“stayed on the 15th July 2013.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Dalwhinnie B&B and Inns
Crieff, Scotland, United Kingdom
“stayed on the 15th July 2013.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Thank you for the lovely stay with a nice freshly cooked breakfast and I like the extra like putting squash in the room(great when its hot!!!).Maybe next time I will try a cooked evening meal. Glad I cycled from Kingussie to Pitlochry as leaving your bed and breakfast ITS ALL DOWN HILL (great fun)

Room Tip: Just yards from the number 7 cycle route ideal
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Shaun A
annBalsporranB_b, Owner at Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thanks for your review Shaun, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.. We've had orange squash in our rooms for a number of years now, a lot of people don't drink tea or coffee and like you say its great when its hot.
You had wonderful weather or your ride to Pitlochry, it's certainly a lovely ride.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stopped in and asked for a coffee, offering to pay. The female owner said no bit her husband made is coffee. After we finished we took our cups in and offered £10 for the three drinks. The female tool the money but her facial expressions were really hostile. We asked to use the toilet and she agreed with poor grace. As we waited to use the toilet the silence was awkward so we tried to engage in conversation. I can honestly say nobody has ever been that openly rude and hostile to me. She also said. When we enquired, that they do evening meals for guests but she didn't like it when people ask as its hassle. I can understand why they found our request unconventional but they could have turned us down politely. Having chosen not to do so, they should have offered us change from the £10 and having accepted it, they shod at least have been civil . I would not stay in a place where I had been treated so poorly. My friends and I are spreading the word.

Stayed July 2013
3 Thank PEGS40
annBalsporranB_b, Owner at Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
I'm sorry you thought I was rude when you randomly knocked on the door and asked for coffees.I said no but the person at the door said something like " we'd really, really love a coffee before we go up the hill " So my husband made some.
When money was offered for the coffees it was phrased in such a way that I thought change wasn't wanted or I would have given it.
I didn't say that it was a hassle to cook for guests in the evening, that is part of what we do !
but I did say that it was a hassle when passing strangers knock on the door wanting drinks or the toilet at all times of day
Scottish Highlands, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Great location for hill-walking, especially when you can set off suitable fuelled up with tasty breakfast and come off the hill to a delicious dinner. Nice residents's sitting room for relaxing in and very welcoming owners. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Takoronga
Kinnesswood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

This was my last night on a 12 day 720 mile cycle tour. Although I arrived early this was not a problem and was made most welcome. Food is cooked to order and great. I left the following morning very well rested and fed. My hosts were very friendly and helpful. I would have no hesitation recommending this overnight to other cyclists.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Neil4993
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for just shy of a week over Easter. It was a very handy base for exploring the Highlands and we totally fell in love with every vista that greeted us around every turn. The bed was comfy, the cooked breakfast warming and filling and a great start to the day. Dalwhinnie's charm is its isolation, it truly is remote and this was a great central base for exploring. If, however, the A9 is closed due to weather conditions then you will be stuck!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank CaesarWendover
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I was so pleased with my choice. It took some searching for an overnight stop and I couldn't believe my luck in finding this gem of a B & B where you can also have a home cooked evening meal. My room was small but so, so comfortable and I slept really well. The lounge is a very pleasant room where you can sit by the fire to read or chat to other guests. The only problem I had with the little trains was that they passed too quickly for me to grab a camera and take a photo! I felt very much at home here as the owners were very kind and welcoming. I will definitely stay here again when I go up north and have passed the details on to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank scotiaScotland
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I have passed this B&B several times on route south from Inverness and have always thought what a stunning location, within easy access of the A9 sitting within walking distance of several munros surrounded by heather moors.
I stayed for a night in April and was not disappointed ..... excellent hosts, comfortable bedroom and guest lounge with stunning views. My bedroom was classed as a single but the bed was 3/4 size and extremely comfortable. My cosy room offered a selection of books, as well as the usual tea and coffee I found mineral water and orange to dilute. I couldn't hear any traffic noise and only heard two trains passing one around 10.00pm and the next the following morning.The ensuite toilet and shower room was small but big enough for a single traveller, maybe not if a six foot male though!
The breakfast was delicious, I'm not a great sausage fan but I must admit the venison sausages were pretty tasty! Although I did not have an evening meal I studied the menu and it looked quite impressive. Just wish I could have stayed longer .....mental note made .... next time bring my husband , arrive a little earlier and enjoy an evening meal there too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dalwhinnie
The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
Tigh an Each
Tigh an Each
#9 of 16 in Newtonmore
4.5 of 5 stars 11 reviews

Been to Balsporran Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!