“Luxury accomodations with excellent service and romantic setting.”

Carpe Diem Suites & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Pyrgos
Atlanta, Georgia
“Luxury accomodations with excellent service and romantic setting.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

We loved our stay at the Carpe Diem! We felt like we were the only ones there - although there are only 10 rooms. Each room is very spacious with full dressing rooms included. It felt like a second honeymoon for us and we enjoyed being away from the crowds in Fira and Oia. Jason, the hotel manager was very accommodating and made our stay the best it could be. The ride to Oia for dinner is about 30min/20 euro, so we recommend renting a car so that you can come and go when you please. We would definitely go back and recommend to all our friends!

2 Thank Georgia_Bunny

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2009

My husband and I spent two weeks holiday in the Carpe Diem Hotel. The hotel is not cheap! However, we would recommend it for special occasions and if you need to thoroughly relax and unwind. Rooms are all suites, very spacious and luxurious. Each room has a private balcony and plunge pool meaning that there is often no need to travel far. The views from our balcony over to Fira and Ia were superb. Breakfast is brought to your room-fantastic. Staff were efficient and friendly. There is a restaurant but we either went out elsewhere on the island or went to the many great restaurants in Pyrgos (especially Maria and Georgio's restaurant with the blue roof at the carpark on entering the village). Pyrgos is a traditional and very beautiful hill village so you have a feel for what Santorini was like pre-tourism. Be aware that there is a steep downhill drive to the hotel so if you go out you do have a steep walk! We would thoroughly recommend the hotel for a special occasion or for a shorter stay anytime.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2009

Carpe Diem is paradise beyond the private gate if you relish in luxury and seclusion. We booked thru Jason (Manager) and SLH and spent a total of three nights. The level of service and constant willingness of the staff to please puts Carpe Diem in an upper echelon of boutique hotels worldwide.

The location is somewhat off the beaten path located below a very traditional village of Pyrgos (which is DEFINITELY worth an early evening visit--much easier to get a relaxing sunset view than in the crowded stairwells of Oia).

Upon arrival we were greeted by Jason in front of the crystal clear hotel pool (which it's ashame no one seems to use it because the private patio pools and sun decks are so amazing). We were provided with a welcome glass of champagne as Jason proceeded to sit down with us and personally walk us thru a map of the island pointing out certain areas of interest (beaches, best sunsets, etc.) and providing advice on ways to best explore Santorini.

It seemed as if there were more than 10 units but either way the grounds are extremely quiet (which is VERY peaceful if you are truly looking to relax) and well maintained. As others have mentioned, it is located somewhat off the beaten path and if you're looking to be in the thick of a city or right on the Caldera it is not. However, both night and day, it does have, what we felt, was a very nice view of the majority of the island. Both Fira and Oia can be seen from anywhere on the grounds. The other review that mentioned that it realy is not a hotel but a series of luxury suites on the hillside perfectly defined this which is part of what provides the solitude. Rooms, as mentioned in other reviews, are very large with plenty of room to spread out. They are built into the hill and feel like being in a cave.

Although we only had time for one visit to the spa, it was very nice and an added plus is they allow for private use of the facility for 60 minutes following the completion of your treatment(s).

We would stay at Carpe Diem again and felt it provided a truly personal and very relaxing way to experience Santorini.

Santorini:
Have to see Fira and catch the sunset in Oia. Visit Red Beach and Vlyhada. We only saw Perivolos via Taxi on the return to Pyrgos but it looked to be a very calm water beach with a little more activity that Vlyhada Beach and would definitely be worth visiting. Sunset from Pyrgos. Road to the lighthouse out towards Faros is a create view of the caldera.

scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

We celebrated our silver wedding at Carpe Diem and I have to say that we had the most fantastic time. The hotel is gorgeous, it overlooks a good chunk of Santorini and does have striking views across the island. It is a bit more inland than some hotels but I preferred this to some of the alternatives in Thira and Oia which, whilst perhaps offering better views of the caldera, are noisier, busier, perched on a clifftop with little privacy from photo snapping tourists. Carpe Diem is a short ( but very steep) hike from the summit of the pretty town of Pyrgos where the views of the sunset are stunning, especially from Franco's bar. You do need a car to access this hotel and one of the definite advantages is that you can park it right outside the hotel. (Some other hotels require a major trek or donkey ride through very narrow streets to reach them). The car offered us great freedom to explore the island at our leisure and we enjoyed this very much although some of the cliff side roads are frankly terrifying with narrow hairpin bends and no crash barriers. I am particularly thinking about the drive from Thira to Oia here, although there is a much less stressful coastal road too which for me was the definite preferable alternative.

The accomodation consists of just ten suites, each with it's own small pool. Our suite was absolutely perfect. Elegant and simple, absolutely huge, and immaculate. The things I most enjoyed were the enormous comfy bed and the private dining area within the suite which enabled us to dine inside if we wanted to. When we visited in September, it was, at times, a bit too chilly and breezy in the evening to dine outside. The bathroom was spacious with a huge circular bath/shower, additional walk in shower and double sinks.

The first thing that struck me about Carpe Diem was how relaxed and peaceful it is. I know that this will not be everyone's cup of tea, but for me, the silence was a real treat. I absolutely loved breakfast which is served in your suite when you want it ( yes even at lunch time). The breakfast consisted of a large selection of fresh warm breads/croissants,cakes, fruit, greek yogurt, meat, cheese and salad platter , fresh juice and coffee/ tea with other dishes such as eggs on request. there was not one day when we managed to finish all the food and it was a struggle to leave any because it was so delicious. We also sampled other meals which were all of a very high standard although quite expensive and from a limited menu.

The best thing of all was the service of Jason and his staff, attentive but not intrusive. Yes there were small issues to be resolved and if you have a keen eye for detail these might even annoy you. Nothing was too much bother, any small problems were resolved quickly and without fuss. Jason bent over backwards to make our celebration special with extra treats such as champagne ( Moet not fizzy plonk). The service was very personal and I feel that this above all else is the major strength of Carpe Diem.

With regard to the question of "value for money" If you are used to staying in five star luxury elsewhere in the world, then the simplicity of this place might be a bit of a surprise. It is certainly not cheap. We were happy to splash out a bit because we were celebrating a big event and it totally stacked up for us in terms of value for money. We found Santorini to be an expensive destination even outwith the hotel.

In terms of Santorini, what a stunning, unique island. We loved the caldera cuise and will never forget hiking to the volcano crater. I would have liked to visit ancient Thera but could not muster the courage to drive ( or be a passenger) up the incredibly steep road ( more hairpin bends and steep drops) to reach it. Oia is lovely and Thira a little crazy. My favourite place was Pyrgos - charming and authentic and for that, this hotel is ideally located. I would recommend Carpe Diem to those seeking a trully relaxing experience, out of the way in stunning surroundings. Hopefully someday I will be fortunate enough to return.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

Carpe Diem is a relatively new property, and that is its great strength (the rooms and hotel grounds are immaculate), and its main weakness. At least when we stayed there in July, there were plenty of small problems to be ironed out. Up front I will say this: I brought these to the attention of the manager and Jason, the lovely Concierge/day manager/receptionist/do-everything-guy, and things improved considerably after that. I'll list a few things that were problems, but I hope they remained fixed and it sounds from later reviews as though they may have. The hotel also made it up to us with a dinner in another (lovely) property, which was much appreciated. However it must be said that (especially staying in the bigger suite) this is a very expensive hotel, so it should be held to very high standards. We stayed in absolute paradise in the Maldives earlier in the year, and even flying around the world, it was actually *cheaper* to go to the Maldives, and the service and facilities there were of a way higher standard. Anyway...

In many ways, Carpe Diem isn't really a hotel - more of a series of luxurious rooms with a small reception area by the pool. The buildings and main pool are lovely (though there's not much in the way of stuff to explore once you've walked around it once!). There was very little social life in the main pool area, which is a shame - one goes to a hotel like this for peace & quiet, but they could have made more of the public spaces. (Having one of the two sets of tables and chairs right over a speaker blasting out music wasn't very conducive to restful contemplation of the scenery!). The owner (I think) seemed to use the reception area while negotiating deals with his suppliers, which gave a frankly bad atmosphere to the place.

The rooms themselves are spacious and well maintained, and the terrace & plunge pool are fabulous. It needs tea and coffee making facilities in the room (though apparently this is a very English request!). The room cleaning & servicing left a lot to be desired (surfaces not cleaned, soap wrappers left begind, glasses & candles and even towels not replaced, etc.), but as noted above, this did improve after I raised it with the manager. The maid wasn't exactly friendly to us after that though!

The location.... hmmmmmm. Lots of the people staying there had the same reaction, at first. It's basically on a hillside overlooking the whole island, but with a particularly nice view of the airport(!), and I have to admit my first reaction was "oh God - what have I done?!". Then you realise that you can actually see the caldera (a long way away), and the sunset... and in a way you do sort of warm to the place. Pyrgos, the little village above Carpe Diem, is really delightful. But... we spent most evenings taking the 30 minute (and generally terrifying) taxi ride to Oia, and in the end I think I'd rather stay there next time.

The service at the hotel was pretty Fawlty Towers at times, too. Jason was great and worked very hard indeed, but the place is understaffed and he just has too much to cope with. Stuff gets forgotten (we never received our complimentary fruit and wine, courses of meals were regularly missed off, salt and pepper not provided...) not earth shattering stuff, but you do get a bit tired and almost embarassed having to keep calling the one person on duty to bug him for stuff - it's a hassle and stress that you don't need on holiday.

The hotel also had real problems with the electricity supply - not their fault perhaps, but being told we couldn't have anything to eat more than once because the kitchen was dark got a bit old. (I lost weight though!). As I said to the manager... if you know the power is dodgy, shouldn't you have some kind of backup? A torch, maybe, so you can go find some nuts or a salad for your hungry guests? For the price, one expects some thought to go into things, as well as investment. (Oh the power issue meant the wireless internet didn't really work either, which was actually a big issue for me).

On the positive side, we did enjoy our week here, we appreciated the response of the hotel manager as well as Jason when we raised the issues above, and they were absolutely outstanding on my birthday - I was drowning in complimentary champagne and the biggest, most delicious chocolate cake I've ever eaten.

Would we go back? I'd probably stay somewhere a bit more central... or if I wanted splendid isolation, go somewhere like the Maldives where you *really* get that. But if you go with your eyes open, and if they keep upgrading their service, this is still a lovely place and I'm grateful for a very enjoyable week. As a photographer (and I'll add a few shots to the site here), I especially loved it.... and do go on the Caldera cruise, by the way. Not cheap, but really relaxing and by the end of it, you finally feel you've seen the place properly!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
milazzo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

Unfortunately I booked this hotel just looking its photos on their website, but reality is totally different from what it looks like in photos. First of all you need to hire a car to reach the hotel and the small signs really do not help. Hotel (do you really think it is?) has not a reception, and just Mr Jason speaks English. The hotel is overpriced and overestimated. Breakfast is continental and at the price you pay you should get really more. Not one of hygienic rules of the EEC are followed and all pools presented in their photos are really small and useless. All bathrooms in hotel are made of concrete like your bed and my dayghter was forced to sleep (third bed) in a concrete bed without any comfort . The view is not really exciting, in front you will recognize a cave where are working during daytime and on your right you see the airport. All terraces are too low and dangerous for children. If you want to take a shower in the morning remember to clean the concrete bathroom from spiders, ants and sometimes small lizards. If you pay more than 500 euros you should expect really a better service and situation. I think is a real shame to pay an enormous amount of money for a hotel that usually in all the world could be classified for three stars (not restaurant) and at the normal price of 160 euros per night instead of 500 and more they ask for.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank juaninwasp
athina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

This is great hotel, friendly service and relaxing athmosphere.This is my 2nd time in santorini,when i come again for sure we will stay again here, santorini is magic island.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pyrgos
Cavo Bianco
Cavo Bianco
#4 of 77 in Kamari
Katikies Hotel
Katikies Hotel
#8 of 54 in Oia
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Zannos Melathron Hotel
Santorini Princess
Santorini Princess
#7 of 48 in Imerovigli

Been to Carpe Diem Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!