Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here recently for two nights. With the exception of a couple of minor gripes had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. I am unsure where other visitors comments come from 'tacky' as this is one thing this hotel is not. I would also recommend this hotel to anyone who likes a spa as the pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room were great. Still each to their own as they say!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Grahamc5
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review!! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Quy Mill and had a chance to enjoy all the fantastic facilities we have on offer. As you say, our leisure facilities and Spa are excellent and must be sampled by all visiting us!!
I must agree with your comments about previous reviews on 'tacky', with our recent refurbishment, we can be called many things but 'tacky' certainly isn't one of them!!! Thank-you once again for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Quy Mill in the very near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Have stopped at many a Best W. Hotel in UK and US and found them excellent value.This one write it off from chicken coup accommodation to expensive and badly stocked bar.Extended waiting for a lunchtime meal. No staff , seemingly 1 waiter/barman perhaps a chef /receptionist as well.All patio tables uncleared .Noise from A14.would be better keeping chickens.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Having never stayed in a chicken coup myself, I am unable to comment. I can however, comment on the fantastic converted barns at Quy Mill, which have been recently refurbished to a very high standard, whilst maintaining the original wood features. Our rooms are fully equipped and furnished to a four star standard, all unique in terms of shape and size, complimented on by most of our guests.
From reading your review, it appears budget must be a key factor in your thoughts on a hotel 'excellent value' and 'expensive' are the words you used. Perhaps a budget brand, or purpose built block hotel is more suitable in the future.
Thank-you once again for your comments, and should you wish to return to an excellent country house hotel, close to the centre of Cambridge, you are more than welcome at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa.
Hatfield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed here with my partner for my daughters wedding last weekend.
After ringing up before to check my and my sisters and parents bookings for the one night we found that the prices we were quoted were not the same. We sorted it out over the phone so expected all to be fine on arrival. Not so ! when we booked in we had the same problem and we were told that the higher price was still applicable. After another 10 minutes we again were told our prices would be the lower price(we had booked months before) so off we went to enjoy my Daughters long awaited wedding meal.
The food was well cooked and plenty of it. My only concern was that it took so long to serve so as one table was finishing a course another table was just getting theirs. My elderly parents were last to be served..... a good 20 minutes after the top tables food.
During the evening disco we were told that 2 families had had their cars broken into and passports and money stolen. A member of staff informed me that this had happened only 3 months before......but still there was no car park security or cameras in place.
We slept well with my room being large and bed comfy.
Breakfast was buffet style and I found all the guests waiting in single file ready to get their breakfast. No baked beans or fried eggs or poached eggs The bacon ran out after 5 mins so we had to wait another 5 mins before it was replaced with fresh bacon. We were not happy!
at the end of the table we all had to wait yet again for our toast that plodded through the machine at a snails pace. So yet another wait in the line with our plate of food getting cold.
Next was what was called a sausage but was under cooked and vile!! I saw many sausages left on the plates when we left.
The last sting was met when we were again going to be charged the higher price at check out!!!
6 people were arguing at the desk and the receptionist had a face of thunder.
Great grounds but the breakfast was a fiasco and the rooms were very nice.....so all in all not bad but let down on some very important things.......SECURITY AND BREAKFAST.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Peter H
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for posting your review. You have mentioned some key factors which we can learn from to ensure there is no such repeat. In terms of the security, I can confirm we have security cameras in place, recordings of which were handed over to the police immediately after the event. The car park is fully lit with several lights, and regular security checks are completed throughout the day and night. The police have informed us there has been a campaign of car break-ins in the Cambridgeshire area recently, which is not helped by people leaving valuables in the car. Unfortunately, there were 3 cars broken into on the same evening, all of which, the owners had left valuables clearly visible on the seats thus enticing the culprits to avail of this opportunity handed to them on a plate! There are also several signs in the car park advising guests not to leave valuables (passports & money) in their car. Unfortunately, there are very few parking areas in the country that are safe is such items are left visible.
Please accept our apologies for any shortcomings in service you may have experienced during breakfast and rest assured action has been taken to ensure such lapses do not occur in the future.
Thank-you once again for your comments we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future for a more enjoyable stay.
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Rooms aren't that spacious but adequate. I loved the towels so fluffy! My husband was disappointed that all the ales were off as this was one of the reasons we chose here. The food although high end cost wise was very good. We enjoyed the spa and found the staff all around the hotel helpful and attentive at all times.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. We have many different shapes and sizes of rooms, some are bigger than others as you would expect from an old style traditional building such as this. I am delighted you enjoyed our award winning food and excellent staff, thank-you. Please accept our apologies for the ale issue, which I will investigate, thank-you for pointing this out. All our linen has been upgraded recently to high end quality stock which enforces our aim at quality in all areas of the business.
Thank-you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to Quy Mill.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Unfortunately, the hotel is no longer able to honour Groupon Vouchers for a Spa day with afternoon tea for two.

The current voucher is dated until April 17th. However, due to bookings already taken till the end of the month they are no longer accepting new bookings.

The hotel is asking individuals to contact Groupon for a refund.

I suggest next time(if there is a next time) the hotel do not other sell vouchers.

Very disappointing!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your comments.
We put a promotion on Groupon for sale in January. The last sale date was mid-January with a 3 month booking window and expiry date on the voucher of 31st March. There were many vouchers sold, and as people bought them they booked. However, there were some, like yourself you obviously didn't. To this extent, we extended the use by date by 2 weeks, allowing for people who had failed to book the opportunity to use the voucher. Again, some didn't, so again we extended to the end of April.
We have made two extensions to the end date, so I don't see how your failure to book when you bought the voucher is our fault or even 'disappointing'??
Like any offer in any retail or hospitality business, there are conditions clearly set in the terms & conditions of the offer, which the consumer accepts as soon as they make the purchase. If the consumer fails to avail of the offer t&c's, it is not the retailers fault, more the consumer.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

The hotel itself is lovely. The grounds are beautiful and the spa and rooms were well furnished and had all the amenities that would be expected. Food itself was also good.

Our stay was hugely let down by the, quite frankly, atrocious customer service. From the woman at the spa desk who scolded us like children for being late (despite being over an hour early before the first treatment!) and who took over an hour to bring our sandwich orders (and having got this wrong, despite my attempts to clarify why there was such a delay, was unable to apologise).

The breakfast service was indeed a shambles (cf previous guest's comments). Bizarrely the waiter took half the table's orders and left. When we next saw him he was serving another table! On getting his attention and signalling him over, he took the second half of the table's orders (the first half was already tucking into their food). By the time the second half of us received our food we had been waiting over an hour and the first half had long since finished their meal!! The other table he was focused on had also finished theirs! On inquiring for an explanation, we were told that vegetarian sausages took longer to cook (the irony!) which is not acceptable as not all of the second orders were even vegetarian! Again no apology. Struggled to get any staff attention for more tea/coffee and rather thoughtlessly, when staff brought more tea and coffee, we had to ask again for milk.

Would not stay here again. Service really does cost nothing and whilst a lack of attention and promptness is one thing, the rudeness I personally experienced by the lady on the spa desk is another matter.

I have raised my concerns with the general manager Tony Murdoch and invited him to call me to discuss the issues, but he has not managed to do this.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Firstly may I draw your attention to the inaccuracy of your final comments. You emailed me directly on Sunday, to which I replied some 15 minutes later. I then sent a further email on Tuesday to inform you I was discussing this with the management of the Spa in the afternoon and would call you directly after this, which I duly did and we were able to discuss your comments at some length and to which you thanked me for the call.
Therefore, I must completely disregard your comments in relation to this.
I would also like to thank-you for your great comments on the hotel and its facilities and am glad on the whole that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
As discussed, I have discussed your comments regarding the spa with the management team and can assure you that action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our sincere apologies for this isolated incident. In regards to breakfast, again my sincere apologies for this shortcoming in service. I do believe, my colleague was waiting for some to your party to order, and as he was very busy with a full hotel for breakfast, he advised he would take the first half of your parties order to the kitchen, while the remaining half decided what they would like. On his way straight back, he brought breakfast out to two people on the adjacent table and immediately returned to take the remaining order from your party once the had decided. Please accept my sincere apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
Thank-you for your feedback, which helps us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary. I am delighted that on the whole, you commented that it is a 'wonderful hotel, spa and facilities' and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge City Centre
Regent Hotel
Regent Hotel
#5 of 36 in Cambridge

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!