“Great stay for valentines weekend!! ”

Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Polmont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

On arrival we were welcomed by the friendly receptionist who was polite,pleasant & very knowledgable. Our room on the top floor was very spacious & clean topped off nicely with the red roses & chocolates!
The pool & spa facilities are great catering for all needs, we especially like the ice sink & warmed beds.
The restaurant gave us a large choice & with it being the "steak club" i expected impressive meat, i was not disappointed. Possibly one of the best steaks i have had!! The price is possibly a bit high but when the food is good & the staff are polite & efficient i don't think there can be any complaints.
We will definitely return here again!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Gueat,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your Valentines Weekend Break. Apologies for not replying sooner.

It is very nice to read your comments, especially since the re-launch of the Scottish Steak Club, We are proud to have been awarded AA rosette for excellence 2013-2014.

All of our steaks and grills are cooked in the josper oven a culinary tradition which began over 40years ago, The grill’s natural coals add flavour, greatly enhancing the food being cooked.

Thank you for commenting on the staff being polite and pleasant, I will certainly be passing on your comments to the team.

We as a team take great pride in our customer service and its beautiful grounds,

Once again thank you for your kind words and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future. If you are planning on visiting again then please do let me know on gm.inchyra@macdonald-hotels.co.uk, and we can look at enhancing your stay in some way.

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed here for a night as a Valentines treat, the hotel itself was nice, room a decent size, clean, the facilities were good (though the drains in the swimming pool did smell a little) and the breakfast was good, however, the staff seriously dampened our spirits during this stay.

Firstly at check in, we knew from our booking confirmation there was a £10 credit on the room for drinks etc but this wasnt mentioned to us. We requested an ice bucket, as a note suggests you can, this didn't arrive. For breakfast we waited at least 5 mins before we were given a menu, 20 before we had to ask for a cup of tea and 45 mins before we had to ask for someone to take our order for a cooked breakfast (eating from the buffet in the meantime). There were a number of people who also had to ask for service while we were there and someone's order didn't appear at all to which they made a complaint. When we checked out they tried to charge us again when our room was prepaid, we had to show them the payment conformation for them to accept this. We also asked about the £10 credit as we did not use it the night before and hoped to have a coffee after a quick swim, we were told it would now be at the discretion of the bar staff! A few minor things after that, no towels in the spa, told someone would bring some in for us, that didn't happen until we asked, and being told not to sit in the cafe as they were setting up for lunch, without being asked if I in fact wanted lunch myself. Didn't want to spend any more money there so left extremely disappointed with the service at what should be far better in a 4 star hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah E
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip advisor in reference to your Valentines treat.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed the facilities overall. The issue with the smell was due to the heavy rain over the weekend, and has now been rectified.

Please accept my apologies if you felt the team didn’t deliver the levels of service expected at the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa. I was certainly disappointed to read your negative comments. Rest assured I have discussed the points in your review with my management team and have asked them to raise the them with the individuals concerned.

Thank you once again for your review: feedback is essential in order for us to continual drive the service forward.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Arrived Fri 14th Feb for an overnight stay before a spa treat on the Saturday. Had emailed the hotel it was a birthday/anniversary treat. On arrival to the room there were chocolates, fruit and roses (well it was Valentines Day). Lovely touch and room was spacious, clean and comfortable and made for a quiet nights sleep.
The spa is also lovely. Spent time in the relaxation room as well as the main spa.
Booked dinner which was lovely but overly expensive (£28 for a steak!). Dessert was £7. Also the drinks are overpriced in our opinion.
Would stay again but the cost of dinner and drinks would make us look elsewhere. Apart from that it is lovely!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us, and the team added a few extras to the room as requested.

In reference to the Scottish Steak Club: We offer the highest quality of ingredients, prepared by our award winning chefs, to ensure we deliver a fantastic meal experience. We use Scot Beef, as well as import directly from Argentina and the USA ensuring we supply some of the finest steaks in the world.

Coupled with our excellent service in a relaxed atmosphere, we believe we offer competitive prices for the products and are on Par with similarly rated hotels in the area. We review our prices on a regular basis and do take onboard all feedback from our guests.

Thank you once again for your comments, and I do hope that you have the opportunity to visit the hotel again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Inchyra is located not far from the ENEOS refinery and docks, both of which are important to my work and so it is convenient for me to stay here as there is little choice in the area.

However, whilst the rooms are nicely decorated, the beds a good size and the gym excellent, the bar/lounge area is absolutely depressing. The cost of the food is completely overpriced for what is essentially a gastro pub. Living in London I am used to paying over the odds, but at £6 for a pint it is more expensive than London.

The service in the restaurant is by a bunch of young people who try their best, but for the prices they charge, the service should be of a far higher standard.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to stay here for a weekend break. It is miles from anywhere of interest, dark and depressing, over priced and one comes away thinking that the staff have an over-inflated opinion of the hotel.

I shall be back in Grangemouth again soon, and I daresay I will have to endure this hotel once again, but if you're on a break and, considering the price - pick somewhere else.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the first/second floors.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BRMB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip advisor. I am sorry that you feel that you have to endure your visits to the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa. As a team we actively encourage feedback and use the feedback to make improvements to the product and services we offer. With this in mind I would very much like to have the opportunity to discuss further your comments.

In particular the bar pricing our pricing for a pint of beer or lager varies from Amstel at £3.95 and Birra Moretti at £5.00 per pint, which is line with similar venues in the area. I am therefore concerned there may have been an error made, as none of the products should be sold at £6.00 per pint.

The hotel is located near to the refinery as mentioned in your review and therefore makes it a convenient location for many of our corporate clients working nearby.

The hotel does have an extensive leisure centre, and award winning spa, which does make the hotel a very popular leisure destination at weekends.

We believe the hotel is ideally located for leisure guests visiting Scotland. We are located in the heart of the Central belt and within easy access of the motorways and train stations. Edinburgh is only a 15 minute train journey and Glasgow 30 minutes, making the Macdonald Inchyra Hotel and Spa an ideal base to visit the cities and the other attractions nearby such as the Safari Park, The Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel, to name but a few.

Thank you again for your review, and as mentioned I would like to take the opportunity to discuss the comments further either on the phone, by email or during your next visit to the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is the fifth time we have stayed at the Inchyra Grange Hotel . We were extremely disappointed with the quality of the food on this occasion and have found that it has increasingly got worse over the last two visits.

The steak house is the only area in the hotel where you can eat dinner which is a vegetarians nightmare! A fridge on full view as you enter the dining room full of ageing meat! Cow skins lying across the floors and walls full of pictures of cows which you are supposed to admire for their aesthetic beauty but are almost the only item to eat on the pub grub menu!

The presentation of the food was poor and the choice for vegetarians was almost nil. I ordered a pumpkin ravioli which arrived only tossed in butter and herbs - not even a sauce, or a garnish to try and improve this pasta which is not homemade (as you would expect from a Hotel of this apparent standing) but bought in from a dry foods company!

My husband had a prawn/avocado starter which arrived in a glass. He found the (what appeared like a drinks glass) impossible to eat from. The food inside the glass was bland, tasteless and the avocado on offer was blended to a pulp and spread thinly around the glass.

A small glass of rose wine was over £6 and my husbands lager( which had been highly recommended by the waitress) was also over £6.

On the positive side the service we received was as usual excellent but the Executive room we were given did not have a bath but a shower. The massage I had in the spa (therapist - Nicola) was excellent and the best I've experienced.

In a Hotel which is graded 4 * there should be a separate dining room which has a varied menu suitable for all hotel guests. This will be the last time we stay at the Inchyra Grange and possibly at a Macdonald Hotel again!

1  Thank Julie C
BrettIngle, General Manager at Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment about Macdonald Inchyra Hotel, it is with some concern I read your comments about your stay with us. We launched our Scottish Steak Club restaurant in 2011 following a £4million refurbishment and have had many fantastic comments about our heritage as a Steak Club with a real focus on Scottish provenance. Whilst the emphasis of our menu is on steak, we of course have vegetarian, fish, lamb and chicken on the menu. We have recently re-launched our Scottish Steak Club menu and have added many new dishes. I will of course be discussing with the team your comments and look to enhance the vegetarian options available in the future.

As you quite rightly highlight we are quite specialised in delivering the best steak experience in the surrounding area and have further enhanced our offer by adding some international steaks to the menu.

We take into account that some of our guests have other requirements and these are also
addressed on our menu with a great deal of success.

I am very sorry to have read of your dissatisfaction, if you could contact me personally, I would be particularly keen to address the issues you had with the food presentation.

We pride ourselves on delighting all of our guests, delivering excellent service, quality and presentation and it is important that we continue to deliver and improve on any issues experienced, which I will personally address with the team. Having recently received an AA rosette for excellent dining your disappointment is certainly something that I would like to discuss further.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

This was a nice experience which could have been so much better. The place is really nice, facilities just right but overall let down by the staff. Firstly the treatment area looks great but staff are quite noisy, not ideal for relaxation. Staff were sorting and folding lots of toilets in small reception area, doesnt give a great impression and could easily be done out of site. My main gripe though is that we were asked what time we'd like our afternoon tea when we arrived (10am), we said 2pm which we were told was no problem. We went out at 2 but after 5-10 minutes were told there would be a delay as the scones werent ready...we'd given them 4 hours notice of when we'd like our afternoon tea! We werent offered any of the other food whilst the scones baked. Eventually we were brought our food at 2.30. So really not ideal, as i said the place is nice but the service, overall, does not match.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

Rather stark hotel exterior gave way to a warm and welcoming reception area. We were greeted by efficient and friendly staff at reception. Room was large and spotless with ensuite bathroom with shower over bath. Since it was a cold wet blustery January afternoon we headed to the spa where we enjoyed both the sauna and steam room before having a swim...all very well presented and looked after. Large pool 20 metres long approx. Water warm and clean. Plenty of loungers for guests and I enjoyed a rest on a heated lounger of which there were two. Pleasant restful interiors in spa with cafe area at entrance.
We attended a company dinner dance in the hotel that evening with around 100 guests from my husbands work. The service was very good, the meal was tasty, fresh and nicely served. We had a fun night in lovely surroundings. In the morning we enjoyed breakfast there was loads to choose from a buffet area followed by a served plated breakfast from which I chose scrambled egg with Scottish smoked salmon... It was beautifully cooked. The service at breakfast was a little slow but the dining room was very busy....staff were hard working and pleasant throughout. I thought it was a great wee break and plan to visit again with family to take in the many attractions round about.

• Stayed: January 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polmont
Airth Castle & Hotel
Leapark Hotel
Leapark Hotel
#3 of 4 in Grangemouth
Travelodge Falkirk Hotel

Been to Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!