“Good hotel for one night stay”

Bowfield Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Howwood
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We have stayed here a few times as we need to stay in Howood for a sporting event. The hotel has recently been taken over and as they have done a lot to the spa and put in a gym, they should have done the bedrooms and restaurant first. The breakfast was poor and we had to wait a wee while for it.

Room Tip: Go for a room on the top floor as you can hear all the noise on the 1st two floors from above
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
bowfieldhotel, General Manager at Bowfield Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

I can assure you the bedrooms and all areas of the hotel will receive development and investment over time, we are pleased to offer value in our room rates to reflect this.

Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast, we shall take these on board and address the specific issues you raise.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

My girlfriend and I have stayed at Bowfield many times and we see it as our secret cheap escape. For the money we pay for an overnight stay the facilities provided are fantastic.

Start with the staff- Whenever we have stayed here we found the staff extremely polite, professional and helpful. Happy to answer questions and approachable. One time they accidently put my girlfriend and a twin room and not a double. The staff were apologetic and allowed us to stay in the twin room so they could sort a double for us

Hotel Facilities- Even on an overnight stay they allow you full access to the gym and swimming. I only had a quick look at the gym but it looked fantastic and up to date. The pool itself is a great size and well kept. The big Jacuzzi is excellent too. Restaurant- every time we have stayed we have eaten in the hotel restaurant and I can have no complaints at all. Staff are great and the food has always been excellent!! Huge portions of good hearty food and reasonable prices.

Rooms- The rooms do have an old tired feel to them but always extremely clean and well kept. Most of the furniture is old fashioned but not worn away. The bathroom is fine and always clean. Has some work to do, to maybe update and grout the tiles but all in all it is good. The bed is particularly good; it is pretty big and very comfortable. My girlfriend and I love the bed. Has the usual hotel basics but these are quite old and could do with an update. The hair drier for example is very very old and the hotel could improve this. Room has a basic TV with a digital box.

NEGATIVES- to be fair on Bowfield there are only about two negatives but I think they need to be considered. The TVs are very old and small with terrible overbearing sounds. The digital box is connected by a SCART and this sometimes means fuzziness and poor channel connection. It may look out of place in the room but it would be a fantastic investment if Bowfield started to slowly upgrade their televisions. TIP- we often bring a portable DVD player and plug it in and bring DVDs
The other negative is the shower/shower head. These are pretty bad and sometimes only dribble some water out. They are old and almost broken and showering is the least enjoyable part of the hotel. It also takes a while to heat up so I would run the shower for a while. If Bowfield do decided for some improvements I would say it has to be the Shower then the TV in that order.

OVERALL- I would highly recommend this hotel if you want a quality, well kept and good hotel for the price they offer. Even have what I consider a late check out at 11am. I would say it’s perfect for an overnight stay or whatever reason that may be

I you soon Bowfield

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your comments, these are very much appreciated by all the team at Bowfield.

I am delighted to advise that all TV's in every room have now been replaced and upgraded. We have also improved the hot water situation in all the rooms.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Rather than re-type my whole experience I will just copy the email that I have sent to the Bowfield:

Good morning.
My wife and I got married at your country club 6 years ago and since then we have had numerous meals from your restaurant and bar. Previously the quality of the food from both has been of a very high standard and we have previously recommended your venue to numerous people for meals and events. The restaurant I classed as 1 of my favourites and would have happily chosen it over more obvious choices within the city centre.
However the meal and experience we had at your restaurant on Saturday was atrocious.
When we first arrived I was very surprised to learn that you no longer had the dedicated restaurant. This is now only used to serve breakfast to guests in, or so we were told. This in itself was a terrible disappointment to myself. We have previously ranted and raved to our friends about how good the food and service was and we had brought along 2 close friends to share in the delight of what we remembered the Bowfield restaurant to be.
Once we received the menus it was obvious that the food served at you club could no longer be described as fine dinning. So far, so disappointing. However this could have been redeemed if the food that you did serve was of a good standard. However almost everything that was brought to our table was sub-standard. If you are going to serve pub grub, you have to make sure it is good pub grub!
My wife had this to say about her food:
"So I ordered the Tomato and Parmesan Cheese tart tartin and rocket for a starter. I am not a chef however this so called tart tartin was not one. What I got was a circle piece of poorly baked puff pastry, a sliced tomato and topped with Cheddar cheese (not parmesan cheese as it was supposed to have) which had been quickly grilled to melt the cheese. Now a tart tartin has a caramelised top due to the way its cooked what I got my two year old daughter could have put together and it certainly cannot be called a tart tartin. It should be taken off the menu immediately as its false advertising.
My second course which was just as appalling as the first course was from the special's menu. The was the Chicken with the Cajun cream and seasonal vegetables. When this was presented in front of me I almost fell off my seat in disgust. In fact everyone I was with looked with the same expression. It looked disgusting. It was basically a very large white plate with a piece of chicken that had been battered a few times to make it thinner and a horrible coloured sauce and then a couple of side dishes with overcooked vegetables. The chicken itself was also very overcooked and dry and looked like it had be thrown on the plate from the other side of the kitchen.
For my third course I ordered the chocolate brownie and asked this to come with the honeycomb ice-cream. This was equally as disappointing as the rest of my meal. The brownie you could tell is was bought in as it had a cardboard taste to it and the honeycomb ice-cream tasted nothing like honeycomb."
The pork belly that 2 of us ordered was more fat than meat. The cheese board was tiny and appeared to have been collected from the cheese counter at the local super market.
I struggle to comprehend that this food came out of the same kitchen that had previously given us so many lovely meals and fond memories. Also I notice that within the bar area you still have your AA rosettes on show! I can only conclude that this was awarded to your establish based on a previous performance as the meal and service we experienced would not have received a honourable mention within the chip shop fraternity!
Now we move onto the service and quality of your staff. The service was exceptional slow. After we had finished our desserts no one came over to us for over 45 minutes. That is 45 minutes of no food, 45 minutes of us not having a drink and 45 minutes of your establishment not making any money! The only reason that we managed to get any attention was due to me going to the bar to ask a member of staff to attend to our table! This is, frankly, unacceptable.
Unfortunately a member of your staff fainted while we were there. As it happened right next to us at the top of the short set of stairs I rushed to help. My friend rushed off to fetch another member of staff. Another member of staff also came. However there were no signs of a first aider! I helped get the woman to a quiet spot to recompose herself. At this point the other member of staff took over. About 30 minutes later the other member of staff came to thank us for helping. However she then went on to tell us that the member of staff had health problems and should not have been at work! Surely this is private information that my group both didn't need to know and didn't want to know.
More than 1 member of staff also seemed to use the fire place as a bin, throwing numerous napkins into it. Unprofessional to say the least!
Over the years my wife and I have spent thousand of pounds at your club, however we shall not be darkening your door again. Disappointed, is unfortunately, not a strong enough word to describe how we felt after our experience of your club. We will be shortly compiling a review to go on Trip Advisor as well as warning our friends and family about the appalling experience that we had at your restaurant.
Colin Whitby

Room Tip: If the quality of our meal and the service received is anything to go by then the only tip I could...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colin W
bowfieldhotel, General Manager at Bowfield Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced during your visit. I can assure you immediate action will be taken to address your comments with our Head Chef and in retraining for our team.

We introduced our extensive lounge menu following feedback from our guests regarding the old menu you mention as this was simply not popular and to be honest, we were only catering for AA food inspectors. I do firmly believe the extensive menu we are now offering is what the majority of our customers are looking for and to enjoy this quality food in front of our warm log fires.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the quality of food you experienced on Saturday night. Your comments have been discussed in detail with our Head Chef, who has been here for over 6 years and your comments have been taken on board. We pride ourselves in quality home cooking, and I assure you the dessert was not 'bought in'.

There is no excuse for the inattentive service following your dessert and I assure you action will be taken to include retraining.

The Duty Manager on Saturday night was indeed first aid qualified, I thank you for coming to the assistance of the unfortunate staff member. I also hope you enjoyed the log fire which adds to the fantastic character and ambience of our lounge. I also hope you appreciated the recently replaced carpets and improvements made to the lounge.

Thank you for your feedback, it is only with comments, both positive and negative that we can continue to improve the facilities and service we provide.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointments you experienced during your visit and I do hope that you will return to visit Bowfield Hotel & Country Club in the near future.

Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

If you like gyms this is the hotel to stay at! Fantastic new gym opened around 2 weeks ago. All new equipment, Smith Machine up to 25kg free weights (not heavy enough!) and top of the range free movement weight machines. Nicely lit pool pleasant staff and good food.

This hotel is currently being refurbed and I hope the rooms are also being updated as my room was a bit tired, old looking and the tv was definitely due to be changed!

Hotel is away from the city in the country side about 15miles from the centre of Glasgow (30 mins) and close to the airport. Hotel is over the flight path but this could not be heard from my room!

Food seemed to be of a high standard and was served with nice homemade chips (which I love!) free wifi is available in the reception next to the lovely log fire which smells gorgeous at this time of tray. Wifi can also be picked up in both bars but my signal was a little bit bad making calls both on the Vodafone network and o2 networks.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank JudeJackson

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay at Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

Your comments are appreciated by the team. I am very pleased with the recent improvements we have made, in fact our gym has been quoted as 'the best hotel gym in Scotland' and I very much look forward to the continued developments over the coming months and years.

Kind regards

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Second time here and it's better than ever! We tried the new gym (though the old one was good) and it's excellent. Ended up in the same room with four poster bed and at £85 quid for DBB you just can't beat it. Returning soon and bringing the kids :-)

Room Tip: Only experienced one and thats the superior double.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your extremely kind comments, they are appreciated by the full team. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We have been staying at the Bowfield for around 7 years at least once a year, as a couple and as a family group ranging from four to 12 in the partyr and in age from 9yrs to 70yrs. We have always thoroughly enjoyed the ambience and the restaurant food. The facilities are excellent from the swimming pool to the children's soft play. We were disappointed when returning this time to hear the restaurant menu is no longer available and while the bar menu was adequate and the food served was of a high standard we certainly missed the restaurant table d'hote menu. We also missed sitting in the bar area for a drink in the lovely soft seating with open fire which is now really just used for people eating food. The breakfast, again while thoroughly enjoyed was of a smaller portion than before - it's not often I am served a 1/4
mushroom on a breakfast plate!!

We certainly noticed a degree of update in the before slightly tired surroundings which was hopeful that the new owners are intending to keep and continue to improve this hidden gem of a hotel.

For us this is an ideal hotel to stay when visiting Glasgow -if you have a car.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal in front of the log fire. We also have another bar and lounge area which also has a log fire, not to mention the log fire with soft seats at reception.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced at breakfast. I can assure you action has been taken with our Head Chef to address this.

Thank you for returning regularly and I believe you will be pleased with the continuing improvements you will see over the coming months and years. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have stayed twice now, I found the staff to be very helpful, the pool and leisure facilities were good. I had very pleasant bar meals in the Bar which had a log burning stove and was nice and cosy. The breakfast is superb, real good quality and tasty breakfast, with a wide selection. good whole meal toast, fantastic scrambled egg, and tasty sausages all nicely cooked and served.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your very kind comments, these are very much appreciated by the whole team.

Thank you also for returning to visit Bowfield Hotel & Country Club.

Kind regards

Craig Stewart

Also consider these accommodations in or near Howwood
Lynnhurst Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clarkston
Normandy Hotel
Normandy Hotel
#1 of 3 in Renfrew

Been to Bowfield Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!