“Low cost, generous portions”
Review of The Halfway Cafe

The Halfway Cafe
Ranked #7 of 9 Restaurants in Vale
Reviewed January 11, 2017

It was during the awkward week between Christmas and New Year that I fancied going out for breakfast. The only problem was finding somewhere that was still open for those few days between the holidays as many places had opted to close. So, taking a chance, I set off towards town to see what I could find. Cafés on The Bridge were closed - no great surprise - so I headed towards town and only got halfway before finding somewhere that was open; serving food and seemingly reasonably priced: The Halfway Café.

There were a few other diners sat down enjoying their breakfasts when I entered and I took a seat to look over the menu. It was your predictable greasy spoon selection of offerings, mostly consisting of breakfast fry-ups of all combinations imaginable and meals served with chips, but the selection was surprisingly large. Well and truly into 'Christmas treat' mode, I ordered the half English (minus the beans, which they substituted for a hash brown free of charge) and a mug of tea at the counter and sat down to take in the atmosphere.

Unlike similar low-cost cafés I've been to, what struck me was the cleanliness and almost homely feel to the place. There were games on a shelf for children and families to play with at their leisure and the café was decked out in playful Christmas decor, such as festive cuddly toys and Star Wars miniatures arranged into Christmas scenes. This was more of a community hub than a greasy spoon and one that seemed to welcome all ages and walks of life.

My mug of tea and food were delivered very quickly and I was soon enjoying an excellent home cooked breakfast. Everything was cooked well and without that greasiness or layer of congealed fat you may come to expect from other cheap cafés. The server was warm, friendly and efficient and the whole experience was a pleasant one. And at the total cost of £5.60 for a good sized breakfast and unlimited tea, you can't go far wrong. Proof that you can't judge a book by its cover!

Reviewed October 26, 2016

A fine place for an early breakfast, at a very reasonable price, free coffee refill with
the breakfast I had, good plain cooking, excellent fast and friendly service.
I am going back it was so good

Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

Great value meals, good selection of meals at very good prices, plenty of seating and fast service. Proper food no poncy meals.

Reviewed July 15, 2015 via mobile

What a great cafe, me and my kids loved it, owner was very welcoming, food was great and very affordable, will be back again soon!

Reviewed March 18, 2015

I tried the breakfast after reading all the reviews .......... It was OK but certainly nothing special !! didn't make me want to come back again. sorry