“VERY VERY VERY HAPPY!!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
Norwich, United Kingdom
“VERY VERY VERY HAPPY!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Recently stayed at the Quy Mill Hotel on a Spa Break. I decided to book direct with the hotel, as I had specific requirements for the booking, and both the ladies I spoke to at reservations and the spa were very helpful.

The room we were allocated was in one of the outside barns (must say unsure why others on here speak so disparagingly of these barns, I (and my sister) found them full of character and charming and was nice to be a bit away from the main hotel). The room it self was comfortable and clean, and I would imagine looking at the fixtures and fittings refurbished fairly recently.

Spa was lovely and relaxing, we booked in for the Mud Chamber and my sister enjoyed a back massage which she said was one of the best she had had!

After having a little late afternoon snooze (relaxing is so exhausting), we went over to the hotel for dinner. After enjoying some pre dinner bubbles we were shown through to the restaurant where we enjoyed a delicious meal.

My sister and I are both early risers so we were down for Breakfast first thing and we enjoyed a relaxing breakfast with an amazing choice on the continental buffet (can recommend the homemade bread), followed by a full breakfast.

Thank you to all at the Hotel for a wonderfully relaxing stay, we will certainly be returning to the Quy Mill very soon, hopefully when the nice weather gets here and we can enjoy the beautiful gardens

1 Thank Emily T
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your excellent feedback on your Spa Break. I am delighted to read such a review, and even more delighted to be able to share this with the team her at Quy Mill. We pride ourselves on quality facilities and service and is always a delight to read when someone has enjoyed everything we have to offer.
Thank-you once again, and we will have great pleasure in welcoming you back for another fantastic stay!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have stayed in this hotel twice before and not had many problems but my latest stay this week involved a number of unsatisfactory elements:
1. The wifi in the "lodge" (chicken coop) across from the hotel main building was dreadful. Combined with very poor mobile phone reception, keeping in touch proved very difficult.
2. Each night and early morning my sleep was disturbed by a washing machine. Have they located their laundry in one of the accommodation blocks?
3. I had a gourmet burger in the bar one evening and it contained a piece of bone about 1.5 centimetres long, big enough to choke on. In recompense, they deducted the cost of a glass of wine from my bill!
I will try never to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank AML1954
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your comments. You have highlighted some key points which I can respond. We are currently finalising a complete upgrade to our Wi-Fi facilities, which will triple the speed of the current system, along with a much larger bandwidth. We are delighted to announce this significant investment to further enhance the excellent facilities at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa.
In terms of the 'washing machine', this needs investigated. We have no laundry on-site anywhere as all of this is taken care of off site by a professional laundry company, so I can absolutely assure you this is not the case and certainly either is the laundry in any accommodation block. We were aware of your issue with the burger, and as you accepted more than a glass of wine, with our sincere apologies for such an unfortunate incident we believed this was a satisfactory recompense.
Please do accept our apologies for any shortcomings experienced during your stay, such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary.
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Ww had a Wedding in April it was all going so well untill three cars got broken into. The, Manager did not even come out it was left upto the night staff to sort out. We were told that this had happened before but they still had no security in place. My brother and his wife had come down from Scotland and could not fly back home as there passports had been taken as well as all there money.
In the morning we all went for breakfast to have to line up. there was not enough tables for everyone and there was no staff to set the tables up. We then got to get our food and nothing was left, they had run out . The Bride had to go and find staff and get more food and when we got it it was not cooked. And the milk was in a gravy boat ??? We all felt they had our money from the Wedding and didn't care about us any more. We thought this Hotel was a good place to have a Wedding but we as a family would not use them again. It just spoilt a lovely day. When we went to pay for our rooms we were all charged different prices for the same size rooms some were charged £115.00 and others £95.00 when we asked how come we was told some people had stayed two night and £95.00 was a dscounted night price but as we had all arrived at the same time after the wedding service. So once again we had to sort this out. I feel that all the staff should have more training and have more staff on duty and get the Security sorted out

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. I am delighted to read you enjoyed the wedding at Quy Mill. Please accept our apologies for the the issues regarding your brothers car. Like any car park in the country, owners leave cars at their own risk and certainly leaving passports and money in the car is not advisable. We have had one other incident in the last year, and since have installed CCTV cameras recently to aid our security. We have handed over recordings to the police in the aim of doing everything possible to catch the people responsible.
Having explained this to you directly when we spoke several days ago, I am very surprised that none of your other issues were raised as any points of concern. However, please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings experienced in the service we have provided. I have addressed your comments with the relevant department heads to avoid such a repeat. Thank-you once again for your comments, such feedback is a valuable way for us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary.
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here recently for two nights. With the exception of a couple of minor gripes had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. I am unsure where other visitors comments come from 'tacky' as this is one thing this hotel is not. I would also recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a spa as the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were great. Still each to their own as they say!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Grahamc5
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review!! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Quy Mill and had a chance to enjoy all the fantastic facilities we have on offer. As you say, our leisure facilities and Spa are excellent and must be sampled by all visiting us!!
I must agree with your comments about previous reviews on 'tacky', with our recent refurbishment, we can be called many things but 'tacky' certainly isn't one of them!!! Thank-you once again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Quy Mill in the very near future.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Have stopped at many a Best W. Hotel in UK and US and found them excellent value.This one write it off from chicken coup accommodation to expensive and badly stocked bar.Extended waiting for a lunchtime meal. No staff , seemingly 1 waiter/barman perhaps a chef /receptionist as well.All patio tables uncleared .Noise from A14.would be better keeping chickens.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Having never stayed in a chicken coup myself, I am unable to comment. I can however, comment on the fantastic converted barns at Quy Mill, which have been recently refurbished to a very high standard, whilst maintaining the original wood features. Our rooms are fully equipped and furnished to a four star standard, all unique in terms of shape and size, complimented on by most of our guests.
From reading your review, it appears budget must be a key factor in your thoughts on a hotel 'excellent value' and 'expensive' are the words you used. Perhaps a budget brand, or purpose built block hotel is more suitable in the future.
Thank-you once again for your comments, and should you wish to return to an excellent country house hotel, close to the centre of Cambridge, you are more than welcome at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa.
Hatfield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed here with my partner for my daughters wedding last weekend.
After ringing up before to check my and my sisters and parents bookings for the one night we found that the prices we were quoted were not the same. We sorted it out over the phone so expected all to be fine on arrival. Not so ! when we booked in we had the same problem and we were told that the higher price was still applicable. After another 10 minutes we again were told our prices would be the lower price(we had booked months before) so off we went to enjoy my Daughters long awaited wedding meal.
The food was well cooked and plenty of it. My only concern was that it took so long to serve so as one table was finishing a course another table was just getting theirs. My elderly parents were last to be served..... a good 20 minutes after the top tables food.
During the evening disco we were told that 2 families had had their cars broken into and passports and money stolen. A member of staff informed me that this had happened only 3 months before......but still there was no car park security or cameras in place.
We slept well with my room being large and bed comfy.
Breakfast was buffet style and I found all the guests waiting in single file ready to get their breakfast. No baked beans or fried eggs or poached eggs The bacon ran out after 5 mins so we had to wait another 5 mins before it was replaced with fresh bacon. We were not happy!
at the end of the table we all had to wait yet again for our toast that plodded through the machine at a snails pace. So yet another wait in the line with our plate of food getting cold.
Next was what was called a sausage but was under cooked and vile!! I saw many sausages left on the plates when we left.
The last sting was met when we were again going to be charged the higher price at check out!!!
6 people were arguing at the desk and the receptionist had a face of thunder.
Great grounds but the breakfast was a fiasco and the rooms were very nice.....so all in all not bad but let down on some very important things.......SECURITY AND BREAKFAST.

1 Thank Peter H
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for posting your review. You have mentioned some key factors which we can learn from to ensure there is no such repeat. In terms of the security, I can confirm we have security cameras in place, recordings of which were handed over to the police immediately after the event. The car park is fully lit with several lights, and regular security checks are completed throughout the day and night. The police have informed us there has been a campaign of car break-ins in the Cambridgeshire area recently, which is not helped by people leaving valuables in the car. Unfortunately, there were 3 cars broken into on the same evening, all of which, the owners had left valuables clearly visible on the seats thus enticing the culprits to avail of this opportunity handed to them on a plate! There are also several signs in the car park advising guests not to leave valuables (passports & money) in their car. Unfortunately, there are very few parking areas in the country that are safe is such items are left visible.
Please accept our apologies for any shortcomings in service you may have experienced during breakfast and rest assured action has been taken to ensure such lapses do not occur in the future.
Thank-you once again for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future for a more enjoyable stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Regent Hotel
#5 of 36 in Cambridge
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!