“Good value set lunch menu” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Elliston Grill - CLOSED

Elliston Grill
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Little Canfield, United Kingdom
“Good value set lunch menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We didn't really know what to expect from the £8.95 menu but were all very pleased with our choices. The salmon was perfectly cooked, as was the chicken, portions were generous, especially the sticky toffee pudding!

The bill for 3 adults and 2 children came to £67 which was very reasonable considering we had a £23 bottle of wine (delicious and worth every penny!).
Service was good and the staff were attentive to the need of my grandchildren, serving their food when it was ready rather than keeping hungry toddlers waiting.
All in all a good dining experience and we will return when in the area again.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Paisley, United Kingdom
“Almost Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Food Fabulous, Value for Money, only let down not enough staff to handle the amount of tables (they were running around constantly.) So felt sorry for waiting staff.

Glasgow
“Much improved..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This was out third visit to EG and was by far the most successful, the food was tasty, service was efficient and it was pretty good value. My only criticism would be the lighting which was just too much and too harsh. There are wall lights, overhead lights and ceiling downlighters. All too much especially as there are candles (unlit) on all the tables. I am not suggesting candles should be lit, it isn't that sort of place, but I'd be inclined to switch something off - there isn't any atmosphere when the place is lit up like that!!

As far as food goes, our starters of goats cheese and pate were both very tasty and for mains OH had rack of lamb, fondant potato and red cabbage, a generous portion, well cooked. I enjoyed wild sea bass and puy lentils, again very tasy and plentiful. To finish the Elliston Mess is a must!! About a million calories but every one of them delish.....!!

All in all an enjoyable evening and one I intend to repeat before too long.

bigmafiaman
“Great Food in Howwood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

My hubby and I had a terrific meal in the Elliston Grill. I decided not to have a starter as I had seen the list of amazing deserts on the menu. However I was soon drooling over hubby's Cullen Skink which came with lovely homebaked bread. My King Prawn Linguini with chilli was lovely and spicy with a decent number of prawns. However the banoffee pie was to die for. The wine waiter helped us chose a good wine to go with my main course and hubby's steak. The staff were attentive and helpful and keen to have a friendly chat. The food is excellent and I am already planning what I'll have the next time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Glasgow
“Christmas Day Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Booked for Christmas in October and were given a menu when we paid deposit which was different to the menu on the day, salmon instead of sea bass.
Starters arrived and bread was cold and dry not warm as stated in menu, asked for butter with soup course which came straight from fridge and was unspreadable.
My 87year old aunt cut her finger on the cracker and asked for a plaster, we waited 10 mins for one to arrive having had to ask for it again.
Rib of beef main course came with mash not roast potatoes as stated on menu was returned and came back with 3 tiny potatoes. Told waitress turkey was dry and had far too much gravy had no response.
Ordered dessert and coffee there was no warm mince pies or mints, asked for a cup of hot water and it came in a teapot that was badly stained and made the water brown.
The staff were all very young and never engaged us in any conversation and always seemed to be in the kitchen .
The meal cost £65 each and left us all feeling so disappointed that I contacted them the next day detailing my issues and giving them the chance to explain themselves before posting my review on Tripadvisor where I had originally found the restaurant. I was asked if I would accept a gift voucher which I agreed to . I heard nothing from them, contacted them again a week later and Manager replied that they had been very busy and were investigating my problems fully to come up with 'the best value voucher and solution' but if I was going to post a review then this offer was no longer available. Their website states they ‘strive to offer the best produce, taste, variety and value as well as the best standards of friendliness and customer care possible ‘ sadly none of this was apparent on our visit and the manager has shown the least amount of customer care.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ellistongrill001, General Manager at Elliston Grill, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
At the Elliston grill we strive to offer the best produce, taste, variety and value as well as the best standards of friendliness and customer care possible! The weeks prior to Christmas sample menus where given out to customers enquiring about booking for Christmas day the price was £65 p/p and is the cheapest in the surrounding area, when given the sample menu it should have been explained to you that it might not be exactly the same due to availability from our local suppliers, unfortunately the fish monger couldn’t supply use with sea bass so we had to replace it with salmon. At the Elliston grill we cook everything from scratch including our bread, pasta, deserts, stocks unfortunately the bread might not have been as warm as u would have liked and the butter could have been left out little to soften, when the rib of beef was sent back because of missing roast potatoes we corrected it is quickly as possible as with your aunts finger and can only apologize again if the turkey and gravy weren’t to your taste. With the staffing at the Elliston we try to find the balance between giving young people an opportunity with more experience staff and I can only hope you can see the importance of getting young people into work! There where 8 members of staff on Christmas, 4 of which were supervisors.
After bringing your complaints to my attention via email I would have appreciated a little more time to resolve the situation bearing in mind we closed for 3 days over this period. Never once did I write nor would I write “but if you were going to post a review then this offer was no longer available”. I would be more than willing to offer you some sort of compensation if you could get back in touch because we truly do value our customers at the Elliston grill and are disappointed when thing aren’t perfect !

Stephen Harkin