“Poor night”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I had been looking forward to this meal all day. In the past the service had been a bit slow but due to the amount of people and just the amount of food that can come out of a small kitchen. We arrived at the lion and told we could be seated straight away. We ordered and waited about 20-25 mins for the starters. I had the smoked salmon and prawns and she had the garlic mushrooms. Dishes that do not take ages. They tasted nice but just waited to long. They had a lot of staff serving so it was the kitchen that seemed slow. The main meals came I had chops and mash and mint gravy. She had chicken. The mash had no taste and was lumpy, what's hard about a nob of butter and a dash of milk and mash it up. The two chops where very small and like rubber. In the past when we have been here its good home cooking and you feel full after the meal. Not this time.....
The veg came long bits of carrots and a but of sad colliflower and six or seven garden peas hiding In the bottom of the bowl. This was for the two of us. We complained to a member of staff who seemed to take it personally and said would tell the chef. They never came back and said sorry or gave an answer. I paid the bill which had been reduced but no explanation given to me why or a "sorry" you have not enjoyed your meal. Back to the smaller than child size portion of a meal for a main. I went home and made a meal at home. When I go out for a meal I do not care about the cost, I want a good home cooked meal that is tasty and fills you up. And when you leave you can comment on how nice it was. Not how poor it was and look forward getting home to get a decent meal. The table opposite us seemed not to happy either leaving a burger untouched. We both said it will be a while before we go back.

What's happened red lion you used to be a place I looked forward to going to. ?????

4  Thank paul m
VickiMorgan11, Public Relations Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your meal at the Red Lion. Please accept our apologies if your main course did not meet your expectations. We do strive to ensure your dining experience is a pleasant one and if on this occasion we have fallen short of that we are sorry. All of our food is cooked fresh to order from local suppliers so can take a little time. The table next to you were too full to eat their burger and it was wrapped for them to take home. On the plus side I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed meals here at the Red Lion in the past and I hope your recent experience will not prevent you from returning. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Red Lion

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Arrived for a quick lunch with work colleagues between meetings to a very warm welcome, tasty food and really good service. The menu offered some good and imaginative choices for pub grub and the portions were of a good size so anyone with a large appetite would be quite satisfied. The bread was really fresh and all of the food serviced looked appetising - a long time since I have seen anything served in a basket! Chips to die for!

VickiMorgan11, Public Relations Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Red Lion. As a team we are overjoyed to get such positive comments about the service, food and environment. I will pass on your feedback to the rest of our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We went after work for an early meal. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the staff very helpful. There was five of us and we all had something different from the two course menu at £9.99. Everyone was pleased with their choice, non of us actually finished all of our main, it was delicious but we were full. I had the tai fish cake to start and the chicken skewers with salad and chips, the menu is actually with pitta bread but I asked for chips instead, the pitta probably would have been lighter really. The restaurant decor is very olde world with hops on the ceiling and the large table has magnificent carved chairs, well worth a visit. It got really busy as we were leaving so you may need to book up.

VickiMorgan11, Public Relations Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2014

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We had a lovely meal here on a busy Bank Holiday, service was excellent, the bar area and restaurant were extremely busy , but the staff were coping well, food was delicious and the service was prompt and very attentive, well done !

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Took my mam out for Sunday lunch,hadn't eaten in the red lion pub before but had herd good reports.luckily we got there early so got a table,but next time I will book up as it seemed that most people had.
The staff were very helpful and quick to bring our drinks over also showed us to our table.lovely atmosphere but quite busy which is a good sign.we both opted the trio of meats,pork,beef and lamb..didn't have to wait long until it was brought over to us with two dishes of veg and a boat of gravy...oh and an impressive Y Pud....couldn't wait to tuck in as it looked delicious. We were quiet at the table as we hadn't enjoyed a meal as much in a long time..and we have been to most places for lunches...couldn't fault it in any way...looking forward to returning soon 10/10.

VickiMorgan11, Public Relations Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your Sunday lunch at the Red Lion. It is great to receive such glowing comments about your overall dining experience with us. We do pride ourselves on our Sunday lunches which seem to be getting more and more popular each week, so yes, it is a good idea to book to avoid disappointment. I will pass on your comments to the chef, friendly waiting staff and the management team. We look forward to welcoming you and your Mum back very soon.