Aultbea Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Poolewe Hotel(Poolewe)
Travelocity
$267
The Millcroft(Gairloch)
Agoda.com
Dundonnell Hotel(Little Loch Broom)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnew ownersscallop starterdining roomwester rosswarm welcomefish piejacuzzi bathfine diningscottish ginsgreat stopexcellent foodportion sizebar foodbreakfast choicesloved this hotelcomfortable loungemacaroni cheese
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Having frequented the restauant for many years we were apprehensive about eating there on holiday this year. We need not have worried. We ate there 4 times and were very impressed by the food and by the much improved ambience. The new owners have worked so hard in their short time there and already improvements can be seen. They are most attentive to the needs of their guests. They have not made the mistake of changing everthing wholesale but are instead impoving the hotel gradually. We were glad the menu is almost the same but I believe mosr local produce will be introduced. The bistro has already been transformed by Robin himself.
It is a pity that there have been a couple of total;ly negative reviews as we feel that the hotel has been poorly portrayed by nit pickers!
cayy on the good work
Carry on the good work but keep the good bits as they are . We look forward to our next meal there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Tired, neglected and poorly run. I understand that it is up for sale and it shows. We were only eating and not staying so can only comment on the food and bar. An unwelcoming dark entrance leads to a darker lounge bar. Indifferent staff, poor menu, mediocre beer it is the place that time forgot. Yes the restaurant menu is fancy and okay but still not making the most of local ingredients, it is a strange mix of dishes with no logic or thought to it. The bar meals are from the 80s complete with fake wicker basket, under cooked chips and tasteless frozen scampi and burgers.
In an area with so much world-class seafood, great local produce they are missing out and lagging badly behind both what the customer wants and the competition.
The final embarrassment is the fact that the staff had no knowledge of malt whisky despite pushing the whisky map and a range of malts. A couple asked the waitress for a recommendation for a certain kind of malt and she tried to sell one the opposite end of the taste range. She admitted to not understanding the product or the tasting map. Simple if you are pushing products make sure the staff understand them!!
The whole place is back to front, the kitchen has the outstanding sealoch views and the bar is without any!
In need of severe TLC and upgrading the building, layout, decor and staff. Can not recommend at all. Should be a superb place but is sadly lacking in anything good other than the location. It doesn't even have local competition, maybe that is the problem

6  Thank uncleTJ
BasilForever26, Owner at Aultbea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

As the new owners (of 4 weeks) it is reassuring that we are focusing our energy on the areas that are most important to our guests.

Since taking over we have already refurbished the main entrance to the hotel and the waterside conservatory that enjoys expansive views over the loch to the Torridon mountains - we have uploaded some pictures of these areas so you can see the changes.

There is certainly a lot still to do - whisky training included - but you are absolutely right that the location and potential are immense.

It would be great if you could visit again when you are next in the area and sample the new seafood menu which now includes a range of fish dishes from the local Smoke House as well as fresh lobster, langoustine and crab claws - and I promise not a wicker basket in sight!

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We had a meal in the aultbea hotel last night and I thought the work that has been getting done to improve the hotel is good. The hotel is looking as a welcoming place to go. I understand the new owner have not been there too long but I can see the improvements now. The meal did have its ups and downs. The setting was nice and comfortable the food needs a little work. The starters we had were lovely, the salmon and the pate were great and I would order again. The steak pie was not great and the chips were frozen ones which I would not recommend. The sirloin we had was not cooked to the requested order and I did tell my husband to return and the kitchen would have made it right, so really not all the chefs fault but it shouldn't have needed to be returned. The haddock was ok but not great. The puddings were great. Service was good and very friendly and helpful which is great to make your visit a good experience. I know I have mentioned a few things that could do with a little change but I would still return and I would recommend other to try. I hope the new owners have all the success they wish for as they are giving it a good go.

Room Tip: Sorry did not stay
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights in May, just wanted a peaceful time away and that's what we got.
Room--- Lovely room overlooking the loch, spacious and comfy bed. Tea and coffee making facilities. Flat screen TV, but very difficult to watch as it kept going squidgy. They did offer a replacement but I said not to bother. Bathroom was quite big, his n hers sink complimentary toiletries.shower was good and large bath.
WIFI not great but you are in the middle of nowhere.

We ate in the restaurant the first night, hubby ordered the lamb but it came cold, got it heated up .
I had the Lasagne which was nice.
Next night I ate in the lounge part of the hotel, I ordered the chilli and chips. The chilli was not heated up properly, it had hot and cold spots which you get when heated up in micro and not stirred half way thru. Young guy took plate away and heated up the chilli but when he brought it back my chips were going cold. Couldn't be bothered telling him about the chips lol.

Staff were very pleasant and smart.

Breakfast was the usual choice but when my full Scottish came it came minus the sausage. I asked if the sausages were finished and the waitress did apologise and brought it out to me.

That's what happened to us on our 2 nights stay, would we stay again??????

Room Tip: A room overlooking the Loch.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The staff we encountered were lovely - pleasant, efficient and professional. The building or at least those parts accessible to non-residents, and the small garden overlooking the foreshore is a bit tired. The bar is comfortable and offers a good selection of the usual drinks. We chose to eat in the restaurant / dining room (other options are an area titled the Bistro and the bar) The room is very nice with a view over Loch Ewe but the food was not up to our expectations. Good local ingredients were on offer - locally smoked salmon etc - but put together and presented in a way that did nothing to enhance the flavour or appearance. I had fishcakes for my main course - which were good, but came with a bowl of no less than 14 new potatoes on the same plate and a small, undressed salad topped with a piece of orange. It just did not work. The fishcakes were really good and with different finishing touches or side orders could have been quite special.