“Wet weekend in Hellaby”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellaby
Reading, UK
“Wet weekend in Hellaby”
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Stayed one night on 21st June 2008 after a very wet and cold day in South Yorkshire. We were with our grandson and much appreciated the use of the pool and spa facilities.
The evening meal was very acceptable and generally freshly prepared.
The rooms were spacious and had flat screen TV but no WiFi access (wired connections were available).
Breakfast was a disaster since the kitchen was obviously understaffed and they were catering for about 50 guests from the wedding reception held on the previous day.
Staff were helpful and friendly.
We will probably return since there are few decent hotels in the area and the local area is a gastronomic desert.

• Liked — Nice quiet, spacious room
  • Disliked — Poor service at breakfast but hopefully an isolated case
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruce2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
sheffield
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Me and my partner came back from the Hellaby Hall today, we stayed saturday night and it was an amazing experience. We went for a weekend away, and paid about £80 for an above average room including good facilities. We got free access to the leisure centre included with this, so spent the day in the gym, spa and pool. The staff was quite friendly, though we asked for an extra pillow and it took them at least an hour to deliver it to our door. Where our room was situated was good, although quite hard to find and we found when passing the restaurant toilets there was a foul smell. Other than that it was really nice and we enjoyed our stay there. There is meant to be a ghost in the original part of the hotel, however we stayed in the newer part - luckily for myself!! Would definately go again :)

• Liked — where it was situated and the facilities on site
  • Disliked — lack of service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2008

I was going to be working in the area for 8 weeks so I chose this hotel because it was the nearest to where I would be working. All the rooms were spacious and had good sized flat screen tv's. The bathrooms were a good size and the showers were always hot and powerful. The only negative part of my stay was that the restaurant menu was quite limited and the food was sometimes more deserving of a 3 * hotel rating. The highlight of my stay was my 50th Birthday, my wife came to stay overnight and the hotel put us in the honeymoon suite and gave us a meal with a bottle of wine and drinks at the bar, all free of charge. Great customer service !. My thanks to Karen and her staff who were always helpful, friendly and on hand to deal with any problems, nothing was to much trouble for them. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — size of rooms and friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — restaurant
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Reception is bright an airy and check in was quick and efficient. The room was a decent size and felt new and fresh - perhaps it may have been recently redecorated. The bedrooms have a full TV entertainment sytem and high speed interent access is also available.

Bed was large and very comfortable, bathroom was clean and modern. The bedroom overlooked a lawn so the window could be left open at night without traffic noise.

The food in the Hotel restaurant was very good and there was a decent wine list to choose from. The bar was relaxing and is in the old part of the building. Breakfast the follwoing morning was perfect,
traditional fry or cerals and fruit for the health concious.

There is a swimming pool and gym available with towels provided. The pool is large and clean. Sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are also available, all of which were clean and well maintained.

Parking is secure, with a PIN number required to exit. Access is easy as the hotel is close to teh Motorway.

Overall an excellent hotel for families or business travellers.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Dublin
Reviewed February 26, 2008

This is a wonderful hotel with very professional staff. Rooms are very spacious and very nicely decorated. A very friendly atmosphere throughout. Health and Leisure facilities were excellent and we also had a very pleasant dining experience in the restaurant. We will definitely be back!

• Liked — Rooms were very spacious and beds were fab. Decor really pleasant
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Terazzo
Liverpool
Reviewed October 26, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occassions but you would not think so. Each time I have to complete the same details, each time they book me into a twin room and I have requested a refurbished double. The service is becoming worse and worse and at no time has a member of staff asked to carry my bags to the room. Last time I was told that I should come to reception to pick up a breakfast menu.

I also would negotiate on price. On my visit in October I could not find my booking reference, however knew that I had been quoted £114 a night, however (my booking being lost) I was told by the receptionist that the night rate was £75.00.

This hotel does need to improve greatly. One last gripe...... breakfast in room does not include a pot of coffee or tea but a tea bag or coffee sachet. Then boil your own. Not a four star! I stay in numerous hotels and this is gaining ground to bottom of the list.

HMW

• Liked — rooms are ok
  • Disliked — the service is dreadful
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank maggieliverpool

Travelers are raving about these Hellaby hotels

kent
Reviewed October 24, 2007

as booking the hotel i phoned up with the foreign speaker whos english wasnt up to scratch and i felt like she didnt fully understand me, as i tried to book a room she put me on hold for over 10 minutes with out asking if i would hold firstly.
eventually i was transferred to reservations my questions werent answered fully and she seemed new as her knowledge of basic ammenities was very short.
i booked the hotel on short notice so i went through with the booking anyway but was dissapointed as she didnt listen to my needs.

as i arrived at the hotel the histrorical building was lovely and well maintained. but as i checked in i felt as though id made a mistake booking into this hotel. my reservation wasnt booked correctly as my double room was transferred to a twin room and had to wait over an hour for the housekeeping to rectify this error.
on addition to this my luggage was not stored over this period and then i had to carry my own bags to the room with no directions

the bar wasnt staffed properly and waited for ages to be served a drink, which wasnt cold then when i complained they just changed the glass and added lots of ice to cool it down quickly. the bar people need to be trained in compentently serving drinks also i suspect that at least one of them was underage himself.

we later booked a table in the attic restaurant this was booked through reception, but as we arrived at the restaurant there was no recollection of a booking with the waiters.
as we were seated and the menu was presented to use but the covers were worn and stained. the dishes were basic something im used to seeing in a lower star rated hotel.

the waiteress we had "Natasha" was very welcoming and friendly it was as if nothing was to much of a problem for her. however none of the other staff were as friendly as her they seemed bored and looked annoyed when asked the most basic of questions.

the food was simple the presentation of these dishes was terrible as if the chefs didnt care about the dishes. the dessert seemed to be factory brought flawless in presentation but tasted poor. there was no coffee or after dinner drinks offered so we signed the bill(after a 15 minute wait)

as we checked out, we asked to speak to a manager. the reception called the deputy manager who spoke with us about our stay he seemed disinterested and bored with our comments. he didnt offer us a discount let alone an apology!!

• Liked — our waitress "Natasha"
  • Disliked — the reception staff and lack of management
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mr456
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellaby
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Carlton Park Hotel
#8 of 15 in Rotherham
Best Western Premier Doncaster Mount Pleasant Hotel
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels

Been to Hellaby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!