“Great food, great service”
Review of Valans

Valans
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Llandybie
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I booked to go to Valans when we were in Llandybie over the weekend. We had been to Valans before for a family lunch and enjoyed everything. My husband ordered steak(rare) which was cooked perfectly and I ordered sea bass, which was delicious. The bread we had as a starter was wonderful and we both had different puddings - my husband had a apple and blackberry crumble, whilst I had a chocolate pudding. We were impressed with the attention to detail as well as the quality of the ingredients. Will definitely be going back!

• Visited November 2012

“Not impressed”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Heard a lot of good reviews and went along with wife and two others. Decor was modern and crisp. Plenty of room and comfortable seats. The bread starter was excellent and good value. I ordered the fillet steak which I am very partial to. Got the wrong steak and did not realise on the first cut, and once I noticed I told the waiter, who very nicely apologised... But did nothing to rectify the mistake. Not to make a fuss as it was a special event I ate the steak, which was way over cooked...disappointed and did not order a sweet. they took money off the bill for their mistake...not sure I will give it a go again as its about 28 miles from home...shame.

1 Thank Chris2672
Swansea, United Kingdom
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We had high expectations of Valans after reading the reviews, and on recommendation. However, we were not particularly impressed.

I had the three course, Saturday, set menu. Lovely starters of Welsh rarebit, followed by duck confit on (I think, sweet potato) mash, with a sticky sweet red sauce. The duck was on the dry side, the mash suspiciously hot, and just too much sauce. The mash lacked flavour. My desert of fresh fruit pavlova, however, was lovely! My husband ordered a medium rare fillet steak, and the other gentleman in our party ordered the fillet medium to well. After starting to eat, my husband realised he had the wrong meal, he had been presented with a well done steak (which was very small, possibly because it was over cooked). The other gentleman had tucked into his steak, which was medium, but to his liking. Neither of the steaks were cooked as ordered. Once it had become apparent that there had been a mistake, the nice young gentleman waiter apologised and admitted it was his mistake. However, no attempt was made to remedy the situation. Not wishing to make a fuss we carried on, quite expecting an offer of complimentary coffee or similar, in way of recompense. However, we were presented with the bill, without any attempt made to compensate! We did highlight our dissatisfaction before paying, and the bill was reduced by £10.

There was a large party booked into the restaurant at the same time, and I think this may have contributed to standards, for us at least, not being what we had expected.

It's a shame because this was a joint Anniversary meal. The other couple were satisfied and will probably return. I'm not sure we will though!

1 Thank AmandaNeath
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Great”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a lovely place to have a great meal ( plenty of options ) at a reasonable price, Nice homely atmosphere and good service. Staff are great and all facilities top notch.
Will return.

• Visited July 2012
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely veggie options”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a lovely restaurant with amazing veggie options and even better dessert. Friendly Welsh hospitality at its best.

Visited August 2012