“What a disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caersws
somerset,england
“What a disappointment”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I had reserved two rooms for my mother and myself. I requested a renovated room in the Coach House for my mother and one in the main building for myself.
My mother's room (room 15) was a disgrace. Tiny and if it had been renovated then it is not a renovation to be proud of. The only chair to sit on was so low she would never have been able to stand up again. The furniture was old and nothing to get excited about. The bathroom was at least clean and fresh.
My roon (room 8) had stains on the carpet, was so small i don't think two people would have been able to move in the room together and with a stained bath tub and no shower! The suitcase rack could only be place directly in front of the wardrobe so if you had to unpack into it i do not know how one would have managed. Thankfully we were only staying one night and did not un pack.
The bed was comfortable at least.
At breakfast the waiter (trainee manager perhaps?) asked if i had slept well because most people complain of the noise from staff going into the kitchen below and the room is usually used for starff because of this! Fortunately for me i am deaf so without my hearing aids this was not an issue - if you are not deaf don't accept this room.
We had a light meal in the restaurant - i had a warm chicken caesar salad - described on the menu as containing achovies and parmesan cheese. Although the salad was delicious there was no sight of either ancovies or paremsan cheese - why advertise something that is not followed through?
There is much talk of renovation but we did not see anything to make us think that this is happening.
It must be said that the staff were charming and tried to please (if a little bit silly to tell guests that they are basically in the worse room in the house).
At the prices charges at this hotel there are loads of much better alternatives. Be warned and think twice before making a reservation here.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms 8 or 15 - can't talk about the others as we did not see them
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travellingman64
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback and I am extremely sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations.
I would normally keep my responses brief but I think your comments deserve a full explanation which I hope you will not find too lengthy.
As you may note from our other trip advisor comments we do score generally in the 90's with our guest feedback,however I think we must hold our hands up and say we got it very wrong for you on your recent stay. The room in question is not generally used and my young manager,who you so rightly spotted, has indeed learn't one of life's lessons on discretion.
NOW to explain a little regarding the situation, we had suffered a maintenance issue (or should I say a guest not keeping the shower curtain inside the bath the night before your arrival and we were faced with a double room that could not be used.The result of this is that we had tried earlier in the day to locate alternative accommodation to offer but the area was completely full as there was a number of events happening in the area. For this reason your room was returned to service for the evening and although it is not the best room it does have everything except a shower (the main reason we do not use it).
With regards your Mothers room this has not been refurbished and was one of our older rooms in the grounds of the hotel,as you had requested a room on ground floor level and the main hotel does not have any ground floor rooms.I think my manager who handled your booking had relayed this during your email correspondence.
The Caesar salad should definitely have contained the 2 missing items and as I said at the beginning when you get it wrong it always happens to the same person(no excuse I know).
I have since spoken with our Head Chef to ensure all his team are fully aware of the ingredients of this salad . I am not sure if you raised the missing items with the restaurant staff at the time but we would certainly have tried to put it right immediately if you had.
Finally with regards the hotel renovation,we do our up most to carry out any work outside of our main guest occupation times. In some respects I am glad you saw no evidence of the refurbishment as this is exactly as it should be. Rest assured we are hard at it with the refurbishment and we do welcome showing guest the function rooms and bedrooms we have already completed as is stated in the guest folder letter in each room.
I hope this has gone some way to explain and please do accept our sincere apologies on behalf of all of us at the hotel if you did not enjoy your stay, as you can well imagine we do not wish to send our guests away disappointed.
I would add that I am available at most times and should you wish to speak with me please do not hesitate to contact the hotel

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Friendly staff but let down by over-priced food, a dodgy staircase and dated rooms. Annoyingly, it was particularly noisy until the early hours on a week night and hardly got any sleep. I did complain but no compensation was offered, just an acknowledgement that it was loud - unsatisfactory!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Polizzis_Pal
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff of the hotel.
with regards your noise complaint, it is not possible for me to investigate as your stay is listed as August 2012 which is nearly a year ago. However we must apologise if you felt we did not handle this in a more positive manner it is certainly not the usual way we would deal with a guest comment. The hotel is under going a continuous refurbishment and all rooms should be finished within the next 18 months. The staircase is an original feature of the house and as a listed building we cannot made any alterations to this.
I hope that has been informative.
John garner
Caersws, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

After two days showing our visiting Australian relatives our beautiful Welsh countryside, we needed somewhere to relax and re-charge our batteries before retiring back home. Although we hadn't booked, Maesmawr Hall Hotel did not disappoint. Despite the restaurant being fully booked for residents, the four of us were able to enjoy a bar meal with a mouth-watering menu and attention to details was first class. There was also seating provided out of doors in the beautifully maintained grounds which also looked very welcoming. We had no need of accommodation as 'home' was only a mile away, but I have known Maesmawr Hall very well all my life and would have no hesitation in recommending it for accommodation or food, or both. We saw no sign of the resident ghost on our visit!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments and it is so nice to know that you enjoyed your evening. We look forward to welcoming you again and next time who knows the ghost may show on future occasions.
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were part of a group of six adults and we had booked the three suits that the hotel offer.. Our suite was room 22 in the attic of the main house lovely if you like authenticity and quirky rooms.. The other two suites in the coach house are amazing but one has a downstairs loo if you are not able to cope don't book room 23. We stayed on the weekend break 3 nights B & B with dinner on 2 nights. Food was fantastic and lots of choice, breakfasts were very good and set you up for the day. The staff were hardworking but very friendly and polite and a credit to the management.
If I had any tips for this hotel they would be to make sure there are plenty of coat hangers in wardrobes, that tea and coffee in the room were available and not had to be chased after. The lounge area needs re thinking not enough room for the number of guests.
Saying all that we will be back was a great weekend thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms 23 and 24 are the very best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
I note from your review that you had to ask for tea and coffee supplies in your bedroom and I am sorry if this was the case and somewhat disappointed with my housekeeping department did not re-stock these items which should happen every day as a standard when they service your room and I will be looking in to why this did not happen. I will also review the quantity of hangers supplied in each wardrobe.
The lounge area is quite small and can get very busy,we have looked at possible options and our only real solution is to build a Victorian orangery on our existing restaurant and then convert the restaurant to a further lounge, this however will be in our future development plan when we have finished the refurbishment of the bedrooms.
Thank you so much for your comments they certainly help us maintain our standards and I do hope we can welcome you in the future.
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had excellent service to begin with. Our voltage converter quit working and they offered to fix it and did. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, spacious with an outstanding view of the beautiful garden. The original building was started in the 1500s and the management is working to restore into a very lovely place. They are doing a beautiful job. The linens and bedding js all new as is the bedroom decor. All of us, my husband, daughter and son-in-law wished we could stay and enjoy it longer.

• Stayed June 2013
Hampshire
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night back end of May 2013 as I had a business meeting in Newtown the next day. I had searched local hotels, and this one looked good.

Its at the end of a drive off the main road, and when I stayed, the bluebells were out, so it was very scenic, they also have a little wooded area and it had masses of wild garlic growing in it, which again, the white flowerheads of the garlic were very pretty.

The staff were very attentive, helpful and courteous, the hotel was in very good order for such a very old building, but from reading some of the information about the hotel, its had a lot of money spent on it over the past few years.

Its full of character, low beamed ceilings (remember to duck when you go through the bedroom door), I had I guess a suite, so it had chairs/sofa to lounge on, TV, although the number of channels on the TV were a little limited, free wireless access to the internet.

My only criticism of my particular room was, the two big cast iron radiators were on full, and it was quite warm outside, i managed to turn one off, but the other one, had the turn off missing and you would have needed an adjustable spanner (wrench for you americans reading this) to turn it off, so I opted to open the windows, which did the job, but the rooks/crows obviously like waking up as soon as it gets light, so I was woken at 4am by them cawwing. I live in the country anyway, so this wasnt a novelty to me, although it maybe to some, but just consider packing some earplugs, although they may have left later in the year.

But, all in all, a very pleasant stay and if I have to visit Laura Ashley HQ again, I will be staying here no question.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Canada
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My stay here was absolutely wonderful. The grounds and rooms are beautifully kept - clean and well-maintained. We stayed in the main building and the room was very spacious. But, the service was what stood out the most - it was excellent!. Staff was very attentive to all our needs. And the food, absolutely amazing accompanied by impeccable service. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caersws
Mellington Hall Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,437 reviews
The Old Vicarage
The Old Vicarage
#1 of 16 in Newtown

Been to Maesmawr Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!