“Great spa but service could be better!”

Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Polmont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Just returned from a spa day at Inchyra. The spa facilities are great, lovely pool and steam room, but the spa cafe really lets it down! There was only one girl working who was rushed off her feet! There was only one free table as the rest were covered in dirty plates and glasses, it stayed like this for well over an hour! We had lunch at the spa which was fab but we had to get a fitness instructer to get us drinks as the only girl working was nowhere to be seen!
The dinner at the hotel was also really nice if a tad overpriced! Would stay again for a spa day but would like to see more staff as the service really wasn't great which is a shame because the spa itself is lovely!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,723)

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The web page shows a glorious Scottish manor. It fails to show the modern 20th century horror attached or the inglorious surroundings. . . a power station in the field opposite. Even though we'd booked more than a year in advance the room we were given looked like an after thought. . . the window opened onto the air conditioning units above the spa area and the noise of machinery was constant. The hotel is not part of the elegant manor house. That is a reception venue. The staff was friendly enough but for $191.45 dinner B&B this is not value for money. We were very disappointed and felt ripped off.

Room Tip: Don't go there. Falkirk is only 5 miles away, Stirling 10.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank LITTLEWHISKERS
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked a "Luxury Overnight Spa" break for my boyfriend and my 3year anniversary. I wish I hadnt bothered...

The receptionist was friendly enough but "didn't know" when I asked for a quick explaination of what we had access to etc on our stay. Maybe it is just me but isn't reception supposed to be the main hub of information?

The room had a very big bed...that is about all there was nice to say about it. The room was quite tired looking but had been described as "refurbished"....then there was the horrible view onto the tennis court...

Spa time! We went down 15minutes early to book in and fill out forms etc and the guy on reception was as useful as the one we met on the way in, to clarify...not very helpful. When I asked about where to get changed he said that the womens changing rooms were too busy and I should get changed somewhere else like my room. I did not fancy going two floors up to walk back down in my bathing suit so asked if my partner could take my things after I got changed in the womens changing area...a sholder shrug was his response. By the time this conversation finished there was 3minutes until our treatments were to start, and the gentleman walked us to the spa...we were still fully clothed. I thought we must get changed through in the spa area. No.
We were then handed over to a therapist in the spa area, who also didn't mention about getting changed. She escorted us to the, what she called, "relaxation room", now known as "the-most-unrelaxting-place-I-have-ever-been-in-my-life-room"! Once in we settled down into a couple of seats and the girl comes back in and decides now would be a great time to clean and organise all the glasses and glass bottles on the glass table while making as much noise as she possibly could. BANG! BANG! CLANG! CLANG! is all i heard for 10minutes...and if it wasn't that it was SLAM! SLAM! as she went in and out the room what felt like a good 100 times. So now I was really annoyed and VERY VERY unrelaxed.

We then got taken to treatment rooms by two different therapists. I opted for a facial. Again no mention of getting changed until I asked. She said I should have got changed before I was in...I then said well I have up until now not been told when or where the changing rooms are to get changed. She replied by saying "she doesn't know what gets told at the spa reception"...

*thump head off wall* SHE IS A THERAPIST IN THE SPA!!! She should know!!!!

I had my facial done in my jeans, it wasn't relaxing, and just as I start to think it couldn't have gotten any worse...all i hear is shouting and screaming coming from outside the treatment room. The therapist says "I do hate that the corridoor is so noisy". At this point I had lost the will to live. Common sense was clearly lacking in this hotel and I had now come to terms with this.

After the treatments we went back to our room, got changed and thought 2nd time lucky lets hit the pool. The pool was great, quite busy but quieter and more relaxing than the actual spa. The steam room and sauna were also fantastic, which helped me finally relax.

We ate in the hotel restaurant that evening. The food was nice but too pricey and very small portions for side dishes. The waiter was fantastic, proper silver service experience he gave us. This waiter and the pool is what saved this hotel from a zero rating!

The next day we checked out and the final nail in the coffin was that I was overcharged twice for dinner. I was ready to scream so my boyfriend took over and the receptionist apologised but said she "doesn't check the invoices she just prints them out".

We then headed home and will stay happy ever after somewhere else!

The end.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Christina K
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I booked a spa day here for a change since I have been to spa days in other local hotels and fancied trying somewhere new. I bought this for my mother in law and i to go as a christmas gift. The spa, gym and relaxing areas were lovely especially the spa areas and relaxing room which is stunning! The treatments were very nice and the staff were very friendly and polite. I was very disappointed that there was no jacuzzi or whirlpool!! My mother in law doesn't swim so was looking forward to sitting in the jacuzzi while I had a swim so this was a bit let down!! Then after a nice relaxing massage I was taken aside and informed that when I bought my vouchers the member of staff who served us under charged us for an 'add on manicure' I bought!!! And that they wanted us to pay £40 extra!! Although I had a voucher purchased clearly stating a spa day plus extra manicure fully paid!!!This was very embarrassing! And since it was completely an error on their part could not believe they even mentioned it! completely unprofessional!! The lunch was nice but compared to Airth Castle where you get a lovely 2 course lunch with hot options and more choice it was more like a packed lunch box here!

Overall we had a nice day, a bit spoiled with the lack of jacuzzi and price error. I think next time we will go to Airth Castle again.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I was very kindly given as a gift a voucher for a spa treatment at this hotel. I had decided after much deliberation to opt for a facial that promised glowing skin. I was greeted at reception quickly and ushered through to a relaxation room to fill out a medical form. My therapist came and took my form and showed me into a very calm relaxing treatment room where she went through my form and explained my facial to me. I thourghly enjoyed this treatment and and defo seen a difference in my skin. After my facial my therapist explained all the products she used and did try to get me to buy them but £80 for a 50ml moisturiser was a bit much for me she didnt push me. All in all it was a lovely gift to receive and i would defo go back for a treatment.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night, Christmas night whilst visiting family in Grangemouth for Christmas. We were pleasantly surprised by this gem!

The service upon arrival was very friendly, warm and welcoming. We were offered assistance with our suitcases and declined but another staff member then saw us struggling and insisted on taking a suitcase and showing us to our room. She was extremely friendly and a real asset to the hotel.

The room is old school B&B style. Very roomy, very clean and everything you need. Nice sized bathroom and bed was comfortable. We were so impressed by the handwritten Christmas card and stocking of treats left for us.

We didn't use any of the facilities at the hotel and did not have any meals there so cannot comment on those aspects. Checkout was quick and friendly.

Very impressed and was very reasonably priced. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We are just home from enjoying our break here.The staff are all extremely pleasant and helpful
Our room was very nice - clean and fresh with a few wee extras The breakfast and dinner were both very good and we had a snack meal as well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polmont
5 mi away
Helix Hotel
#3 of 4 in Grangemouth
Travelodge Falkirk Hotel
Premier Inn Falkirk North Hotel

Been to Macdonald Inchyra Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!