“Not a 4* hotel!”

Hellaby Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hellaby
“Not a 4* hotel!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Me and my partner stayed here for a one night spa break deal from dealmonster. During our stay I had a Swedish massage, which was ok, but I thought this was overpriced and the beautician said she was a hairdresser and I didn't feel she was qualified. Gym was good. The 'spa' is not a spa, it's jus a pool with a sauna and steam room and jacuzzi. The pool had a bad odour and the jaccuzi was cold. The changing rooms are a good size but they also had a bad odour. We ate in the attic restaurant which was very expensive for what we had. It was £25 for a 3 course meal, for desert I had a strawberry cheesecake which cost £6.00 was a very small portion and it was very soggy. We had an executive room which was a good size and clean. The bed was 2 singles pushed together. The breakfast the following morning wasn't hot. We had a cooked breakfast, and although we came down for breakfast at 8.30am (finishes at 9) I expected the plates and food to be hot. The scrambled eggs were also hard. The signs for rooms, restaurant, and spa aren't very clear and we ended up walking around in circles to find our room. We felt there wasn't much to do after eating at night apart from going out of the hotel. staff everywhere in hellaby hall were very kind and helpful. Overall a nice place but if I had paid full price I would have been very disappointed.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Looxloo
Alasdair M, General Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback, in terms of our dinner menu you are welcome to have only one or two courses, we do not enforce a three course meal. Bar food and room service can also be purchased on an individual basis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at Hellaby Hall with my partner for 2 nights. We both found the hotel exceeded our expectations. The staff were all very helpful and the room was lovely. Be sure to try out the spa/swimming pool area, it was great for some afternoon relaxation!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank nicolajane24
Many thanks for your comments, I am delighted you had such a good stay at Hellaby Hall Hotel. I hope we can welcome you back soon
Blackpool
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My daughter and I stayed one night on a 'shop 2 you drop' deal which we paid £95 for D,B&B!
I would have been very disappointed if i had paid more!!
On our arrival there was a young girl on reception,there was hardly any conversation,only spoke about room number and to wave her hand to give us the direction of the bar and restaurant! Our room was in the older end of the hotel that really does need a revamp! The hotel offered free wifi but if i hadnt noticed a flyer placed on the side of reception re the wifi currently not consistent with its connection,i wouldnt have known and as warned from the flyer,i did not have any wifi!
The room and bed was a very good size and the bathroom was on first inspection very nice,but on a closer look was not as clean! The bath taps and tiles had dirt and scum around them that was easily wiped off! The carpet and skirting boards were very dusty and obviously hadnt been cleaned for a long while.
Dinner was lovely,not a lot of choice on the deal but had enough for us as we liked 2 of the options. The service and food was great and the included bottle of wine,i had a red, was lovely!
Breakfast though was a different story! The staff looked as though they just didnt want to be there at all! They were very miserable and just stood behind an empty food station. We had stayed in a Premier Inn the night before and im afraid the Hellaby Hall breakfast was nowhere near the same standard! There was little choice and the hot breakfast that was left out on a self service station was not hot at all!! The coffee and tea was provided 'already made' in urns!!! Not what i would expect in a 4* hotel!!
All in all very disappointed, i would not return im afraid!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Due to the location of this hotel and my company has an account here I stay here almost once a week.

The hotel is rarely busy, the bar menu terrible, the drinks ridiculously expensive.

But my biggest woe is the beds, with economy hotels like the Premier Inn priding themselves on the quality of their beds, Hellaby hall is a joke, gone are the days two single mattresses to make a double is acceptable.

The plus side is the staff are entertaining and the gym is acceptable and as a regular gym goer the reason why I persist at this hotel. However I think I will try the Premier Inn locally just for a good nights sleep!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Alasdair M, General Manager at Hellaby Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I wish you had asked for a different room if you were unhappy. We have fantastic loft style bedrooms which have been recently re furbished, the team would have been happy to move you.

In terms of the the menus, there is over 12 choices of starters, mains and desserts between the menus we offer. We can also happily order other types of food in advance of your visit, we do this for several of our regular guests.

Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance.

Travelers are raving about these Hellaby hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We had a wonderful break at Hellaby Hall Hotel. The suite was enchanting and offered every home comfort (as well as a huge TV with up to date film choice). The bathroom suite was modern and clean and boasted stand alone bath.The gardens were beautiful and we enjoyed a relaxing afternoon in the modern and fully equipped gym and pool and spa.

The food was top class with a lovely fresh lunch of generous proportions. Breakfast was equally delicious.

The staff were friendly and went the extra mile to make our stay memorable.

I would definitely return to the hotel in future and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
I am delighted you found the hotel enchanting, it is a stunning building with so much history attached. Many thanks for your thank you card and sweets you left for the team!

We look forward to welcoming you back for the same weekend next year.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed overnight at this hotel using a voucher from deal monster. As we had only paid £69 for b&b it wasnt a bad price but i would have been very disappointed if i had paid the full price the hotel was charging for the same. The voucher was for an up graded room but as none was available we had a King size room- two beds put together. The room number 1 which we stayed in was ok for the night it was clean, no extra pillows or bedding in the room which we needed, the duvet was well in need of replacing it had more lumps n bumps in it than you could imagine!!
The hotel bar for food and drink was expensive even for an hotel. Breakfast was good.
There was a down side that the gardens are closed when there is a wedding so no where to have a drink outside when the weather is nice.
All the staff that we spoke too were very polite from telephoning to make the reservation to checking out.
Would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feedback, there is Gardens at the front of the hotel and two separate areas for private functions, there is always a place available in the garden for residents to enjoy the grounds.
Hull Yorkshire
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We had an overnight stay at Hellaby Hall, the rooms were very nice pleasant and clean, the staff were very helpful, the package we booked included a 3 course dinner with wine which was excellent. A very enjoyable stay I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am delighted you had an excellent stay at Hellaby Hall hotel, it is a fantastic package that you booked. We have received great feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hellaby
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Carlton Park Hotel
#8 of 15 in Rotherham
Tankersley Manor Hotel - QHotels
Holiday Inn Rotherham-Sheffield M1, Jct. 33

Been to Hellaby Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!