Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
The Black Bull Inn Polmont(Polmont)(Great Value!)
$50
  • Bar/Lounge
$55
  • Restaurant
1,772 results
All reviewssteakevening mealtribute nightexecutive roomlovely hotelsteam roomset menusoupleisure facilitiesfood was lovelybirthday treatbed and breakfastovernight stayafternoon teafamily roomfalkirk wheeltreatment
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Had an excellent day using the spa facilities and treatments were great, all appointments were spot on time and the staff were very friendly. All spa areas were very clean and well looked after will consider another pamper day here,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was not a good experience, unless you want to use the Spa I suggest there are plenty of other hotels in the area.

I booked this hotel online and received confirmation, a picture of a typical room and the total price.

On arrival, I was given room 222, this turned out to be in the old Victorian house, which formed part of the hotel. Thinking I could be in for a treat as generally the rooms from this period should be well proportioned. Reality was anything but!

I went past the kitchens up the back stairs to the attic, the windows had mold and the walls water stains. When I complained, all the receptionist could initially do was try and charge me for an upgrade! It did not take to long for a replacement room to be found. The new room was a typical hotel room but was clean and warm.

In the morning they tried to charge me to use a credit card, yet this was not on the booking confirmation. In addition breakfast is £17.50 for a part buffet, I still cannot calculate what could justify the price.

Room Tip: Refuse to accept a room in the 22x range it could be in the attic of the old house.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I booked an overnight for my husband as part of his 50th birthday presents. he had never been before, I had which is why i booked it again. we arrived early, too early to check in, but we were able to use the pool and the sauna before and after our treatments. lovely spa, very relaxing, nice atmosphere. we had drinks in the afternoon, the barman was a wee bit shy I thought, but very mannerly. Dinner was delicious and the champange and cake that I had organised was duly delivered to a very surprised husband. service was very good, in some cases exceptional. Room was very nice, super comfy bed. spotless bathroom. Lovely breakfast, but would have liked a bit of haggis, fruit pudding etc as a choice. My only gripe ( it is only a wee one) i had been told on booking that dinner was included. but was told on the night the table had £50 to spend, anything above that we would have to pay for. overall we both enjoyed our visit very much and I would use the hotel again without hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel looks really nice from the outside, and the public areas are very well appointed. The Spa and pool look really nice, though confess I didn't have the time to use them. The rooms are nice with everything you would expect, the only criticism is it was possibly just a tad on the small side. I however didn't get a room with slippers or robes!!
Had an evening meal in the Restaurant, which was busy and the food was excellent and good value for money. The breakfast was nice too with a really nice selection, though the cooked breakfast is ordered, not the usual hot buffet you expect in a hotel.
The bad experience was checking out! There was a mix up on the booking detail (which was made through an agency) which they said they couldn't check as it had been made electronically.....and ended up getting billed additionally for Breakfast...at £17.50 a day!...Others in the party paid the same room rate with Breakfast included....the receptionist didn't seem bothered to want to resolve the issue. The hotel also added sneakily a £1 for a charity donation and didn't say anything (I really hate that, you feel morally obliged not to say anything and pay it). They also charge an additional admin fee of £3 just to pay by credit card....this is the first time EVER I have had to pay a surcharge in a hotel...beware.
In summary, nice hotel, nice facilities.....spoilt by the experience of checking out!

1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was here for three nights on business. Check-in was efficient, friendly and helpful, despite confusion over the name on the booking (which was not the fault of the hotel).

It's quite easy to get disorientated in this hotel given the bad signage and number of double doors you have to struggle through to get to your room. There may be staff on either side of these doors manoeuvring furniture and they may or may not hold the door for you while struggling with your bags.

The room itself was spacious and comfortable (containing a safe, iron/ironing board, bathrobes and slippers), although the spiders and black mould around the window were a little disconcerting. The bathroom was spotless with good lighting and demisting heated mirror which was a nice touch. Room heating only comes on when you insert your room key into the switch, but it heats up quickly (I was there when there was snow on the ground outside) and it's easily controllable so you can turn the heat down at night to get a decent night's sleep.

Now ... the professionalism of the staff here varies ENORMOUSLY. You have some very young members of staff who seem extremely shy, timid and unsocialised and who may or may not carry out your requests before the year is out. E.g. when a cafetiere of coffee eventually did arrive, it was lacking a wire mesh and therefore any means of filtering so each of us had half an inch of coffee grinds in our cups. Tea/coffee at breakfast or lunch can take upwards of 20 minutes to arrive. By the third morning I was tempted to bring the kettle from my room and prepare tea and coffee myself at the breakfast table.

The food here, in my opinion, is outstanding. The unpredictability and wild variation of the staff members' levels of professionalism is what lets this place down. The younger restaurant/events staff could do with some better training and encouragement by their managers to relax and smile a bit. It's all a bit of a shame really as this place has a lot going for it and it wouldn't take much to polish up their act. I should add however that three or four of the restaurant staff were excellent to give praise where it's due, and all of the reception staff that I dealt with were highly professional. The very young and very shy barmen, however, are a tad inept, not even being familiar with the names of the whiskies that they sell.

Do note that this location is not as rural as it appears -- there is a vast oil refinery right nearby, but there was no smell or noise that I noticed from it (the prevailing SW wind should blow it out to sea). This hotel is also rather remote however, so no shops or cash machines etc. within walking distance. Bring all your required supplies with you as it's a £10 taxi ride to Falkirk.

Room Tip: Even numbers on the first floor (with 2xx numbers) are large with two-seater sofa lounge area and armchair. They are also not overlooked, although there is the motorway a few hundred yards away. This does not disturb sleep though.
1  Thank Jaay-Dee