“Rooms okay, restaurant disorganised and food poor”
Review of Hellaby Hall Hotel

Hellaby Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellaby
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My wife and I stopped here for our wedding anniversary on sat 28th Sept. We found the staff in the restaurant to be disorganised, both at breakfast time and dinner time. My choice from the menu was not as described(pork belly), the crackling was not crackled and the veg very minimal! I woke up at midnight feeling very sick and having an upset stomach after the evening meal. At breakfast the hot food ran out on several occasions,not that I had any due to feeling iffy from the meal the night before. There was no organisation by the staff on duty. I had to ask a couple of times to get our table cleared(from the previous people that had used the table) and get clean cutlery and crockery. No direction or attention seemed to be given to any guests arriving for breakfast by the staff.

The room itself was fine, although our king size bed was 2 single beds pushed together.

• Stayed: September 2013
HHgeneralmanager, General Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The hotel has tried to contact you since your departure, sadly without success. I therefore kindly ask you to contact me at your earliest convenience. We are sorry that there was aspects of your stay you didn't enjoy.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Having just had our Daughter and Son in Laws wedding here I can only say you don't get 4* service.

There is a total lack of management on hand and is basically run by a bunch of 'youngsters' who do their best to fumble around many problems.

If you do book a wedding be sure to have every minor detail in writing with every dot and T crossed, even then Hellaby make up what is and isn't legally and binding.

Hellaby Hall is a beautiful venue that could be run to a much more proffesional standard if only it had correct management in place.

Overall what should have been a perfect day was marred by numerous problems caused by lack of organisation on Hellaby Halls part.

Please watch your Wedding Cake as on the night ours all went (4 tiers) even though a contract had been signed requesting the bottom tier be saved!?!?

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We of course have been communicating via email and sorry that you felt the need to write your review.

The hotel appreciates that your role as Mother of the bride wants to be involved in their children's special day. However it does appear on this occasion that your needs and requests were very different to that of the Bride and Groom and whilst the detail discussed with the bride and groom was delivered and they were extremely happy, we are sorry that you had different expectations.

The hotel has tried to contact you again since, sadly without success. I therefore kindly ask you to contact me at your earliest convenience.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night in September.
Booked an executive room and as hellaby hall is supposed to be 4* my expectations were quite high. 4* it is not. The room was unclean, found pubic hairs in the bed and around the room, carpet had not been hoovered either. Nothing executive about the room whatsoever. Totally disappointed. Would not recommend or stay again

1  Thank Donnylass20

Thank you for your review. Our guest's feedback is very important to us, as you can imagine, and I have passed your comments regarding your room onto the team. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and disappointed that we were not made aware of your concerns at the time, when we could have resolved them for you.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on a wowcher deal. Beauty treatments were excellent but the hotel was a major disappointment. The rooms are tired & bed sheets have seen better days.
The service is poor, the main issues being inexperienced staff with no leadership of the hotel. The hair dryer I used broke whilst I was using it. My husband called reception & asked them to send another to our room - he was told he needed to collect another from reception ( not the service expected from a 4 star )
The reastaurant service was shocking , staff that were clueless, we were left to our own devices & every simple question we asked could not be answered. We were brought wine without an ice bucket & when we requested one it was placed on the floor. Breakfast was in edible & limited choice natural yoghurt & a smashed watermelon does not constitute continental breakfast. We left very hungry !
We would have fed this information back when we checked out, however after queuing for 20 mins we weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay - we just wanted to get out there.

I would not return & if we had paid full price for this would feel even more disappointed !

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel J

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves on our food which has received awards but it is clear that you felt we did not hit the mark on this occasion and for that I would like to offer my apologies and those of the Head Chef and the team.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Enticed by the recent "wowcher" deal, my girlfriend and I decided to drive from Edinburgh down to Hellaby Hall en route to our impending move to Leeds. Although the setting is perhaps a bit more urban than the pastoral picture suggests, I can find no reason to fault the hotel itself. The rooms are large, clean, and filled with all of your standard amenities, and although the bar may lack in whisky selection, the friendliness of the staff make up for any shortcomings. This brings me to my most memorable experience of our stay here, our server, Becca. Although we arrived a bit too late for the usual dinner service, Becca was able to find a little leniency from the chef and ensure that we still received our delicious 2-course. And even though the food perhaps lacked in flavour, this was voided by the enjoyable service, good wine (always a prominent factor), and Becca's total enthusiasm for her job.

If you find yourself in this neck of the woods, definitely worth a visit, and make sure that you get a table in Becca's section!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit. I am pleased that you had an excellent stay and enjoyed all aspects of the hotel including our setting. I have shared your review with the team and I know your kind comments will be very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We booked via Groupon for a birthday present for a 'spa day' for my friend. Upon arriving, the room seemed ok (wouldn't have classed it as 4 star but it was fine). We then went across to the 'spa'. This was essentially a leisure centre with 2 plastic chairs and one sun lounger. The beauty clinic had only 1 member of staff so was closed for an appointment and when we called up to book, she informed us they closed at 4, not 5 as stated, and there were no appointments for the morning either. We then spent the evening in our room, where we decided to make the best out of the none-spa situation. There were no dressing gowns in the '4 star' hotel and when We requested them from reception we were told it would cost us £5 each to hire(!!) We declined. The bed linen was thin and old and when we searched in the morning for any times of breakfast we couldn't find them. We turned up for breakfast at 9.40am only to find it had finished.
All in all, what was meant to be a birthday treat was a total disaster and we won't come again, really really disappointed.

3  Thank newcastlechic
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were on a five day dinner,bed and breakfast break to celebrate our parents 50th wedding anniversary. The rooms were comfy and clean but the decor and furnishings were dated and tired. The staff are friendly but young and inexperienced so food service was slow.The evening meal choice was limited and the meat was over cooked and the veg under cooked.The breakfast however, was varied, plentiful, hot and tasty. Several times we went to the bar only to find there wasn't a barman and after waiting around for ages we gave up and went away. After two days (and many visits to the bar) a barman appeared in the bar but when we asked for draught lager we were told they had run out and they wouldn't be getting any in until sometime on Thursday. We were leaving the next morning! The spa was nice but nothing special and the pool was not only used by hotel guests but also outside members and childrens swimming groups. Overall we enjoyed our breakand the hotel is ok but we don't think it should be rated as 4* and wouldn't recommend it to friends or family.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jackie R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellaby
5 mi away
2 mi away
Best Western Consort Hotel
Best Western Consort Hotel
#12 of 15 in Rotherham

Been to Hellaby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!