrowed a towel. As there were only two other people by the pool, it wouldn't have been very difficult to find me. The man who I later realised is the hotel manager (though you wouldn't think it by his sloppy appearance) appeared and said he was sorry, it was his fault and made some excuse about people who had stayed 3 years ago (or for the last 3 years - I couldn't understand his English) coming back and that he should have blocked the room for them. Then I was told by the receptionist that they had an identical room next door and I was given the key to take a look. The room was not identical - it was much smaller, did not have the stunning views of the other one and was not quiet as the road traffic could be heard. I was really upset about this and said that it was not the same. Then I was offered an alternative but this was facing onto the road and had a view of a half built building next door. The fact that I was immediately offered two other rooms begs the question why I had been told that there were no other rooms available only 2 hours before. Very strange behaviour and extremely poor management. I felt really upset and let down and this blighted the rest of our stay. We did however move to the room next to the original one offered as it was a lot better than what we had. I asked whether it would be the same price as the original one offered and was told it was, even though it was not of the same standard.

A few other points:
1. The hotel is meant to be 4 star but it is more like 3 star. It is vastly overpriced. I've stayed in far more luxurious hotels (in Europe) for half the price.

2. All the bathrooms are the same in all the rooms I looked at. They are tiny with tiny showers. Our’s had no towel rail - where are you supposed to hang your wet towels? If you put them on the balcony, the wind will blow them onto the floor. There is a tissue holder containing no tissues and a disposal bag holder containing no disposal bags. The shower in our room was broken (it would not stay in place and kept drooping so the only way to rinse yourself was by holding it telephone style).

3. The living room is larger than the bedroom and is a complete waste of space. It has a sick coloured plastic covered sofa in it with 3 garishly bright cushions on it and above is a really vile painting. The sofa faces an old television high up on an arm near the ceiling but it is not plugged in and the cable is tied up so one assumes it should not be used. It is immediately below an AC unit which appears not to work at all and has dripped all over the television screen. There is a television in the bedroom so why don’t they get rid of the old one?

4. The AC in the small bedroom is located so close to the bed that the person on that side of the bed gets cold air blown directly onto them. When you turn the AC on, a bright light comes on with it and lights up the whole room. It takes some time to work out how to turn off the light in the middle of the night when you’re tired and you don’t want to turn on the main lights.

5. The bed is very firm (too firm in my opinion) and of poor quality as evidenced by the fact that when my partner turned over, my side of the bed bounced – that should not happen with a good quality mattress. The bed cover is made of a vile, shiny, orange material. There is a strange stripy canopy above the bed which I suppose is meant to make it feel like a boudoir, but it just makes the room seem even smaller and made me feel claustrophobic. We also had to tuck the material up over the rail at the headboard end as it kept on touching our faces in the night – very annoying and pointless.

6. The furniture is really cheap and tacky. It is also badly placed (eg, it is not possible to open the wardrobe in the bedroom properly because the desk gets in the way). There is a very odd light as you walk into the room by the door but it is not plugged in and to plug it in, you have to have the lead trailing across the door (it’s not even long enough to trail on the floor) or across the entrance to the bedroom.

7. I initially used the old wardrobe in the living room but found a layer of white dust on the rail which got onto some clothes, so I moved them into the wardrobe in the bedroom. In the old wardrobe there’s a safety desposit box which doesn’t work.

8. The fridge was so noisy that we had to unplug it at night. Oh and it’s just an empty fridge, not a mini bar as claimed on the website and in the hotel literature.

9. There is a decent sixed balcony but unfortunately the views are largely blocked by the other side of the building and there is a room immediately opposite which means no privacy (though it appeared empty for all four nights we were there – yet another empty room when they said none were available).

In conclusion, don’t be fooled by the website as the pictures of the rooms are misleading. The friendly receptionist is not to be trusted. The manager is also not to be trusted and having made it clear I wasn’t happy about what happened over the room promised to me, he was quite unpleasant to me afterwards, especially after I told him about the broken shower, noisy fridge and a missing light bulb (the latter which was changed the next day). He also could be taken for the handyman as he strolls around in jeans and either T-shirts so he can flaunt his tattooed arms or a shirt hanging out – and nearly always with a lit cigarette in his hand. This is not what one expects of a manager of a 4 star hotel.

The literature they provide you with about the hotel is a joke. It says "The moments you will experience in our hotel seem as if they have appear from a fairytale" (sic)!! It claims to be a "luxury complex" with "luxury rooms and suites" and "Luxurious Rooms with Majestic Sea View" (sic). Compared with the crumbling charm of the Grand Hotel in Tartus, Syria, the Orizontes is luxurious, but not compared with most 4 star European hotels (and even more luxurious 3 star ones). It is such a pity as it has great potential. One could forgive many of the failings listed in this review if it wasn’t for the poor management, poor service received on this occasion and bad feeling received from the manager. Of course, the economic situation in Greece might have had an impact on work that needs to be done (repairs, updates, redecoration etc.) but with the prices they are charging should not make this an issue, that is if they are selling rooms, which during our stay they evidently were not as the hotel was nowhere near full.

On the positive side, the rooms were quite clean (except for the dust in the wardrobe) and the chamber maid was very polite and helpful. Also, the woman who seems to run around doing everything other than cleaning is very helpful and friendly. There is a night duty man who is very sweet, helpful and genuine.

Santorini is an amazing island and I hope to return one day. However, I definitely won’t be staying at the Orizontes again and would not recommend it to anyone else. A pity as it is in such a great location for those that don’t want to be in town and on the whole is a relatively quiet hotel apart from the road.

Room Tip: Most rooms face onto the road which although small is very busy and noisy as it serves the town of P...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank auir50
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed at the Orizontes as part of a Greek Island vacation in September 2011. First of all don't judge a book by it's cover, because though it may not look like much from the outside, it is beautiful once you step inside. The staff was friendly and helpful, our room was beautiful with a private balcony and very, very clean. The breakfast was tasty, with a very wide variety of choices. Though the hotel is off the beaten path it sits in a very nice area on top of a hill with some of the best restaurants I've ever been to on Santorini. It is just a bus ride to Fira Town and the Black Beach.

If you like 'off the beaten path', 'quiet & classy', the Orizontes is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hroe1
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We stayed here for 2 weeks in June 2012, and for the first week we were the only couple in the whole hotel!!!!

We stayed in Room 211, which had amazing views out over the pool area, Pyrgos and the surrounding areas from our balcony, However the rooms themselves are not of the 4-star standard we would expect in the UK, so be aware of this when you choose your room type as we had a Superior Room and the fixture and facilities were more of a 3-star standard.

The staff are very friendly and helpful- Leo and Vassillis, Thank You!!!! On arrival Leo gave us a map and talked us through the trips and places to visit.

The hotel itself is in a lovely area with easy access to Pyrgos village, Fira and Athinios Port for daytrips. 10e in a taxi gets you over to Fira, which is the capital of the island which is lovely to walk around, go shopping and have a meal in. Pyrgos village is a 10 mainute walk from the hotel, which is a lovely little place with a few bars and restaurants (of which Selenes is the best).

The pool area is clean and has comfortable sunbeds with umbrellas.......in July and August this would be a blessing because June was SCORCHING!!!!

I would recommend this hotel as a base from which to explore Santorini because it is virtually in the middle of the island and you can get to anywhere (we did!!).

Room Tip: Be aware that the rooms are more of a 3-star standard
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had an amazing time during our stay at Orizontes. Leounidas, Alex, and Marina on staff were super friendly and very helpful. All the places Leounidas told us to check out were great and he made sure we had the right transportation to get there. The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to explore the whole island as it is central to all the major beaches, landmarks, airports etc. I highly recommend staying at the Orizontes if you ever visit Santorini.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed March 21, 2012

this hotel definitely has gorgeous views. we stayed with our wedding party and pretty much had the whole hotel to ourselves. as we got married there, we were upgraded to have a room with a private pool which was very nice. the staff is accommodating and nice. the rooms are ok, maybe 3 stars not 4, but they are clean. the pool is beautiful. perfect location for santo winery wedding and pyrgos restaurant reception. all walking distance.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GlobalCitizenM
Reviewed January 21, 2012

fantastic place! i stayed at the hotel in August 2011, the service was god, the hotel was clean and the room i stayed was a nice superior with a nice view of the Caldera, were as my children stayed in a Maisonette which was also very comfortable!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Mark J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pyrgos
Petit Palace Suites Hotel
#18 of 75 in Kamari
Villa Manos
Villa Manos
#1 of 15 in Karteradhos

Been to Orizontes Hotel & Villas? Share your experiences!