“A haven of peace and tranquility in a stunning location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calzolaro
La Preghiera Country House Residenza D'Epoca
Ranked #1 of 1 Calzolaro B&B and Inns
berkshire
“A haven of peace and tranquility in a stunning location”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Having endured the commercialsm of other resorts in Italy, it was an absolute pleasure to arrive at La Preghiera. I have never been to a more tastefully developed and furnished hotel. Standing in its own grounds it exudes a wonderful sense of rural tranquility and peace. The owners and staff work tremendously hard to ensure that every need is met and there is absolutely no need to move away from the hotel if you are only seeking rest and recuperation. A top-notch holiday destination if ever there was one and a place to revisit time and time again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
UK
Reviewed September 30, 2009

La Preghiera was a very special place for me this year.
It was a haven providing a week of much need rest and recuperation (after my leaving a job of 8 years that I loved but which had exhausted me). My stay with you marked the start of a year of freedom, learning, travel and music (shortly to end!).
And I look back with immense pleasure and very fond memories of the beautiful place that you created with such sensitivity, skill and passion. I'm sure you'll do the same wherever you go.

Very best wishes
E.R

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire
Reviewed August 6, 2009

Rob and I enjoyed the most wonderful wedding at La Preghiera. 30 guests joined us for our wedding in the chapel and most of our guests stayed at John and Liliana's stunning home for 3 days. The owners and their staff could not do enough for us and the standard of the catering and services for the wedding was impecable - full of local Umbrian tradition. We will never forget our special celebration there and would recommend this venue to any of our family or friends. In fact we all can't wait to go back to taste the homemade jams, breathe in the scents of lavender and rosemary and enjoy the relaxed setting of this most special place.

• Stayed July 2009
Manchester
Reviewed July 3, 2009

During our recent trip to Umbria we found of the owners of La Preghiera to be intrusive, insulting, patronising and extremely unprofessional throughout our stay. Although we booked exclusivity of the villa John and Lilliano's presence was apparant everyday from breakfast time to late at night. The constant monitoring, both in person and via CCTV became unsettling and unnerving ( not very conducive to a holiday) and we were made to feel very uncomfortable. Maybe John and Lillano need to identify and clarify the type of business they are running or at least ensure that the customer needs and expectations are met in terms of the kind service they are trying to provide. Inviting people into your home and making them feel so unwelcome may prove costly as we certaintly wouldn't recommend La Preghiera to any of our family and friends. However, i would highly recommend the Umbrian countryside and the local people were extremely friendly.

4 Thank DMLowe
London
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Having read some of the below reviews (after having booked our stay) it was with some in trepidation that we met John and Lilliana on arrival at La Pregiera a few weeks back. However we need not have worried in the slightest. We found them to be extremely polite and helpful and in no way at all unwelcoming. Yes you are asked not to wear high heals on the floor boards but we never found this to be a problem as it is not the sort of place you go for glitz and glamour (head to the Amalfi coast in July for this!). We are a young couple in our early thirty’s but there were also other clients about (older than us) who felt La Preghiera also offered the perfect retreat. I was involved in the luxury travel industry for quite sometime and stayed at many top hotels so it is not with naivety that I write this (in fact I have never written any report like this but I felt I had to write a balanced account having read the last reports). All in all La Preheria is a great luxury guest house; if you are looking for a holiday where you feel like you have been staying with friends and not as tourist, this is the place for you (don’t go if you like all the services of a 200+ room hotel). Of course it will be slightly different if you are looking to take the whole house but we did enquired about this and it was very clearly explained that John and Liliana do live on sight however they have their corner so I could not see this being a problem (in fact it would be great to have them around as their knowledge of the area is very extensive).

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelx2009
manchester
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My parents celebrate their golden wedding anniversary this year and thought that it would be lovely to spend it with family in an area of italy that they love going to, Umbria. After a long week of searching villas they came across what they thought was the ideal location for such a special event, La prehieria in Umbria owned by John and Lilliana.
We arrived on Easter weekend to a fantastic welcome with peach bellinis on the terrace. The scenery and villa were stunning,we looked forward to a lovely week.
However that was not to be as the entire week we felt like we were being spied on.
The house guidelines that you find in your room give a glimpse into what was to come.
1. no footwear or luggage on the bedcovers please
2.For consideration wards other guests, please remove high heels and hard shoes and use the slippers we provide for use in your room.
3.Dress code- smart casual on the terrace inside La Preghiera
Swimwear - only in the swimming pool area.
John & Lilliana never let you forget that you are staying in their home.
During our stay we were made to feel very uncomfortable and on the last day things came to a head. In the morning my father, who is a retired company director, was accosted by John who spoke to him as though he was a complete simpleton and far away from Johns' social bracket. All our family respect our father as head of our household and would never dream of being so rude. All this because one of my nieces' had inadvertantly left a bedcover on a chair outside. John had the temerity to tell my father to speak to his grandchild about her behaviour as though she were 2 not 20 years old!
Later that day John entered the villa without speaking to any of us and walked right past us with a couple he was showing around. He did not have the manners to ask if this was ok. He attempted to look into my parents room but was challenged my my niece. He then embarrassed myself and daughter who were getting ready to go out and were in a state of undress.
In the evening John came over to the villa to the office and I spoke to him and explained that I was most upset about the afternoons events and how embarrassed I was. He said that what did it matter as we were leaving in the morning. This made me very angry and I confroneted him about the way he disrespected my father. I was then followed into the lounge where other members of the family were.
john then proceeded to perform a character assasination of our family.
He stated that we had arrived mob handed in his home and stomped through it, yes his words. We were told off for lounging around on the furniture and leaving glasses (which we were using) on the tables. John said that we had completely ignored his advice on how to travel to the villa, although why that was any of his business I do not know.
In essence he was very rude and made lots of personel remarks about our family who had just paid him a lot of money to stay in HIS HOME!
Will John ever apologise for his rudeness???? Will we ever go back???? I think not!

2 Thank jckcap
cheshire
Reviewed May 27, 2009

Myself and my family stayed at this fabulous villa. The location is great, the locals friendly and the local food and wine excellent.
However John and Lilliana ensured our stay was an uncomfortable one to say the least.
I have so many examples I could discuss here in respect of this couples rude behaviour. I dont know where to begin.
My Father in law booked the villa on the understanding we had exclusive use. One day John was showing prospective guest around, even venturing into bedrooms that my young daughters and nieces were in, On of whom was in a state of undress. When John was asked not to go into the bedrooms ( Due to the above) he was dismissive and haughty.
After many many incidents of this type some of the family members attempted to discuss with John how uncomforatble they were feeling. John, In my opinion became unprofessional resorting to childish insults.
I will most certainly return to Umbria. I wont be paying a call in to see John and Lilliana.
John and Lilliana have a stunning villa, However they should not rent this out to anyone who is not prepared to sit on the edge of a seat with hands firmly beneath them breathing in a shallow manner.

1 Thank llowe

Been to La Preghiera Country House Residenza D'Epoca? Share your experiences!