“A Welsh Gem”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Caersws
Swansea, United Kingdom
“A Welsh Gem”
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Maesmawr Hall is a Welsh gem. From the moment we approached the 16th Century timber framed house in its tranquil setting we were enchanted.
John and his staff made us feel most welcome. Nothing was too much trouble.
We have just returned from a most relaxing short break (3 nights 2 dinners) and we extended our stay an extra night.
We expected to stay in the main house, but when we saw our coach house room WOW! It exceeded our expectations. The room has been refurbished to a very high standard with great attention to detail. It was sheer luxury.
The food was excellent as was the service. We especially enjoyed the Welsh breakfast, and the first class four course dinners. The hotel has a most relaxing atmosphere. The grounds were delightful to stroll around or to just sit in the garden and watch the wildlife.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob-Vaughan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
York, England
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Maesmawr for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We normally stay in 3 or 4* hotels, but we were visiting a family member in Tylwch and this was the nearest hotel.

The service was excellent, the room was lovely, spacious and clean and the location was perfect. The breakfast was one of the best we've ever had, all freshly cooked to order.

Our only complaint was the bathroom, it was too small and looking very tired, BUT, the hotel is undergoing major refurbishment at the moment, so once it is completed I'm sure this will be remedied. Also to be perfectly honest I think the charges are a little high for a 3* considering the condition of the bathroom. We paid £125 a night for what they describe as a "Standard Room + Breakfast". We have paid that for some 5* hotels in the past and even less.

But overall, I would recommend the hotel, it's in a beautiful setting, full of character and the service was excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YorkshireLass67
Maesmawr, Owner at Maesmawr Hall Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your very kind comments posted after your recent stay at Maesmawr Hall with regards your room and the service received at the hotel.
I do hope you will have chance to visit us again as we continue with the refurbishment and will be able to see the improvements to all our rooms over the next 12 to 18 months.
Kind regards

John Garner
Managing Dircetor
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Stayed for just one night inthe annex. Perfect for us, as just a quick overnight whilst in the area and great value with the benefits of the main hall's bar, breakfast and outside seating. For the owner, nothing was too much trouble. We had beer and snacks outside before his brother in law was called in to whisk us into Newtown when taxis were too busy. Breakfast outside in the sunshine was the perfect sartto a Sunday. Would stay here aain without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2011
Newtown, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is my second visit to Maesmawr, it is the hotel chosen by my companies booking agent. Walked in this evening to a roaring fire which really warmed me up. Nice friendly staff who showed me to my room. Second visit and again I get room 5, a room which is yet to be upgraded. Even so, the room was clean, warm and very confortable. Last visit I had a great nights sleep here, and I am looking forward to resting my head again. Dinner was great, and the staff never had any problem with making requested changes to the main menu items. Lovely coffee, and great breakfast. I love this place. It is a place of great tranquility after a hard days work.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank goldguy74
Reading, UK
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I've stayed here twice in 2010 on a business trip (July and October). I stayed in two very different rooms (2 and 10) which were both very comfortable but with very different decor. I loved the genuine leaded windows, food was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. Only serious drawback as a business traveller is the wifi and mobile broadband availability. On my first visit, a farmer had ploughed through their BT cable and there were no phones or wifi. On my second visit free wifi was available but painfully slow and erratic. I tried using my Orange mobile broadband but the signal was appalling and speeds so slow as to be unusable (other operators may be better in this region). Overall a very pleasant stay but if you are travelling on business make sure you've done all your e-working beforehand.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2010

The food is very good and the owners are gradually improving what was a very run-down hotel, but the 'dog-friendly' room I had was freezing, up in the loft and the carpet matted with dog hair which stank. Sometimes they shove you out into the coach-house which is clean but old fashioned.

Recommended if you have passed Llanidloes and don't want to turn round. It is better than anything in Newtown.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank AJD37
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed in room 22 loads of character , huge modern bathroom lovely lounge separate bedroom with a comfy kingsized bed and fantastic views. The hotel is set in beautifull grounds and the owner and staff were very friendly and effiencient.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzyq002
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caersws
The Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 4 in Newtown
The Castle Hotel
The Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Bishops Castle

Been to Maesmawr Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!