“Nice flavours but a little disappointing”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Boldon
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Called in for Sunday lunch and was very disappointed with the portion of pork on my dinner and the veg in my opinion was barely sufficient for one person, which in reality was meant for the both of us. The dinner comes with one average size Yorkshire pudding but you can have more at a price. We then finished off with sticky toffee puddings that were quite tasty although again a little over priced at £4.95 each. The dinners to be honest were very tasty but just a bit tight on the portions at just shy of £10 each. The chef (Pete Zulu) is a very talented chef and a pleasant person as we have met him personally in the past. Although this wasn,t the best Sunday lunch that we have ever had overall it would not put us off eating there again, although probably on an evening in future. I might just mention that when the bill came there was a 10% surcharge added to the bill which raises my heckles as I normally tip anyway but prefer the choice to be mine!

Date of visit: October 2013
2  Thank Buzby80

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the second time that I have sampled the delights of the Black Horse after it was recommended by friends who live locally within the Boldon area. It already had quite a high profile; this due in no small part to the local chef who has become quite a minor celebrity in his own right within Sunderland. The pub itself is unusual and original, full of pictures and paintings that the chef has produced himself (I am reliably informed he is a first rate photographer) and some amazing obscure memetoes and brick a brack from the 60s and 70s.Think of British Leyland/Chopper Bikes and David Bowie.
The food is in a word fantastic and exceptionally reasnoable! They had a 50% discount on all lunch time meals served when I visited but I would have quite happily paid full price and have been content. I had the fish and chips whilst my partner had the locally produced Black horse burger along with a childs chicken nuggets and chips; total price with discount just under £10.00! You will be hard pushed to find anything that meets the high standards of presentation/quality or service anywhere in Sunderland at this present time. The fish I had was either related to moby Dick or was caught close to Sellafield such was the size and the home made chips and mushy peas are to die for. My friend was equally impressed with the burger whilst her daughter struggled with the home made chicken nuggets. The service is friendly, atttentive and we even left with a couple of lolly pops for the daughter. Please just go there, you will not be dissapointed!

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

The service the value and overall the place it's self Is just amazing I recommend their Facebook page as they have amazing offers such as half price food etc, well worth a visit! Team horse is the way forward!! All the staff are so welcoming and friendly!!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We run a sunday club evaluating all the pubs and restaurants in the north east Have to say this is far the best. Quality of the food is excellent service great . Can highly recoment

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This place has certainly gone down hill was in last week a party of 5 and was very disappointing will not be returning

1  Thank Roberthull123