“Excellent weekend stay”

Maesmawr Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caersws
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We were part of a group of six adults and we had booked the three suits that the hotel offer.. Our suite was room 22 in the attic of the main house lovely if you like authenticity and quirky rooms.. The other two suites in the coach house are amazing but one has a downstairs loo if you are not able to cope don't book room 23. We stayed on the weekend break 3 nights B & B with dinner on 2 nights. Food was fantastic and lots of choice, breakfasts were very good and set you up for the day. The staff were hardworking but very friendly and polite and a credit to the management.
If I had any tips for this hotel they would be to make sure there are plenty of coat hangers in wardrobes, that tea and coffee in the room were available and not had to be chased after. The lounge area needs re thinking not enough room for the number of guests.
Saying all that we will be back was a great weekend thanks to everyone.

Room Tip: Rooms 23 and 24 are the very best
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay at the hotel.
I note from your review that you had to ask for tea and coffee supplies in your bedroom and I am sorry if this was the case and somewhat disappointed with my housekeeping department did not re-stock these items which should happen every day as a standard when they service your room and I will be looking in to why this did not happen. I will also review the quantity of hangers supplied in each wardrobe.
The lounge area is quite small and can get very busy,we have looked at possible options and our only real solution is to build a Victorian orangery on our existing restaurant and then convert the restaurant to a further lounge, this however will be in our future development plan when we have finished the refurbishment of the bedrooms.
Thank you so much for your comments they certainly help us maintain our standards and I do hope we can welcome you in the future.
Kind regards
John Garner
Managing Director

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had excellent service to begin with. Our voltage converter quit working and they offered to fix it and did. The accommodations were clean, comfortable, spacious with an outstanding view of the beautiful garden. The original building was started in the 1500s and the management is working to restore into a very lovely place. They are doing a beautiful job. The linens and bedding js all new as is the bedroom decor. All of us, my husband, daughter and son-in-law wished we could stay and enjoy it longer.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night back end of May 2013 as I had a business meeting in Newtown the next day. I had searched local hotels, and this one looked good.

Its at the end of a drive off the main road, and when I stayed, the bluebells were out, so it was very scenic, they also have a little wooded area and it had masses of wild garlic growing in it, which again, the white flowerheads of the garlic were very pretty.

The staff were very attentive, helpful and courteous, the hotel was in very good order for such a very old building, but from reading some of the information about the hotel, its had a lot of money spent on it over the past few years.

Its full of character, low beamed ceilings (remember to duck when you go through the bedroom door), I had I guess a suite, so it had chairs/sofa to lounge on, TV, although the number of channels on the TV were a little limited, free wireless access to the internet.

My only criticism of my particular room was, the two big cast iron radiators were on full, and it was quite warm outside, i managed to turn one off, but the other one, had the turn off missing and you would have needed an adjustable spanner (wrench for you americans reading this) to turn it off, so I opted to open the windows, which did the job, but the rooks/crows obviously like waking up as soon as it gets light, so I was woken at 4am by them cawwing. I live in the country anyway, so this wasnt a novelty to me, although it maybe to some, but just consider packing some earplugs, although they may have left later in the year.

But, all in all, a very pleasant stay and if I have to visit Laura Ashley HQ again, I will be staying here no question.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My stay here was absolutely wonderful. The grounds and rooms are beautifully kept - clean and well-maintained. We stayed in the main building and the room was very spacious. But, the service was what stood out the most - it was excellent!. Staff was very attentive to all our needs. And the food, absolutely amazing accompanied by impeccable service. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights and had booked their lowest cost room, unfortunately it was tiny for 2 of us and the dog and showing it's age. The staff had said on the phone that it was small and offered me an executive suite but it was nearly twice the cost. The coach house rooms are due for a big up grade very soon so maybe we'll have to try again.

Staff where very friendly and helpful, but to me, it's quite pricey so very good service should be a given. It's in a great location and nice grounds. They need to sort out access to the river footpath but the dog enjoyed the adventure.

The breakfast was nicely presented and well prepared but I'm not sure how local the ingredients where. I have a thing about restaurants that use straight sausages!!

Room Tip: Go for the recently refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nick B
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Have just come back from the maesmawr hotel restaurant, and had to say how excellent our meal was, i had booked a table for four but one of our guest couldn't make it, but each one of us enjoyed every part of the meal we had, and would highly recommend the restaurant.
The staff polite and courteous, we felt well look after.
I can not wait for my son to visit from the u.s.a so we can show that we too in Wales have a place to go that do excellent food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Maesmawr for three nights and chose a room in the coach house. We were informed before we confirmed that the room we had chosen was dated and small in comparison to rooms in the main building. Having stayed in the room we were pleasantly surprised and mentioned that if that was one of the worst we look forward to staying in one of the others. The Hotel is going through a refurbishment at the moment, but that hasn't affected our stay. The room was clean and comfortable; the Hotel has bags of character; the breakfasts were amazing and we must give special mention to Lee, David and James who were all professional, pleasant, attentive and approachable (and of course the chef who produced some amazing breakfasts). We are sure that the remainder of the staff, who we didn't meet personally, are equally as professional. We will definitely being staying at the Hotel again on future visits to the area. Not only is the Hotel a great place to stay, but it lies in some magnificent countryside.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rog from Stoke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caersws
The Dragon Hotel
#1 of 1 in Welshpool
Metropole Hotel
Metropole Hotel
#1 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells

Been to Maesmawr Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!