Maesmawr Hall Hotel
$90
  • Breakfast included
Plas Dolguog Hotel(Machynlleth)
Priceline
All reviewscoach housemaesmawr hallmain buildingwedding venuebeautiful hotelopen firebridal suitewedding receptionfunction roomfood was amazingset in lovely groundsold buildingbusiness meetingoriginal featuresevening mealwelsh breakfastmini break
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Having just enjoyed our second trip to Maesmawr Hall I would urge anyone wondering where to go for a short break to give this a try. The food and accommodation are superb and nothing is too much trouble.

We last visited in November and now February and these are not very forgiving months but the log fire that greets you in the lounge sets the tone for a very welcoming visit. We were blessed with some very spring-like weather but even if it's freezing, the rooms are toasty and warm and there's endless hot water for lovely baths so it's a win-win situation.

Give it a try, you'll be glad you did and we've now booked for July to enjoy the surrounding countryside in the summer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Mikelsmum

Thank you for your very kind comments with regards your recent stay. It is always lovely for us all at the hotel to receive kind comments such as yours especially, as I am sure you know from your previous visits, that we are trying to bring a very old building which has lacked investment for some 25 years back up to today's expected standards . We look forward to once again welcoming you to the hotel later in the year as the weather warms up.

Kind regards
John Garner
Managing Director

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here with my company recently. The first room I was given was room 1. This was right above the bar and really noisy. It was also very drab and a bit grimey. In need of refurbishment is an understatement.

Later speaking to the manager i was moved to room 20 in the Coach house. A massive improvement. The way I was treated was positive and I was greatful to be moved.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 and go to the coach house if you can.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Kevin G

Firstly thank you for your kind comments regards the staff and service you received during your recent stay.

I do have to agree with you that room 1 is overdue refurbishment and is in fact our next project to complete, having said that while the room appears tired I hope that your description of the room as grimey did not mean you found it unclean but that it felt tired in appearance. The head housekeeper and her team work hard at keeping the rooms looking the best they can and I hope that you found the cleanliness of the room was too a high standard.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope very much to welcome you on future occasions and for you to see our continued refurbishment programme taking shape.

Kind regards
John Garner
Managing Director

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We reviewed this hotel towards the end of last year having had a wonderful week in the place, living in Devon we have not been back since - but most certainly will be. In fact we had a large room in the main hotel for six night, but for our first night the only room that was available was the smallest one in the annex (may well have been 18) - and it was small (but it worked and was adequate) as the last reviewer points out.

When we booked it both Lee and the proprietor John (both superb) were at pains to explain that the room was very small, and thus the budget price - BUT they were very very clear that it was small - and I am certain from my experience, that it is the hotel policy to point out that these rooms are small. I seem to remember hearing that the annex was the last part of the hotel that still needs to be refurbished, and the layout altered, but it is still good - but yes small.

Room Tip: One of the best hotels that we have ever stayed in, if not the best!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jim W
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have just returned from an overnight stay at this hotel at which our only criticism was the extremely crampt size of bedroom number 18 in the annexe. Our double room was appropximately 11ft x 8ft in which there was a 4ft 6in double bed, wardrobe with only four hangers, two bedside cupboards and a chair. The room was clean, the attached en-suite was very spacious. I understand that this room is propably the smallest in the hotel.
Our evening meal was excellent and breakfast offered a very extensive selection all freshly cooked to order.
Staff at all times were very helpful and if the hotel had not been full would most certainly changed our room for a better room
I would recommend this hotel to everybody but please when booking ensure that you do not occupy room 18 because you will be disapointed

Room Tip: Idealy stay in the main house or request room 24
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We spent one night at the hotel between Xmas and New Year. A delightful, warm fire and snug bar. Lovely bright and airy room. Excellent breakfast. Extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating staff and owner. It will certainly be my number 1 choice when returning to the area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple