Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stow Cum Quy
Reviewed April 14, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

There are newer reviews for Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Rooms aren't that spacious but adequate. I loved the towels so fluffy! My husband was disappointed that all the ales were off as this was one of the reasons we chose here. The food although high end cost wise was very good. We enjoyed the spa and found the staff all around the hotel helpful and attentive at all times.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. We have many different shapes and sizes of rooms, some are bigger than others as you would expect from an old style traditional building such as this. I am delighted you enjoyed our award winning food and excellent staff, thank-you. Please accept our apologies for the ale issue, which I will investigate, thank-you for pointing this out. All our linen has been upgraded recently to high end quality stock which enforces our aim at quality in all areas of the business.
Thank-you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to Quy Mill.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Unfortunately, the hotel is no longer able to honour Groupon Vouchers for a Spa day with afternoon tea for two.

The current voucher is dated until April 17th. However, due to bookings already taken till the end of the month they are no longer accepting new bookings.

The hotel is asking individuals to contact Groupon for a refund.

I suggest next time(if there is a next time) the hotel do not other sell vouchers.

Very disappointing!!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your comments.
We put a promotion on Groupon for sale in January. The last sale date was mid-January with a 3 month booking window and expiry date on the voucher of 31st March. There were many vouchers sold, and as people bought them they booked. However, there were some, like yourself you obviously didn't. To this extent, we extended the use by date by 2 weeks, allowing for people who had failed to book the opportunity to use the voucher. Again, some didn't, so again we extended to the end of April.
We have made two extensions to the end date, so I don't see how your failure to book when you bought the voucher is our fault or even 'disappointing'??
Like any offer in any retail or hospitality business, there are conditions clearly set in the terms & conditions of the offer, which the consumer accepts as soon as they make the purchase. If the consumer fails to avail of the offer t&c's, it is not the retailers fault, more the consumer.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

The hotel itself is lovely. The grounds are beautiful and the spa and rooms were well furnished and had all the amenities that would be expected. Food itself was also good.

Our stay was hugely let down by the, quite frankly, atrocious customer service. From the woman at the spa desk who scolded us like children for being late (despite being over an hour early before the first treatment!) and who took over an hour to bring our sandwich orders (and having got this wrong, despite my attempts to clarify why there was such a delay, was unable to apologise).

The breakfast service was indeed a shambles (cf previous guest's comments). Bizarrely the waiter took half the table's orders and left. When we next saw him he was serving another table! On getting his attention and signalling him over, he took the second half of the table's orders (the first half was already tucking into their food). By the time the second half of us received our food we had been waiting over an hour and the first half had long since finished their meal!! The other table he was focused on had also finished theirs! On inquiring for an explanation, we were told that vegetarian sausages took longer to cook (the irony!) which is not acceptable as not all of the second orders were even vegetarian! Again no apology. Struggled to get any staff attention for more tea/coffee and rather thoughtlessly, when staff brought more tea and coffee, we had to ask again for milk.

Would not stay here again. Service really does cost nothing and whilst a lack of attention and promptness is one thing, the rudeness I personally experienced by the lady on the spa desk is another matter.

I have raised my concerns with the general manager Tony Murdoch and invited him to call me to discuss the issues, but he has not managed to do this.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your review. Firstly may I draw your attention to the inaccuracy of your final comments. You emailed me directly on Sunday, to which I replied some 15 minutes later. I then sent a further email on Tuesday to inform you I was discussing this with the management of the Spa in the afternoon and would call you directly after this, which I duly did and we were able to discuss your comments at some length and to which you thanked me for the call.
Therefore, I must completely disregard your comments in relation to this.
I would also like to thank-you for your great comments on the hotel and its facilities and am glad on the whole that the hotel exceeded your expectations.
As discussed, I have discussed your comments regarding the spa with the management team and can assure you that action has been taken to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept our sincere apologies for this isolated incident. In regards to breakfast, again my sincere apologies for this shortcoming in service. I do believe, my colleague was waiting for some to your party to order, and as he was very busy with a full hotel for breakfast, he advised he would take the first half of your parties order to the kitchen, while the remaining half decided what they would like. On his way straight back, he brought breakfast out to two people on the adjacent table and immediately returned to take the remaining order from your party once the had decided. Please accept my sincere apologies for any confusion this may have caused.
Thank-you for your feedback, which helps us to monitor and improve our operation as necessary. I am delighted that on the whole, you commented that it is a 'wonderful hotel, spa and facilities' and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Stayed for 4 nts in march we were lucky to get upgrade to lovely four poster room in main building which was very nice and spacious.The breakfast is very good(although the sausage over the time got more undercooked to the point i sent it back as it was raw in the centre)the dinner is overpriced for what you get to eat,eg 3slice sirloin and 3 thick chips with no veg for £24,but edible,the bar menu is better value,and filling though,staff are very pleasant and attentive though so enjoyable stay overall

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that the staff looked after you well. We have addressed the sausage issue with our butcher, who has made a change to how it is packed. We found that the sausages were being packed too tightly therefore the heat as unable to penetrate the meat through to the centre. This has now been rectified with loosely packed sausages. I am glad to say this has resolved this situation, but please accept my apologies for this and thank-you for raising these comments. As you mention, we have 2 very different dining options, 1 being our fantastic 2 AA Rosette restaurant and the other being the less formal Celtic Bar & Lounge for people who would prefer a more homely menu whilst being in a hotel for several days. I have however passed out comments on to the Head Chef who will address these with his department.
Thank-you once again for your positive review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights; rooms were OK and staff, on the whole were fine. The dining room was a shambles. Night one: 2hrs 45 for a meal, second night: 1 hr 40 minutes to get one course: third night asked how long it would be to receive a bar meal and was told 45 minutes .... maybe. I eat out. On all occasions, no explanation, just the way it was.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Tony M, General Manager at Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your comments. I am pleased to read you found the room and staff good. I am however, somewhat surprised that you believe the timings to be such as you have said. There appears to be some exaggeration of timings and certainly from our point of view, no-one brought such 'delays' to the attention of any management throughout your stay.
With this being said, we will certainly monitor the situation to ensure improvements are made as necessary.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay at this Hotel for Business.
Just checked in and it's better than I remember from a few years ago.
Service is pleasantly attentive for a Sunday night. Just ordered some food - so will let you know what it's like.
Food is delicious but could of done with a side dish of veg to accompany the main meal.
Seem to be quite a few flies in the bar area - but then we've just had hottest day of the year so far @ 20c and the doors are open.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank-you for your positive review. I am delighted to read its better than you remember!! We have invested heavily in the product over recent years to up-grade and enhance the facilities on offer, coupled with a clear focus on customer care, so am pleased to hear your comments. Thank-you for your comments on the food, these have been passed to Chef. Thank-you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow Cum Quy
Holiday Inn Cambridge
Holiday Inn Cambridge
#11 of 36 in Cambridge
Hilton Cambridge City Centre

Been to Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!