“Just ok but watch out!”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Boldon
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Revisited here after a long absence and was disappointed. We had a visitor from foreign climes and he thought it was quite quirky. Food was nice can't say any other but I think it is time the menu was revamped a little , some of the dishes on have been there forever. It is I feel overpriced for a pub in Boldon with a "restaurant type" area at the back, and not a gourmet restaurant in a city centre location. What really wrangled was a 10% service charge added to the bill. If we were a large party maybe a bit more understandable but for an early drink and tea for a couple of people we thought it was unnecessary - we would gladly leave a tip on our own accord for good service. Bill was over £100.00 for 3 - 2 courses only - , by comparison 6 of us ate at an equally good restaurant in Seaburn last week and paid less than that with 2 bottles of wine included. This is an ok place to eat but pricey and watch out for that service charge!

2  Thank CHRIS15DST

Reviewed November 15, 2013

It's been a while since we were last at The Black Horse, a mistake on our part which we will be rectifying. Our friends had never been there before but were completely blown away by it. We love the quirky eccentricity of it, from the LP covers housing the menus to the eclectic mix of treasure which adorns every surface. This place is a one off and it's sad to read reviews from people who don't have the imagination to get it.
The food was superb and I'm quite surprised to read reviews from people complaining about the portions - ours were enormous. My beetroot and goats cheese salad was full of flavour and my tuna cooked to perfection, which is a skill in itself. My husband's steak was huge with some doorstep size chips. Our friends were equally complimentary about the slow cooked beef.
This place is a joy, great food, unique surroundings and totally original.

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Black Horse last night for my wife's birthday food and service were 1st class, i defy anyone to get better quality for the price in the area. Peasants menu was fantastic at £16 for 3 courses.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

A family gathering on a Friday night. Pub full to brim so the two members of staff serving we're rushed off their feet - get more staff, service is charged for so more staff on busy evenings it spoilt our expererience of wonderful food as we ha to ask for our order to be taken through no fault of their own as there appeared to be only two members of staff serving food ? Can not fault the food but need more staff on food :-) will come again but not on busy evenings.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Just arrived home from the gorgeous temperatures of the Med so my boyfriend and I came out for a nice hearty meal since I was freezing! Lovely cozy atmosphere and really friendly staff. A great menu, we both took ages to choose and I'm dying to go back. Steak was perfect! I particularly liked the description of the service charge and the division between staff equally. A nice added touch. Wish we could have stayed longer, and without the car! Will be going back soon.

1  Thank Nic_Bush